How many of us play golf because of Arnold "The King" Palmer?

Maddog701

Reaction score
Handicap
14.2 ghin
My grandfather starting teaching me golf at the age of 11 in 1971. Arnold Palmer was his favorite golfer. I don't remember to much of the conversations we had but I do remember my Grandfather telling me he played golf because Arnold Palmer made it look easy on TV, so my Grandfather decided to pick up the game in the early 60's. as a result of this, he taught me the game. So because of Arnold Palmer, I have enjoyed a lifetime of golf.

I wish I could say he WS the reason I started playing. I knew who,he was growing up and more so in my early 20s when I started taking more if an interest in the game. My two biggest influences were Payne Stewart and Tiger.

Flat out, I play golf because of my wife. I became enchanted with golf because of Tiger Woods. I respect that Mr. Palmer built the game so those two people could affect my love of golf.

No, I started when my best friend got a set at a garage sale.

Indirectly I do my father started to play because of Palmer and i started to play because of him

I don't play golf because of Mr. Palmer, because his prime was before I was born. That being said, he WOULD be in my dream foursome, joining myself, Phil and Bobby Jones.

Not me, play because my grandfather introduced me to the game

I bet on golf forums, if someone started because of a professional, it would be Tiger more than anyone else. Just because of the age range.

I bet on golf forums, if someone started because of a professional, it would be Tiger more than anyone else. Just because of the age range.

^^^^ This is me, but Arnie's loss is huge, i feel more sadness today, than I will probably feel for Tiger.

I don't play because of him, but I have looked to him as a man who knew how to handle himself on and off the course with honor and class.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The reason I play golf is because of a golfing friend in Florida who patiently taught me some of the finer points of the game, not because of any pro golfer. Once I was able to apply some of things I learned from my friend I became hooked.

2 things influenced me to take up the game: my dad and the crapiness of my Junior High baseball team. Mr. Palmer has certainly always been a positive influence for me because of the way he carried himself on and off the course.

My Dad is a few months older than Arnie and was definitely a card carrying member of Arnie's Army. So I got into golf because of my dad and he got into it because of Arnie.

it was a way for me to spend time with my Dad. Mom bought him clubs so he could do something besides work and get some exercise. He bought me clubs so he could play better than someone else. :act-up:

We both sucked but enjoyed the time together playing the goat tracks around southeastern, WI. He got me a job as a caddy at North Hills CC when I was a teen as his boss was a member there. I gained a real love for the game slinging bags as a young teen, and getting to play that really nice track for free on Tuesdays.

I knew who Arnold Palmer was but had no real appreciation for his stature and contribution to the game till I got older.

RIP Arnie. You're a class act!

One of my grandfathers did. He always said Arnold Palmer made him think the game was for him, even though he didn't have much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play golf because a couple of my friends and I (as teens) use to go and hit balls in an open field for fun with our dads (old at the time) clubs that may have been sitting around our garages. That's what hooked me in to wanting to hit golf balls and never lost the taste for it since. I didn't outright play golf till some years later but 35 yrs later here I am and I still stink but still addicted.

I play golf because of Arnie indirectly. My dad who was the same age as Arnie picked up the game in the early 60's because of the popularity Palmer brought to the game. Think of the way Tiger brought people to the game in the late 90's and early 2000's. Arnie did the same in the late 50's and early 60's. So without Arnie who knows if my dad ever picks up golf.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Back