Golf telecast, what do you prefer?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't think I've ever witnessed a telecast thst appealed to the masses. There is alwayssomething wrong with the telecast. Too much of one player, too many commericals, bad annoucers, poor camera work or bad interviews.

I wonder what would make a great broadcast? What would you do to make it better and appeal to everyone from average joe to Joe golfer. What does a great telecast need?

The year the Masters was broadcast wit no commercials was awesome. Although most Masters broadcasts are pretty perfect, even the commercials seem toned down a bit and Jim Nantz makes everything sound upbeat and inspired.

I don't know that I have a ready answer to that. I like shot tracer, and commentary that lets me hear the crowd give their opinion/sympathy about a shot.

Also, more Peter Alliss. I think they should just have a television show or channel where he wanders around and just gives commentary on things. Right now my internal monologue sounds like him, and it's extraordinary.

ESPN minus Berman.

More golf, less talking.

I like that The Masters does limited commercials, I enjoy shot tracker, I like to see everyone in the field with emphasis on the top 10 scorers but I do want to see everyone. I enjoy the human interest stories about golfers but please limit them to 1 to 2 minutes at the longest, after all I really tuned in to see golf not the stories. I actually enjoy all of the announcers (including JM) they all bring something to the broadcast IMO. I agree that I like hearing the crowd too, man did I miss them at the U S Open.

Good topic Freddie, maybe the network big wigs will check out this thread. :wink:

Anything/Anyone but Johnny Miller.

Anything/Anyone but Johnny Miller.

Holly is just as bad but the mute button makes her look much better.....not so for JM.

I really like the Masters.com webcast. Very few breaks, and when there is one I can go to another featured group or hole. I personally would like more featured group coverage over all 18 holes especially early in the week of tourneys. It stinks only seeing the back 9 of courses on the network broadcasts.

Less commercials, Gary Mccord, J Miller, Holly, and MORE PRO TRACER!

Shot tracer. Tell us what club the pro is hitting (Fox failed to do this many times in the U.S. Open). If a shot is difficult, but the difficulty is not obvious on T.V., the announcers should tell us why it is difficult. Less putting. Did I mention more shot tracer? Stop using the terms "metal-wood" or "rescue club." Drives me batty.

No Nance, Miller, McCord and Faldo. I like the shot tracer The way Fox did it and I liked the amount of golf shots they showed. Put CBS camera crew with Fox, limit the puff pieces and focus on the groups that are playing hot and not just the leaders or one of two players/groups because of a name.

i get the need for most telecasts to have commercials but it would be nice to get them out of the way so the last hour of golf could be commercial free.

Peter Allis on all broadcasts would be awesome. Miller, Faldo and Berman annoy me to no end and unless Holly is buck naked and not talking send her home.

The year the Masters was broadcast wit no commercials was awesome. Although most Masters broadcasts are pretty perfect, even the commercials seem toned down a bit and Jim Nantz makes everything sound upbeat and inspired.

The Masters is good and I thought the Open today was pretty well done (of course the endless commercials make a DVR a must) but I'm not a huge fan at this point of what Fox has done.

Mike Tirico in the booth, Maltbie & Feherty on the course and liberal use shot tracer.

BBC broadcast with Fox technology.

ESPN, except for Chris Berman, always does a pretty good job. I love Tirico and Van Pelt (that was a good radio show too), Andy North, and Judy Rankin. Peter Alliss is awesome. The CBS Masters coverage is also really good. I don't mind Jim Nantz and Sir Nick doesn't bother me at all and Feherty is always in my wheelhouse.

I can do without:
Johnny Miller
Joe Buck
metal-wood

Agreed! CBS and Jim Nantz get The Masters near perfect every year!! (Directv Master's experience is cool also...but it can be overwhelming).

Joe Buck is TERRIBLE at broadcast golf!! He needs to go back to baseball. Johnny Miller "chunk and run"!! He gets old also.

ESPN, except for Chris Berman, always does a pretty good job. I love Tirico and Van Pelt (that was a good radio show too), Andy North, and Judy Rankin. Peter Alliss is awesome. The CBS Masters coverage is also really good. I don't mind Jim Nantz and Sir Nick doesn't bother me at all and Feherty is always in my wheelhouse.

I can do without:
Johnny Miller
Joe Buck
metal-wood

More Scott Van Pelt

Masters coverage is about as good as it gets, but even that could use a few less commercials per hour. ESPN's coverage of The Open today was great! Especially because they left Berman at home.

I have noticed a LOT more commercial interruptions during "normal" tournaments. Sometimes they come back from a commercial break, show the leaderboard, then head right back into a break. It's getting pretty bad, honestly.

I never understand why they will show the third or fourth shot into a green, THEN show the previous two shots that we saw were already on the green.

Fox's coverage of the U.S. Open was the worst, followed by ANY tournament with Berman, even if he's in the Pro-Am! HOOOOORRRRRRIBLE GOLFER!!! They should NEVER show ANY shot of his! EVERRRR!

I actually lot Scott Van Pelt and Mike Tririco is bad either, I always enjoy the Masters telecast...lots of golf and limited commercials

This year I'd say "No Fox."

With a few weeks to learn from the men's US Open, I was hoping they learned some lessons and would do a much better job at the US Women's Open. It was almost unwatchable. They really, really need to hire some new directors/producers. It was 6 hours of quick cuts between shots, 80% of them putts. I couldn't keep track of who was on what holes or whom was playing with whom. Their cuts between shots were just so rapid-fire, there was no context about how they got where they where or where they needed to get next.

The Open being on ESPN, they have a much better grip on golf broadcasting.

Keep the focus on the current top ten in the tournament. No post round interviews until all players have finished. Find a crew that knows how to work together and who have some aptitude for television commentary. You may need to look beyond former professional golfers for this. Perhaps former pro's could do spot commentary, but not be part of the ongoing, minute by minute coverage...maybe just every 15 minutes. Former pro's covering action on-course seems perfect, actually, so maybe just leave them out of the booth completely. Keep trying new tech, but shot tracker looks like a keeper. Background stories etc can be part of the "pre-game" show, don't interrupt the live action.

I think casual golf fans are likely to tune out if the broadcast booth personalities are broken records, and every Jimmy Roberts piece or cringe-worthy post round interview (and they are all cringe-worthy, IMO) is just another opportunity to change the channel. Get them interested in the relevant action and keep them focused....they'll want to see what happens next after the commercial breaks.

Back