2015 Wilson Staff Irons Preview - Entire Line

I've done bending in the past to match iron sets. Certainly an option, though I think the truth is that if we're talking a degree, it's more about satisfying my OCD than it is about hitting a perfect yardage gap lol.
I think mentally I would close a 52 down and hit a 51 normal. But that's because I do stupid stuff.

I've done bending in the past to match iron sets. Certainly an option, though I think the truth is that if we're talking a degree, it's more about satisfying my OCD than it is about hitting a perfect yardage gap lol.

I just did this with my current set for my OCD to keep a constant gapping since I had been playing a 58* for a few years where I could have easily went to 4* and just played std loft and did 56 instead of 58.

Looks like a few solid options. It's hard to say man.

-47° D200/55° D200 - downside I see there is a pretty large gap if you're going to use that 55° as a full swing gapping club. You very well may not though and you can always choke down an inch or two. I wouldn't discount this one right away, because I bet your could build a respectable short game around it if you wanted. I suppose you could add in a 60 if you had space for it as well and felt you needed it.

-47° D200/50/54 - Probably will find this gaps pretty well, even with the 3° difference between the two. If you do this and are steep at all, default to higher bounce in the 50.

-47° D200/52/56 - Little bigger difference between 47 and 52, but the benefit of a little more loft in the SW for bunkers and elevated greens that are plentiful.

-47° D200/50/56 - Tighter in the full swing range, but a little more loft at the top.

Assuming you are going to be taking full swings with some of them - I'd take the option that provides some uniformity to your iron set there. Look to simplify here unless you have the time/energy to devote to utilizing a number of different lofts is my advice.
Would you recommend using the set gap wedge, or switching to a proper wedge in that 48* spot? That's the strongest loft Wilson offers in a wedge, so it would be possible to do something like 48*, 52*, 56*. I'm not going with a 60*--I own one, can't hit it well, not even going to tempt myself by having one in the bag.

Would you recommend using the set gap wedge, or switching to a proper wedge in that 48* spot? That's the strongest loft Wilson offers in a wedge, so it would be possible to do something like 48*, 52*, 56*. I'm not going with a 60*--I own one, can't hit it well, not even going to tempt myself by having one in the bag.

I don't want to speak for Hawk, but I would recommend a set matching gap wedge. My reason for it is that a gap wedge (for me) is the highest lofted club I regularly take full swings with. So with full swings, I want that forgiveness. Most of my shots with scoring wedges are half shots, etc. Heck I carry a gap wedge AND a 52* and use them in a completely different way.

I think the set GW would be a good option. May find that it's a valuable chipping club too. The longer the swing, the more I'd lean towards some perimeter weighting.

I didn't have the set GW option in the 2014 MC, but went with a CB wedge since it was going to be used for longer swings more often.

I don't want to speak for Hawk, but I would recommend a set matching gap wedge. My reason for it is that a gap wedge (for me) is the highest lofted club I regularly take full swings with. So with full swings, I want that forgiveness. Most of my shots with scoring wedges are half shots, etc. Heck I carry a gap wedge AND a 52* and use them in a completely different way.
That makes sense, and I may go with an approach like that.

With my Apexes, I carry around my Speedblade approach wedge. It's a 50* forged wedge that I call my "magic chipping club". Something about that loft and bounce just works really well for me, I can attack pins with it when I miss a green.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to work with wedges more before I have to make a club decision. Shafts was a no-brainer, but I'm not sure yet how I want to tackle the bottom of my bag with Wilson stuff. If I can figure out an efficient way to do wedges, I can hopefully have a spot open for a 7 wood.

Edit: Hawk, just saw your post, that makes sense to go with forgiveness with any full-swing club. Sounds like a good rule of thumb to follow.

What do you carry now Dave? Sorry I can't your sig if you have one.

What do you carry now Dave? Sorry I can't your sig if you have one.
It varies, but has been settling down to the Apex down through PW, a 50* Speedblade wedge, and a 56* Mack Daddy 2 for the sand. The Apex PW was my go-to chipping club, but I'm actually better with the 50* Speedblade--I can really attack pins with it when I'm chipping well.

It varies, but has been settling down to the Apex down through PW, a 50* Speedblade wedge, and a 56* Mack Daddy 2 for the sand. The Apex PW was my go-to chipping club, but I'm actually better with the 50* Speedblade--I can really attack pins with it when I'm chipping well.

Do you take full swings with the speedblade wedge?

Do you take full swings with the speedblade wedge?
No. It's strictly a chipper and short pitcher. PW is the highest loft I take a full swing with right now, but I've done very little work on my short game / course management. I've ended up in weird spots between 90yds (PW full swing) and greenside where I'm not sure what to do.

No. It's strictly a chipper and short pitcher. PW is the highest loft I take a full swing with right now, but I've done very little work on my short game / course management. I've ended up in weird spots between 90yds (PW full swing) and greenside where I'm not sure what to do.

Try taking some full swings with your speedblade 50*. I think it might be able to cover your needs from inside your PW range.

If so, then you just have to find a Wilson offering that is comparable.

I'm enjoying this thread. Reading about all you W/S guys going through the pondering process right now. Can't wait to read when you guys start putting it on paper.

This thread had me thinking about my own kit and how a traditional style wedge would perform against my set gap wedge, so I took lunch at the range today...

The players:

Set Gap Wedge (SGW): W/S Ci9 @ 48*
Trad. Wedge #1 (TW1): Wilson (not Staff) Harmonized @ 50*
Trad. Wedge #2 (TW2): Wilson (not Staff) Harmonized @ 52*

After warming up I hit 10 full shots with each. What I found was that the SGW and TW2 performed most like one another in terms of trajectory and carry distance. TW1 had slightly lower trajectory and a little more carry as one might expect. My expectations going in were SGW and TW1 would be close and TW2 would be higher and shorter, so I was a little surprised. In the end I could manage with any one of the three at the top of the bag and will probably swap in and out to get the best bounce angle for the conditions I expect.

As an aside the Wilson Harmonized wedges are very decent for short money. If you want to get a traditional wedge to try out and see how you play it grab one of these up.

V4 is Apex Pro with a little different weighting.

Try one out if you can. I found them more forgiving than the M3.

I've hit the V4 and I play the Apex Pro, they feel very similar, sound off the V4 is a bit different, but it's not an issue at all. The V4 have a bit weaker loft set up too. I really like how they felt.

Ive been playing around with the M3's for a bit too. I'm not sure I find the V4 more forgiving than the M3. In fact I feel as though it's reverse. Where as the M3 gives me a bit more forgiveness. With a higher launch than the V4. For what that's worth.

I also have the Apex Pro in the bag, and certainly have the V4s under consideration. For me, the Apex Pro are more forgiving than the V4s, but that may be more mental than anything else, because the blade length is longer on the Apex Pro, so maybe my mind says "Thank you" for that bit of extra face realestate. The M3s are marginally more forgiving than the V4s for my swing, so far. Hoping to get some more demo chances in the next couple of weeks.

i wish the courses/ranges here would get the W/S guys here. Just no real presence at all. Not sure if it's cause of lack of demand or what, but those seem to go hand and hand.

I'm glad W/S is making efforts to put themselves out there more. Even here in the Chicago area, their presence is limited to a small number of stores. The D200 challenge and fitting are making their way around the state, as well, but not too many stops in the more immediate Chicago area.

I'm enjoying this thread. Reading about all you W/S guys going through the pondering process right now. Can't wait to read when you guys start putting it on paper.

I've put it on paper... Several times. :alien: I could literally play any of the irons available, including the Tour 100s (though, I would prefer some V4s or M3s in the long/mid irons if I could go that route.). I'm trying to balance my preferences with what i feel would work for a competition. In some respects those are mutually exclusive, and in others, not so much.

This thread had me thinking about my own kit and how a traditional style wedge would perform against my set gap wedge, so I took lunch at the range today...

The players:

Set Gap Wedge (SGW): W/S Ci9 @ 48*
Trad. Wedge #1 (TW1): Wilson (not Staff) Harmonized @ 50*
Trad. Wedge #2 (TW2): Wilson (not Staff) Harmonized @ 52*

After warming up I hit 10 full shots with each. What I found was that the SGW and TW2 performed most like one another in terms of trajectory and carry distance. TW1 had slightly lower trajectory and a little more carry as one might expect. My expectations going in were SGW and TW1 would be close and TW2 would be higher and shorter, so I was a little surprised. In the end I could manage with any one of the three at the top of the bag and will probably swap in and out to get the best bounce angle for the conditions I expect.

As an aside the Wilson Harmonized wedges are very decent for short money. If you want to get a traditional wedge to try out and see how you play it grab one of these up.

This gives me a lot of insight. Thanks for sharing.

~Rock

How I long to try out all the new W/S line, but they have pretty much zero presence in NE WI this year I'm sad to say.

How I long to try out all the new W/S line, but they have pretty much zero presence in NE WI this year I'm sad to say.

Did you check their site for custom fitting days or the d200 challenge? They seem to have a few events in most parts of the country

Did you check their site for custom fitting days or the d200 challenge? They seem to have a few events in most parts of the country

I did, they have one event in WI on the Minnesota border later this month, I'm talking more about not being able to find any in stores to try in NE WI though.

Are you still able to hit the D200 event @ Golfsmith today?

as of now i am. i have reserved the 130 slot.

edit: only way i don't go is if this freaking pending strike happens and i end up having to go fill my assigned position to replace the striking workers.

as of now i am. i have reserved the 130 slot.

edit: only way i don't go is if this freaking pending strike happens and i end up having to go fill my assigned position to replace the striking workers.

I'll plan on being there to talk you into that set of M3s, then. :devil:

I'll plan on being there to talk you into that set of M3s, then. :devil:

sounds good...me there is not much convincing its the wallet that will need the convincing...my next purchase for irons won't be until late july or early august right now. so it will be just dreaming about that purchase until then.

took the d200 challenge today at golfsmith with the wilson guys. i also got to spend some time with the rest of their iron line and a few swings with the d200 driver.

the d200s are really nice and are nowhere near as chunky as i thought they would be. very easy to hit. i can see lots of people of different skill sets playing these.

the c100s look similar to the d200s just a litle smaller.

the feel line is simply amazing. the M3s were easy to hit and then on the recommendation from one of the guys i hit them with a aldila rip 95 and omg. no problem launching and easy to hit. they feel great and have forgiveness on off center hits.

the v4s look great, and surprisingly i didn't have any problem hitting them but did put some bad swings on them with the dg pro shaft. having the utility iron in this set is a nice benefit as those just work. i was hitting then 5+ yards longer then my 545 4i off the deck.

the tour 100s are true blades and look awesome in person. i took some swings with a 5i and was impressed with the feel and softness. i have no business playing a blade but found these not as hard to hit. not enough forgiveness for me right now but it was fun. it would be cool to have 5-pw and utility irons and/or hybrids at the top end...maybe one day.

Back