What golf course setup makes it the toughest for you to score?

What golf course setup makes it the toughest for you to score?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OITW

Reaction score
Which factor in the setup of a course will really hurt your score?

Length - If a course is too long or too short for you liking?
Water Hazards - Too many water hazards that make it too tough for you?
Sand Bunkers - Whether it is a Fairway bunker or greenside does this hurt your score?
Small Fairways -
Postage stamp greens?

Something else? What factor when playing a course really will really negatively impact your game?

For me it would have to be length, I like the difficulty the other factors can add to a round, but if the course plays too long I'm in trouble.

Small, or pinched fairways. When the course takes away a driver-length landing zone the course will get longer.

Tree lined fairways. They can cost me multiple strokes on multiple holes. Lucky for me that is basically every course up here. :banghead: I usually shoot in the 90's at my home course but have no issues shooting low 80's when I travel.

small fairways, too easy to go OB or have to punch out due to inconsistency with driver

Length is my number 1 issue for sure!!!

Narrow fairways/landing zones get in my head and I try to guide the ball. Very bad results.

Tight/narrow fairways with OOB or hazards.

tight fairways would be my first thought. Length hasn't been an issue for me which is lucky

In this day & age of courses getting longer and longer, anything over 7000+ yards is just too long to have any fun.

I would also add extremely long rough & greens that are hard & fast. Basically set up for a US Open.

I just don't have the game to enjoy a round in those type of conditions anymore. When I was young, sure.

None of these really effect me. What gets me out of my game is slow play or an overbooked course. So I went with other.

In this day & age of courses getting longer and longer, anything over 7000+ yards is just too long to have any fun.

I would also add extremely long rough & greens that are hard & fast. Basically set up for a US Open.

I just don't have the game to enjoy a round in those type of conditions anymore. When I was young, sure.

Good call on the rough, that can hurt a round

Length for me. I dont hit it that far, but dont miss many fairways. So if its tight and short it doesnt bother me much. Anything over 6700 yards or so is a bit long for me.

I went with other. I play a lot of golf at Furnace Brook Golf Club in Quincy and there's only 3 holes of the 9 that are flat. All of the other holes you are playing with the ball either above or below your feet so for that reason I am saying uneven lies hurt my game the most.

Water along with Bermuda Greens.

Anything with a lot of right to left angles or lines. I fight those hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, the one biggest factor that makes any course tough to score is my own inconsistencies. If you cant maintain good ball striking for enough shots in a round, then you simply cant score well. Its that simply really, regardless of the course.

Trees are my enemies. On Tight tree lined courses my game becomes strictly survival.

There is a course near me that has bunkers front right and left and rear right and left on almost every hole and it's impossible to avoid them all. Another hazard is the many tree branches that overhang some of the fairways. You can hit the right or left edges of the fairways and still not have a clear second shot because of the overhanging branches.

Narrow fairways, especially when missing them is dead. If I have a bailout and a chance to recover I can get around and enjoy doing it. OB, Water, Trees....the numbers can add up quick.

It has to be small/tight fairways especially if they're playing with US Open type rough. My game is best suited for a large margin of error.

I can generally take lines that avoid water unless the course is totally ridiculous. Length I have no answer for except to hit the ball more times. Fortunately most courses offer tees that let me play to my relative shortness.

i said small greens, because missing greens and not getting up and down is the biggest killer for me.

but i could have said length, because i'm not the longest and i'm not great with long clubs into greens.

but i could have said narrow fairways because a missed fairway into the trees or other junk usually means a missed green and see above.

but i could have said water hazards because if i'm missing greens see above.

Kind of a tie between tight fairways and postage stamp greens, but I voted for the tight fairways.

Back