Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Swing Coach asked me to put together a list of goals that I would have for the 2017 season so that we can work on them over the winter of 2016/2017.

Lower scores I'm thinking, is not what he is asking for.

So here is my list for 2017:
  1. More GIR per round - 21% is not cutting it.
  2. Better Par 3 performance 22% par or better - not cutting it.
  3. Better command of my iron distances
  4. More Consistent from the Tee
  5. Eliminate 1 Penalty (Bunkers, OB/WH) per round.
  6. Break 90
  7. Get Handicap Down in the upper teens

Look Complete? What would you add?

Last edited:
Better course management. I'm still amazed at how many bogey golfers hit the wrong club so many times each round.

Fewer double bogeys. If I do that the handicap will plummet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better course management. I'm still amazed at how many bogey golfers hit the wrong club so many times each round.

I can't agree with you more, I need it for sure - however how does one work on that in a Dome environment?
That is why I went with Iron Distances.

Does getting into the Grandaddy count????

Consistency

My teaching pro assures me that if I continue to improve the way I have from the first lesson to the latest one I had on Tuesday, I will be down to single figures easily next year. I just need to keep the consistency to ensure the double bogeys stay off my card (none on Sunday and shot +8, 3 on Saturday and shot +11) as those are what tend to ruin my score these days

Does getting into the Grandaddy count????
Sure - but how does my game help me get in the Grandaddy - isn't it pretty random?

Last edited:
My goal is to fall in love with the game again. I've gotten very complacent with golf this year and I do not seem to enjoy the game as much as I had in recent years.

My Goals for 2017 are:

1. Become as close to scratch as i can from my current 9.1
2. Win my Flight or Division in my club championship
3. Get better with my short game and putting.
4. Improve consistency throughout the bag, its not bad but it could be better.

My Swing Coach asked me to put together a list of goals that I would have for the 2017 season so that we can work on them over the winter of 2016/2017.

Lower scores I'm thinking, is not what he is asking for.

So here is my list for 2017:
  1. More GIR per round - 21% is not cutting it.
  2. Better Par 3 performance 22% par or better - not cutting it.
  3. Better command of my iron distances
  4. Eliminate 1 Penalty (Bunkers, OB/WH) per round.
  5. Break 90
  6. Get Handicap Down in the upper teens

Look Complete? What would you add?
For you, based on what I saw on Sunday, is more consistency off the tee. Your short game is really, really solid so if you could get around the greens with a chance to get up and down for par or bogey more often, your handicap would drop like a rock.

Its not so much about hitting more FIR or GIR, but just managing the course and, in turn, your misses on a higher level.

To be a single digit handicapper for at least one day of my life.

Also, I want to play a round at or below par at a par 33 executive course near my house.

Last edited:
more consistency. i hate having the capability of having a 10-15 stroke blowup round over what i expect to shoot.

For you, based on what I saw on Sunday, is more consistency off the tee. Your short game is really, really solid so if you could get around the greens with a chance to get up and down for par or bogey more often, your handicap would drop like a rock.

Its not so much about hitting more FIR or GIR, but just managing the course and, in turn, your misses on a higher level.

Thanks for your input - Amazingly enough, my tee game is usually pretty consistent and my short game is not solid.
The complete opposite happened to me in Vegas. What I thought would "Travel" didn't and what I thought wouldn't - did!

However with that being said, I'll add Tee Consistency to my list. Easy enough to work on in the dome.

For me, I feel like I have every shot I need to lower my handicap, but it's just a matter is execution I guess. I'm getting more pars than ever before but also have a few blow up holes that are killing me. So I suppose my goal is to learn how to salvage a hole better.

Walk more is another goal.

Also, time to think about getting my first eagle.

Better course management.
More fairways, less penalties.
Figure out how to hit a wedge.
No more three-putts.
Beat Alyssa…

Have Fun
Play more golf

Thanks for your input - Amazingly enough, my tee game is usually pretty consistent and my short game is not solid.
The complete opposite happened to me in Vegas. What I thought would "Travel" didn't and what I thought wouldn't - did!

However with that being said, I'll add Tee Consistency to my list. Easy enough to work on in the dome.
Well then! Haha. Keep doing whatever you were doing in Vegas, because it sure looked like you knew what you were doing around the greens!

I guess what Im getting that is that if you arent hitting your driver well or are lacking confidence on a certain day, pull a club off the tee that you are confident in more often than not, so that you can avoid trouble and stay in play. 20-30 yards shorter and in play is better than longer and under a tree or bush or whatever.

I had been playing my 3 and 5 wood off the tee almost exclusively for the past month because I have had no consistency with my driver so keeping it in the ballpark was priority #1 . Sunday was actually my best driver day in quite some time so I hit it a bunch, but having a back up plan in case things go south is usually a good idea.

It helps make the bad days much less so.

Sure - but how does my game help me get in the Grandaddy - isn't pretty random?

Of course but it is a major goal. My game won't have anything to do with it!

My game goals are to continue to work on conditioning and strength!! Improved putting wouldn't hurt either!!

I played some real good golf this year sandwiched between periods of unexplainable sh!t shows.

I need to understand and learn how to get my good swing back when things go south.
I know I have it in me.
I just don't get how, like a switch, I can have a 20 stroke difference in my game.

Coming down to the wire, and handicap sits at a 21.2 trend right now. If I don't break into the teens by this winter, my goal is come roaring out of the gates in 2017 and shatter my handicap into the low teens. My other goal is to simply become a better ball striker. Once I start making better contact, I can focus on course management.

1. Start to keep track of a handicap
2. Take 2-3 practice swings before each shot since I tend to rush
3. Tending to rush means I don't visualize a shot or pick a target
4. Practice putting and bunker shots more. I tend to chip for 10-15 minutes then go straight to the range
5. Shoot in the low-mid90s and go lower from there!

Improve GIR (hovering around 20-25%....yuck)
Improve long iron accuracy (6, 5 & 4...one of the reason my GIR is shyte)
Improve chipping (especially short chips from heavy lies)
Continue to snip away at the tail on the end of my drives (had a bit too much fade creep back in, in the second half of this summer)..although I hover around 70% for Fairways, which isn't the worst ever.

Ultimate Goal is to be mid to low 80's by end of next summer

Since I finally broke 80 on Tuesday, these are my goals for next year:
Get down to a single handicap which requires
Consistency
Better putting
More GIR & FIR

Tall order for sure

Back