BBB’s single length irons journey.

I tinkered with that in the set of Wishon Sterlings that my brother confiscated from me. They were originally shafted with a set of RP Rifle Flighteds (5.0) in part because I had that set sitting around. I hit the 5, 7 and PW on a Trackman and then swapped the shafts over to XP 105s as my brother wanted something a bit lighter. There really was little difference in the launch angle and spin numbers when we put that combination on Trackman versus the original Rifles.

My brother has loved his set and has recorded his first sub 75 rounds. Greens in regulation have gone up 2.1 per round without a change in his driving statistics. I'm fine with my 3/8" step set (there is only a 2" range between the 5 iron and lob wedge) and I love my Maltby DBMs but I do think single-length makes a ton of sense for a lot of players. Will probably build a set of the Pinhawks for my best friend (who has a fused spine) so he can play in his most comfortable position.
That's great that your brother is having such success with the Wishon's! I'm curious to try those also, but that's not likely where I live.

I'm also interested to hear how your friend gets along with the single length irons. Comfort is one of the best things about these for me. I generally have some nagging back pain when I play a lot, or just hit a lot of balls. I'm glad to say I haven't had that issue since I started playing the single length, despite the heavier shafts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

No golf this past weekend, but I did get in some indoor LM gap testing. I only hit 4 balls with each and took the average, but the results were consistent enough and lined up with what I saw on the course. The gaps were (going from Sand wedge up to 4 iron) 9,9,9,13,11,9,12,13, 7. I don't feel like I was making a great swing when I got to the 4i, fatigue maybe. I am going to do another comparison between the 4 and 5 to see if that really was just bad results on that particular day, or if I need to switch to the 4h in that spot.

I'm hoping to maybe get in at least another round or two before it's too late this year.
As it is now I don't see a downside to playing SL irons full time.

Back