TaylorMade AeroBurner Driver Preview

I just checked on their site and i don't see any REAL visible differences minus the graphics on the crown. Maybe the head is weighted slightly different?

Always enjoy the concern around "made for tour" clubs being different from "OTR"

It's true. I'm sure somewhere else on the internet could say something that suddenly makes the Tour only head worth $300 more on eBay.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The fairway at least is a different head. Slightly different profile, a bit more open face. That's at least what the TM rep told me on chat. Doesn't help with the driver but at least makes it a possibility.

Saw this driver the other day at the local big box. Its a looker for sure. The Aeroburner line seems to have slightly more compact heads than past equivalent offerings.

Read a review in the Club Test 2015 edition of Golf Magazine and their testers really seemed to like this driver. Apparently it hits the ball extra high and long.... maybe!

Just hopped on chat to follow up with my last post - the fairway is a different head, but the difference in driver amounts to lie angle and shaft options.

Is there any difference in the head between the regular and TP. Always thought TP was just shaft options.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The hosel diameter on the AB TP is 335 which makes shaft changes easier, don't have to use a shim the Reg is 350. The TP also has a flatter lie and a slightly open face about 1*. The regular model is meant to help draw the ball, where the TP lends itself to a slightly open set up which better players prefer. I was at Torrey Pines last week from the Farmers and Dustin Johnson is using a new AB TP driver.

DJ was pounding this thing yesterday. Those 2 drives on 18 were crushed. Heck the one on 17 was crushed too but it just kicked in to the rough.

Outside of my z545, this is my favorite driver of 2015. And I HATED the look when it was first announced, but ball don't lie

DJ was pounding this thing yesterday. Those 2 drives on 18 were crushed. Heck the one on 17 was crushed too but it just kicked in to the rough.
He sure did put a whoooping on 'em!

I don't see a post about the aeroburner hybrid but I've got the three haven't hit it yet, but it's a beautiful club which is a start may be a few weeks before I can test it out. Back to the driver what I think will help sell a lot of them is the price point.

Is this what he was using? No doubt about it, he was destroooooooying the ball.

Is this what he was using? No doubt about it, he was destroooooooying the ball.

Seems like a large amount of the staffers are going after this model. Could be wrong, but I've seen several not named Villegas gaming it.

I read on a TaylorMade page over the weekend that DJ had actually switched to the R15 for the tournament. I'll see if I can find it again.

I'd like to hit this. I was chatting online with a TM rep and he said he hit it further than the R15 by about 5 yards. Said he couldn't hit it straight though... Or, not as straight as the R15.

The fairway at least is a different head. Slightly different profile, a bit more open face. That's at least what the TM rep told me on chat. Doesn't help with the driver but at least makes it a possibility.
Yup, last time I was at the range the pro was unboxing a TP Aeroburner 3W he had been waiting on. He showed me just how different they were, especially how close faced the OTR standard version was, in comparison. It's likely that trend is simiolar in their drivers this year too but I didn't ask.

Had a chance to hit the aeroburner driver in both 10.5° and 9.5° both worked very well. The 9.5° was stiff flex, white tie shaft and the 10.5° was stiff flex, matrix shaft. I preferred the white tie over the other matrix shaft. I got too much spin from the 10.5° head. I would like to try the regular flex, white tie in the 9.5° head.

The fairways were good also and the hybrids performed pretty well although the shaft felt a little heavy in the hybrid.

Last edited:
This driver is surprisingly good. I haven't hit the TP option. But the thp feedback on this one is interesting.

This driver is surprisingly good. I haven't hit the TP option. But the thp feedback on this one is interesting.
It was seriously the best driver (with stock shaft) I hit out of the
915 d2
915 d3
815 Alpha
815 DBD
Xr
Xr pro
G30 lstec
R15

I was extremely surprised.

915 d2
915 d3
815 Alpha
815 DBD
Xr
Xr pro
G30 lstec
R15

I thought it was really easy to square up.

The real winner in that line is the 3w however

I thought it was really easy to square up.

The real winner in that line is the 3w however

The 3-wood is driver like distance wise. I really liked the 3HL(16.5°) and the 5 (18°) and they might be a little more versatile for both fairway and tee. I would like to have a few more swings with the hybrids.

Last edited:
915 d2
915 d3
815 Alpha
815 DBD
Xr
Xr pro
G30 lstec
R15

So the fin is IN!