Chipping – Edoardo Molinari sharing his no. 1 practice tip

-CRW-

Reaction score
Chipping – Edoardo Molinari sharing his no. 1 practice tip

so let me get this right.

Practice chipping on the green
and Hit the sweet spot

Thanks?

Sweet spot got it. Shortest grass lie, got it. Sweep, got it. Now if we could actually do it. Another question.

My luck I'd hit off the bottom of the club and skull it...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Dean & Ashman:

I think you've both missed the point on the tight lie. He's talking about practicing on a tight lie, because if you can get the contact right there it will only be easier in other lies.

His comment on hitting the sweet spot was because it will generate more spin. However, other people don't always teach that with chipping. In fact, MANY people teach to tilt the club up and have more toe-ward contact because the heel is the portion of the club most likely to get hung up on the turf when chipping. But doing the heel up/toe contact method, while common, isn't the most effective for generating spin.

thanks for sharing the video. Some simple stuff, but simple is good. Definetly going to try and practice off tighter lies.

thanks for sharing the video. Some simple stuff, but simple is good. Definetly going to try and practice off tighter lies.

That was my thought. A simple, no-nonsense approach to practicing. It was more about what wasn't said, than what was said. Tight lie and try to hit the center of the face. Not tilt here, ball here, turn here, etc.

If you post complicated videos here, people complain that they are complicated. You post simple videos, people complain they are too simple. Par for the course unfortunately.

Dean & Ashman:

I think you've both missed the point on the tight lie. He's talking about practicing on a tight lie, because if you can get the contact right there it will only be easier in other lies.

His comment on hitting the sweet spot was because it will generate more spin. However, other people don't always teach that with chipping. In fact, MANY people teach to tilt the club up and have more toe-ward contact because the heel is the portion of the club most likely to get hung up on the turf when chipping. But doing the heel up/toe contact method, while common, isn't the most effective for generating spin.

While that may make more sense for him - given his misses are likely to be sitting on a tight lie - the average player's misses are likely to be sitting in the cabbage, where the heel portion of the club is more likely to get hung up/twist/etc., plus will have the ball coming out with much less spin. I understand maybe working the drill for ball first contact, but I don't think one should spend all one's time on that particular drill.

Just another video from the same series:

Back