2013 Callaway X-Forged Irons Preview

Colt, nice choice brother. Did you have them adjusted to your specs? I had mine adjusted and it was night and day.

Colt, nice choice brother. Did you have them adjusted to your specs? I had mine adjusted and it was night and day.

Yes I did. I've been playing my clubs a half inch long for quite some time. I had a guy at Golf Galaxy (actually a really smart and attentive dude for once) look at my stance, swing, and measurements. We decided on standard length since I seem to have longer arms than most people my height. We went 1.5* upright as well. The guy measured the lofts for me and surprisingly they were all dead on. Jumbo GP Tour velvets for all my clubs.

They hit like a linebacker, dude. Just so solid.

One thing I don't like about them though. I'm a bit OCD and the V-grooves are damn near impossible to clean! It's a small rant, but I had to have something bad to say.

One more thought before the night is out. These heads, they spin. A lot. I wonder if Callaway decided to go with the PXi because they are probably the next best thing to the C-Taper for knocking down spin.

I fit really well into the PXi 6.0 and had it in one of my sets of i20's. The only problem there was that the i20 is a low spinning iron head. I decommissioned the shaft pairing because I wasn't holding greens well with the setup.

On the range today I was literally stopping 6 irons on a dime on the range with range balls. At first I thought maybe I just got a weird bounce, but then I noticed that each ball was kind of hopping and trying to come back when they landed. It was pretty consistent.

Anybody else think that's what Callaway was going for when they chose the PXi? Knocking off a little spin?

Last edited:
One more thought before the night is out. These heads, they spin. A lot. I wonder if Callaway decided to go with the PXi because they are probably the next best thing to the C-Taper for knocking down spin.

I fit really well into the PXi 6.0 and had it in one of my sets of i20's. The only problem there was that the i20 is a low spinning iron head. I decommissioned the shaft pairing because I wasn't holding greens well with the setup.

On the range today I was literally stopping 6 irons on a dime on the range with range balls. At first I thought maybe I just got a weird bounce, but then I noticed that each ball was kind of hopping and trying to come back when they landed. It was pretty consistent.

Anybody else think that's what Callaway was going for when they chose the PXi? Knocking off a little spin?

I don't know if that's what made them go PXi, but I'm seeing much more iron spin than I was with my i20s. Lots more (in a good way).

I don't know if it's the smaller club head making me concentrate better, the shorter shafts I'm playing now, or whatever it is really, but I had my best day of iron striking that I've had in a long time today. Oh how sweet they felt as well. Just so solid.

The ball was coming off center face on almost every shot, it was flying straight and high, and it was just going where I wanted it to for the most part.

I can really see the progressive COG in the X-Forged, which was nice. Short irons flew fairly flat and controlled and the longer irons got up quick and in a hurry and just kept carrying. Usually I read about tech like that and find myself on the course thinking "gimmicks". Not this time.

Spin is what continues to impress me with these. I was excited to get back into a set of higher spinning irons and these definitely fit the bill. Had 187 to the flag on a par 3 today and even though I drifted to the right portion of the green just a tad, my 5i landed pin high and stopped less than a foot and a half away from its pitch mark. It's not often I get to putt for bird on that long of a par 3.

Overall I'm very happy with today. Played with Kobey and shot an 83.(much of it thanks to these girls) It was a good day.

Just wanted to say I got these from my club pro. They were his and we have the same specs. I loved the looks when when he got them and when he got a new set this past winter I got these. Kicked my I-20s out of the bag the moment I got my hot little hands on them. They might be a little too much bat for me but man do they feel great at impact and boy they fly. I am a typical club hoe but these are the marrying kind of irons. Only complaint is no A wedge.

I really love the look of these. I need to hit a few balls with them soon so I can see if they feel as good as they look

I think they look great and feel better than they look. Just love puring a shot into the green clubs just gives so much feedback I feel it made me better. Such a different feel from my I-20s

Just received my set in the mail and now Im debating shaft options. I was thinking Project X PXIs. Is this a .355 tapered tip? I prefer a high ball flight with med spin, any suggestions?

Just received my set in the mail and now Im debating shaft options. I was thinking Project X PXIs. Is this a .355 tapered tip? I prefer a high ball flight with med spin, any suggestions?

Those should be .355. I've become partial to the Nippon offerings as they helped raise my spin numbers a bit and I love the feel. Solid options from KBS as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are taper tip. Let me know if you're seriously considering the PXis. I have a set of 4-P 6.0s I'm looking to unload.

The buzz surrounding these right now is pretty high and THP wanted to share some photos of the new line coming in January. More details are available here.

http://bit.ly/QFzUNF

X-Forged-Iron-L.jpg

DSC5566-L.jpg

Phil-bag-3-L.jpg

Oh so beautiful! I've been playing Callaway X-Forged irons for 3 years now and absolutely love them.

Oh so beautiful! I've been playing Callaway X-Forged irons for 3 years now and absolutely love them.

That they are. I gamed a set for part of 2013 and loved the look of them. They're still on the wall at Golf Galaxy and when I'm in there I go back and hit them from time to time.

Those should be .355. I've become partial to the Nippon offerings as they helped raise my spin numbers a bit and I love the feel. Solid options from KBS as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never really considered Nippon but now I will look into them and KBS more. Thank You

They are taper tip. Let me know if you're seriously considering the PXis. I have a set of 4-P 6.0s I'm looking to unload.

new?

Last edited:
For me these are the most beautiful and best performing club from Callaway I've ever hit, man they look Hot!

For me these are the most beautiful and best performing club from Callaway I've ever hit, man they look Hot!
These are back in my bag

I just saw them on special at a shop here in NZ, serious ponder mode! I have always loved these and would probably get a good trade in price for my irons considering their condition. Hmmmmmmmm...........

I would love to have a set of these for messing around or for whenever I get delusions of thinking I'm good at golf. Such a great looking iron. I wonder how cheap these can be had now? I know I'd rather have these than the Apex Pro's by a mile.

I almost bought a set of these back in '13. Glad I didn't cause I STILL don't have the game for them, but man are they gorgeous and feel excellent. Great, great stock shaft too.

How do these compare to the J40s?

How do these compare to the J40s?

Sent you a PM but they are very comparable to the J40 CB's, while being less forgiving than the DPC's in my opinion.

One more comparison? How do the X-Forged compare to the TM Tour Preferred MC?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Back