PSi irons for high handicapper?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I went to get fit tonight with the intentions of getting the Srixon Z565 but they just weren't working for me. The clubs that actually worked best were the TM PSi with the Modus 120 S shaft 1* flat and +1". I'm not a fast swinger by any means (between 76-80 with the 6i) but everything I read about the PSi and the Modus 120 is that they are geared towards better players so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around these being the ideal irons for me.

I thought the balance and the feel of that shaft and head combination felt smooth but ball striking with my irons is not my strong suit and my miss is typically low on the face. Has anyone else of a high handicap been fitted into these and how did it work for you? Obviously the irons are expensive so I want to make sure I make the right call. I'm not as concerned about the shaft as I know flex is subjective around bend points etc. it is the iron head I am concerned about.

What other irons did you try out? I would think the c200s might not be a bad option for ya

PSi irons for high handicapper?

I love my Bridgestone JGR's. So sweet that forged feeling. And Recoil Shafts.

What other irons did you try out? I would think the c200s might not be a bad option for ya

Being a lefty options were limited. No C200 was available. I tried the Z565 and the Callaway XR. I had asked about the M2 as an option due to my handicap level since the PSi seemed the best of what I had available but he didn't think that would provide much lift based on what he saw of my swing and that the PSi is something I could grow into as I improve.

How does the club know what your handicap is?

If it works, use it

i have a set of Psi irons on order with graphite shafts and hit them great. Went for the reax graphite shaft as i found the stock graphite too stiff for me. I currently play Ping I irons and have no trouble hitting them. I don`t like chunky game improvement irons and prefer a smaller head. If you hit them well then i don`t see what the problem is. The PSI irons have allot of tech to help with mishits .

With a different opinion : no Taylormade as imo they dont stack up against Mizuno JPX ez irons with a True Temper XP 95 shaft which is very solid and offers same distance as graphite and for a game improvement iron is a little larger and offer both for forgiveness , distance and a easy to look at design and color

With a different opinion : no Taylormade as imo they dont stack up against Mizuno JPX ez irons with a True Temper XP 95 shaft which is very solid and offers same distance as graphite and for a game improvement iron is a little larger and offer both for forgiveness , distance and a easy to look at design and color
I also have jpx ex16 forged in graphite, and they are easy to hit, i found the PSI irons just as easy to hit for me

If it works, use it
That is true. The face slots do seem to help where my miss is. I guess I am equating the PSi being a better player's iron to not being as forgiving so if this is working pretty well for me, there must be something in the game improvement category that would work for me and be more forgiving. Maybe that is true. Maybe it isn't

I don't know much about the difference between the PSi and the RSi irons, but I have a couple of RSi's in the bag and the face slots do seem to help a lot.

I say if the PSi work for you and you like them a lot better than your current irons - go with it. Maybe you're just a better player than you thought? Maybe you should try the 765's! :act-up:

I don't know much about the difference between the PSi and the RSi irons, but I have a couple of RSi's in the bag and the face slots do seem to help a lot.

I say if the PSi work for you and you like them a lot better than your current irons - go with it. Maybe you're just a better player than you thought? Maybe you should try the 765's! :act-up:

That is certainly something to think about. I think my biggest struggle related to handicap has been my iron play. So is my handicap higher because my current irons are no longer a fit for my swing? In theory if I get the PSi based what I saw in the fitting and become more consistent, it actually might help my game fall into the mid to lower range that the club is actually designed for by having them actually fit more to my swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even know why you're questioning it, honestly? You were fitted and these were the best performers, no? My buddy who is like an 18-20 HDCP just got a set of PSi's and he LOVES them. Get it out of your head that you're a "high handicapper" and just play the irons. The clubs & ball have no idea what your handicap is. Use the tools you were fit for & put your best swing on every shot.

I have the RSi2 irons (best irons I've ever owned), which the PSi is basically an "updated" version of them, just with a slightly different shape and improved sound. Go for the PSi's - you won't regret it.

As a few others have already said, if they work for you then why question it?

I have a friend who has these and he currently plays off something like 24

Thanks everyone for the input. The biggest reason I've been hesitant is that I had not researched them before and it does appear that they are pretty forgiving for being considered a "player's iron"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the JPX's not working? I would not expect much upgrade in 1 iron release cycle.

Dave

Are the JPX's not working? I would not expect much upgrade in 1 iron release cycle.

Dave
Not really. My swing has changed over the last couple of years. I was 2 degrees upright when fitted for the Mizuno 2 years ago. I'm now 1 degree flat and My XP115 R shafts I have seem to balloon on me a bit and probably spin a bit too much.

My search is not so much that the irons are bad but that I've outgrown my original fitting 2 years ago and they just aren't right for me any longer.

my PSi irons , just arrived, will give them a test over the weekend. Only got fitted and ordered on Saturday and arrived on Thursday

That is true. The face slots do seem to help where my miss is. I guess I am equating the PSi being a better player's iron to not being as forgiving so if this is working pretty well for me, there must be something in the game improvement category that would work for me and be more forgiving. Maybe that is true. Maybe it isn't
Same boat as you, I walked into the store thinking I would get fit into the callaway Steelhead irons, ended up getting fit into the Titleist 714 MB's... pure player iron and I'm a 19 handicap, it's not about what the club is designed for, it's how you hit the club, I just seemed to hit that club the best and like aklawitter said... the club doesn't know your handicap.

Not really. My swing has changed over the last couple of years. I was 2 degrees upright when fitted for the Mizuno 2 years ago. I'm now 1 degree flat and My XP115 R shafts I have seem to balloon on me a bit and probably spin a bit too much.

My search is not so much that the irons are bad but that I've outgrown my original fitting 2 years ago and they just aren't right for me any longer.

Makes sense! I would go back and hit the psi irons again to make sure you feel comfortable a second time. If you do that and hit them great it'd appear to be a really great fit.

Dave

Last edited:

If it works, use it

This nailed it. When I was last fit for Mizuno irons, they put me in a class of irons I would have never ever considered - I wanted something more forgiving. But ... the numbers didn't lie, I hit the ball in the center of the face and the spin and distances were spot on. If you find a good fitter and you try multiple clubs, go for it.

Practice, practice, practice. I say play the iron that you like, and that feels good. My first set was a set of hand me down blades. Everyone said they weren't right for me and I should play GIs. I played those blades from a beginner who barely understood the game to a single digit handicap in 2.5 years.

Learn how to play your clubs, don't let the clubs play you. I think if the PSi set feels the best, run with them! See you on the course!

first round with the PSi irons today. Did OK, hit the 7-AW great, still a bit iffy with the 6 iron, hit it 3 times and caught each one fat. Just need to practice wirth it a bit more.

Weather was wild with 20mph wind gusts and pouring rain and still got 34 stableford points. So not a bad start with the new sticks.

The question to ask is why are you a high handicapper? I struggled with this and went with GMax because of it. My game struggled. With the Apex CF 16 my scores are much lower. My handicap is higher than it should be because of bad chips/putts and random bad drives than run up my score.

Back