The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a lesson yesterday, and hit a bucket of balls. We talked about eliminating the big miss, and my pro told me to hit every shot in practice with a mind to the shot's shape. He gave me a swing thought for the fade and a separate thought for a draw. We also talked about course management, and how I need to start taking away one side of the course for each hole. I'm excited to groove these two swing thoughts and take this approach to the course in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitting some balls before round. Still missing left a bit but the contact is ok
236cb64dbff8a049d4fbf9dd62837fcd.jpg

Nice contact Kang! That's better than what I get with my putter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a pro take a look at some video of mine. His 1st comment was "dumb a$$, you gotta get your weight back to the front"
Well, I've been hunting the hitch but never thought to look at my feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a lesson with a new pro and hit a few hundred balls. More of a consultation than a lesson, but if it went well I was going to see him again.
He started by getting me to grip the club from below with my right hand which makes the grip equally strong but somehow better.
Then the takeaway...oy. He has me trying to have my left arm pointing at the target when its parallel to the ground which is much tougher than it sounds for me.

Working on these two things my accuracy improved slightly but my ball striking worsened hugely.
This also made me pretty much useless with my driver and 5 wood. I couldn't hit them to save my life tonight.

By the end of it all I was pretty frustrated and felt like I had never played before which isn't really what I'm looking to achieve.
Not sure where I'll go from here.

Had a lesson with a new pro and hit a few hundred balls. More of a consultation than a lesson, but if it went well I was going to see him again.
He started by getting me to grip the club from below with my right hand which makes the grip equally strong but somehow better.
Then the takeaway...oy. He has me trying to have my left arm pointing at the target when its parallel to the ground which is much tougher than it sounds for me.

Working on these two things my accuracy improved slightly but my ball striking worsened hugely.
This also made me pretty much useless with my driver and 5 wood. I couldn't hit them to save my life tonight.

By the end of it all I was pretty frustrated and felt like I had never played before which isn't really what I'm looking to achieve.
When working on the swing with drastic changes, contact is the first thing to go and last thing to come back. Stay on it dude. You'll come out on the other side

Good luck man. I feel your pain. You'll get there.

My instructor explained that kind of frustration to me in a way that made sense. "You've been doing it wrong for years, and ingrained that habit. You think a bucket of balls is going to erase that? If you want a quick fix, that's fine we can go down every path in the world and you'll be a walking a Golf Digest magazine if you want. Good luck being consistent with that though under pressure. If you want it fixed, put in the hours and hard work. That's the only recipe for success son, not a couple hundred balls."

When working on the swing with drastic changes, contact is the first thing to go and last thing to come back. Stay on it dude. You'll come out on the other side

Good luck man. I feel your pain. You'll get there.

My instructor explained that kind of frustration to me in a way that made sense. "You've been doing it wrong for years, and ingrained that habit. You think a bucket of balls is going to erase that? If you want a quick fix, that's fine we can go down every path in the world and you'll be a walking a Golf Digest magazine if you want. Good luck being consistent with that though under pressure. If you want it fixed, put in the hours and hard work. That's the only recipe for success son, not a couple hundred balls."
Thanks guys.
I went to see this guy with the intention of only working on the driver swing and improving distance and accuracy off the tee. I am really happy with my iron game of late. I know what he's teaching is the right way to golf but I'm just not sure if im ready to blow it up at this point.

More work today. Going to be like 82 here.

On the agenda: Range session with wedges, scoring distances only. Chipping, need to work on using my AW and 54 more here. Then hopefully I get 9 in as well.

Also, 1st lesson back in next week is the plan.

The Grandaddy is coming.

Thanks guys.
I went to see this guy with the intention of only working on the driver swing and improving distance and accuracy off the tee. I am really happy with my iron game of late. I know what he's teaching is the right way to golf but I'm just not sure if im ready to blow it up at this point.
Did you explain to him that you weren't looking for an overhaul?

Thanks guys.

Even what seem like little changes can be really tough to implement. When I took lessons last year, pretty much all my instructor had me do was think about 3 things - stand a little further away, make a full turn, and "throw my hands at the ball". All with the goal of getting an inside out path to get rid of my weak little fade I used to hit. And as you've seen, I've picked up distance and iron game consistency, and started hitting a nice little draw on good strikes. But you also remember the travails I went through where I couldn't do anything but hook it.

It's so hard to make changes to a golf swing, no matter how small.

Focus tonight is going to be all about staying behind the ball. I think I've finally started to get the feeling of actually staying behind with my upper body a little more and the output was very promising. The challenge is convincing my mind and eyes that I'll still hit the damn ball from back there.

Focus tonight is going to be all about staying behind the ball. I think I've finally started to get the feeling of actually staying behind with my upper body a little more and the output was very promising. The challenge is convincing my mind and eyes that I'll still hit the damn ball from back there.
Maintaining spine angle through impact has to he the hardest thing in golf!!! I struggle with it as well. Getting ahead of the ball + early extention = frustrations galore!

Yepper. I start to lean toward the target about 3/4 way through my backswing and by the time I get to the ball it's flip city to make contact. Unlike most that just stick the club in the ground, I'm able to route it inside somehow. Lower ball speed, high launch, who cares about spin. My ball speed to swing speed ratio is embarassingly bad, but in reality I'm taking an 8 iron and turning it into a 9 iron or PW.

Really tried to exaggerate the feeling of loading up my right side and that helped quite a bit. Like I said, at first I thought there was no way in hell I'd get back to the ball, but I sure did and things improved quite a bit right away. Just doing it over and over again that'll be a challenge.

For sure. Maintaining that decipline and trying to stop the bad habits from creeping in is tough

Did you explain to him that you weren't looking for an overhaul?
Yes. He opined that I'm never going to see the consistency I strive for with my current take-away. I'll have hot and cold streaks always and the cold ones will suck.
I asked about some Tour Pros with nonconventional moves and he just said "you aren't them".

Again, I know he's right but its a steep hill I'm staring up at right now.

I asked about some Tour Pros with nonconventional moves and he just said "you aren't them".

That's a little harsh in my opinion. No, you're not Jim Furyk, but there was a point where he wasn't a pro and I bet he heard the same stuff from instructors as you are right now.

Yep, I'm with you there Hawk.

I have a terrible tendency to try to "chase the ball" as I call it. If I stay back, awesome contact, awesome extension, just a wonderful shot. If I "chase the ball" it's a heavy, chicken-wing go-nowhere shot.

That's a little harsh in my opinion. No, you're not Jim Furyk, but there was a point where he wasn't a pro and I bet he heard the same stuff from instructors as you are right now.
It was harsh but I'm OK with that. I knew I wasn't going to impress anyone with my current swing haha.

It was harsh but I'm OK with that. I knew I wasn't going to impress anyone with my current swing haha.

Haha well like I said, I just think he could have been a little nicer about it, but if it starts the road to you getting even better then I suppose it's worth it.

Got out for a bucket this afternoon and went through the bag, I wanted to work on tucking the right elbow again and make sure the left was still out of play. It went well with only a couple mild tugs but not hard pulls, and everything felt pretty spot on. My yardages are off a bit with the pw, 54, and 58, but I expect that will be the norm for a couple months until I have a good amount of time to focus on the short game. Funny thing, my 2 iron used to be my go to stick for everything out of the ordinary, under trees, long high cut, low hook lol, today I couldn't hit it to save my life, it hurt my damn hands every time I missed it lol, 5 wood spoiled me, I don't have to work as hard with it..

Lesson today - 35yd pitches. After a disturbing short game display at Bridgestone U, I really need to get this type of shot in my arsenal.
Instructor gave me two tips and I opened both my stance and club- results were immediate. Good contact, great trajectory, and good spin on the landing!! Very pleased!
Now, if I can get it right tmrw...

So, I changed the plan today whenever I got to the driving range, instead of working on the short game I worked on the long swing and it's really starting to pay off. Managed to get out afterwards and play 9 hit the ball extremely well on course and the 815 alpha is just ridiculous as far as of forgiveness is concerned so that clearly helped. Did a little short game work afterwards really need to work on getting my feel back, so stinking rusty there.

I feel you James. Ball striking is solid for the most part but giving away WAY too many strokes around the green with wedges.

I feel you James. Ball striking is solid for the most part but giving away WAY too many strokes around the green with wedges.

Its infuriating to me, but I'm not putting in the right practice time there so its my own fault too. Putting saved me on my 9 today, rolling the rock extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back