PGA Tour Viewership up 9%

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/10/03/Research-and-Ratings/Ratings.aspx

Publicly, media executives are not panicked. They say it’s too early to identify any long-lasting trends, especially considering that some properties, like the NBA and college football, have seen increases. ABC, for example, produced the highest-rated NBA Finals since 1998, and NBC’s portion of the PGA Tour schedule posted a 9 percent viewership increase this season.

Meanwhile NFL viewership continues to falls in prime time slots...............

For me, I barely watched any of the primetime games this year because I just don't enjoy the game as much. I know when I see somebody get layed out I really worry about the player and if his brain is scrambled.

Not sure if that is a widespread feeling, but I know it played a part in me watching Luke Cage on Netflix last night instead of watching football.

Anyway, that is a pretty big number for golf, 9% is very significant especially when everyone keeps predicting the death of golf.

Lots of bad press for the NFL combined with an absurd amount of penalties and commercials leads to lower viewership. The PGA has some young man like able guys coming up and playing some outstanding golf it really is great to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't watched as much football this year because the games haven't been very interesting to me. I know they try to spread the love and get non traditional teams on some Thursday night games, but I just don't care. Give me divisional leaders and contenders and I might watch more.

I think it has to do with the field of play right now in the PGA tour, a lot of young talent that has a chance to win.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the stations like Fox actually showing more golf during the broadcast.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the stations like Fox actually showing more golf during the broadcast.
I think this was just NBC broadcasts. I guess there could be a small ripple effect.

Back