Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Yes you do. Sorry for the delay as works been busy.

Not a worry at all!! Does this mean it is in transit? Hoping I'll have it for my Sunday round!!

Looks like a 6-AW set of these will be coming to OK. Will be a nice "for fun" set to have again. Going to put the Veylix Alpina graphites in them methinks!

Looks like a 6-AW set of these will be coming to OK. Will be a nice "for fun" set to have again. Going to put the Veylix Alpina graphites in them methinks!

I am genuinely surprised you ever got rid of a set. but I am happy to see one is coming back.

I am genuinely surprised you ever got rid of a set. but I am happy to see one is coming back.

You're on deck oh brother of mine.

And I agree, though they won't be gamers for me, they are too fun not to have a set. Plus, if I play league this year I will break minds with them.

No awesome wedge included.

But a divine one was. Or deadly.

Your choice.

No awesome wedge included.

But a divine one was. Or deadly.

Your choice.

GW, DW, AW....all are aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwessssssssssssssssome :alien:

Those look impossible to take beaver pelts with from the fairway. They got chunk me hard written all over them.

Those look impossible to take beaver pelts with from the fairway. They got chunk me hard written all over them.

I'm really not sure that's possible with the altitudes, but I haven't spent months with them or anything.

They are insanely easy to hit.

If anyone has a 7-Dw or SW set that they want to part with pm me. Might be interested

If anyone isn't using their 4 iron and want to get rid of it.. PM me. Looking for right hand and stiff flex.

The 6i has been hanging out in my bag recently. The 4-6 might be making another appearance this season, we shall see. I forgot how great a combo these are with Miyazaki shafts and CP2 grips.

I have the Action Lite shafts in my 3 and 4. Not a big fan at the moment ... I can hit my Mashie and Jetspeed 4H just fine, but the Altitude is giving me fits. I don't even game a 3H yet ... waiting on lessons to improve my swing, but I wonder how these would perform with Recoils in them.

Incorrect. I take pelts with these, and break hearts too.

Divots for days with these bad boys! The looks on peoples faces when you drop a ball so ridiculously close to the pin with a 5 or 6 iron is absolutely priceless.

I have the Action Lite shafts in my 3 and 4. Not a big fan at the moment ... I can hit my Mashie and Jetspeed 4H just fine, but the Altitude is giving me fits. I don't even game a 3H yet ... waiting on lessons to improve my swing, but I wonder how these would perform with Recoils in them.

Check the specs for loft and shaft length. The 4 to 5 line is where I kind of hit diminishing rewards with my swing speed. My only knock on the Tudes is how aggressive the lofts are.

With the minimal offset these might be perfect for my baby draw. Anyone got a used set for cheap or eff off and check ebay myself hahaha.

Was able to get to the range today and hit my 6Alti a lot, mainly because I suspected I'd see really nice results with my swing now, that is not as flat as before. I really liked how it felt once again. And the sound at impact is great. The next step is hitting the 4 and 5 again, but the love affair may be back on again.

As you can see by my signature I have a mixed set of 588 irons, I wasn't very consistent with the 3&4 Altitudes either so I went to the 588 Hybrid and the whole set just flows seamlesly from the Hybrid to the Altitudes then into the MT's and TT's. You cant tell the difference between swinging an Altitude, MT or TT with the MT and TT at address you cant even tell them apart. this is the best set of irons I have ever used.

Last edited:
Check the specs for loft and shaft length. The 4 to 5 line is where I kind of hit diminishing rewards with my swing speed. My only knock on the Tudes is how aggressive the lofts are.

The whole 588 range has the agressive lofts and long shafts, my Uncle who was a Pro a long time ago once told me about the 24/38 rule for amaturers, that is you shouldn't use an iron that has a loft of less than 24* and a length of more than 38". And I stand by that, the 5 iron (which is as low as I go) in the 588's with a graphite shaft is 24* and 38.75" shaft, I had 3/4" taken off of all of the irons and they are great with no loss of distance.

My only knock on the Tudes is how aggressive the lofts are.

They have to be. If they dont reduce the lofts, the ball would launch straight up in the air. While I realize for some reason those around the web assume that lofts are just reduced for no reason, there is absolutely a reason behind it. For instance the 588 CB does not have the same lofts as the 588 Altitudes....Why? Because one launches significantly higher than the other.

The whole 588 range has the agressive lofts and long shafts, my Uncle who was a Pro a long time ago once told me about the 24/38 rule for amaturers, that is you shouldn't use an iron that has a loft of less than 24* and a length of more than 38". And I stand by that, the 5 iron (which is as low as I go) in the 588's with a graphite shaft is 24* and 38.75" shaft, I had 3/4" taken off of all of the irons and they are great with no loss of distance.

I'll tell you what Dave, I'm pulling my hybrid out of the bag in favour of the 3 Altitude -- And I'm not sure why I'd ever treat it any differently than a 3 hybrid despite it technically being an iron. The variance in profile is lost on me.

Cannot wait for added accuracy at that distance.

I'll tell you what Dave, I'm pulling my hybrid out of the bag in favour of the 3 Altitude -- And I'm not sure why I'd ever treat it any differently than a 3 hybrid despite it technically being an iron. The variance in profile is lost on me.

Cannot wait for added accuracy at that distance.

I know it looks like a Hybrid but you have to play it like an iron I thought it would be easier to hit than the MT and it was but I was still inconsistant with it, the 5 and 6 are great for me then I go into the MT's and TT's. Maybe it looked to much like a hybrid and I was trying to hit it like a hybrid I'm just more consistent with the 588 Hybrid.

They have to be. If they dont reduce the lofts, the ball would launch straight up in the air. While I realize for some reason those around the web assume that lofts are just reduced for no reason, there is absolutely a reason behind it. For instance the 588 CB does not have the same lofts as the 588 Altitudes....Why? Because one launches significantly higher than the other.

Just a question on that JB, I have back to backed a 588 Altitude, MT and TT pitching wedge all exactly the same shafts and length only difference being the head. I got 3 distinctly differntly ball flights although they all have the same loft so they all must have different launch angles, they all pretty much went the the same distance why is that so.

Last edited:
Back