I played the "My Tour Ball" this past Saturday for my first round of the year @ my new club, shooting a 73. The ball performed very well. The spin 100 yards and in was damn good. It holds its line well in the wind and doesn't even try to "balloon" when hit into the wind. Very durable cover, too. My only complaint is that it doesn't float, as I lost it in the water on the 17th hole. In all honesty, I really like the ball, but I don't think it's quite as long as my usual Tour Preferred X's. Although, I feel the cover was more durable than the Tour Preferred X.

Im pretty surprised about the durable cover. I have not done a lot of testing, but to me its similar to the Project (a) and with in a few wedge shots, it was showing scuffs for me. WHen I compare it to a few other premium balls I play quite a bit, it was pretty night and day.

One more thing to add, the seam is freaking huge. Not sure if its a QC thing or something, but it is one of the biggest I have seen to date.

Yeah, the seam is pretty noticeable. That's not really something that bothers me, though.

Fair warning. This week and weekend is anything but normal, so updates are going to be a little slow. Apologies in advance. I did get some short game time and putting time in with both balls last night.

Testing both balls - Get Sum is a 2-piece surlyn ball and My Tour Ball is a 3-piece urethane ball. Feel in hand is exactly what you'd expect of each, with a firmer cover on the GS and a stickier feel with the MTB. There is an evident seam when I looked, but admittedly I just never notice that unless it's on my mind and it happened to be at the moment. I like the logo, don't love the alignment aid. Seems larger in person than in pictures and the spacing in the words sort of segments it a little if that makes sense. Not a deal breaker - I just look at everything since that's my job.

mtbtwo.png

Will aslo say that I'm just not a huge fan of these brands and their weird names. Would it stop me from buying or playing the ball? No, but I think it does a disservice to a decent product to give it a goofy name. Just an opinion of course.

Short game testing was from fringe and grass using my standard 60° chip shots. This is a shot I can generate some spin with from good lies, so it's a good barometer for me. Sitting the two next to each other it was pretty easy to tell which was which, though I didn't look before I hit them at first. With as close to the same swing as I can manage I consistently saw the GS ball end up about 5-10 feet farther than the MTB. Small checking action observed with MTB and none that I could notice with the GS. This is pretty much exactly what I'd expect and I didn't notice any real difference there if we consider past experience with other similarly covered balls.

Feel off both the putter and wedge is nice with both, though it seems that the GS ball has a nice low-compression sound to it. Little more firmness perceived from the MTB, but again -both were nice sounding golf balls for their cover type.

That's about it for now. Summary in terms of performance greenside is that they did what I'd expect them to do. Boring, but true :D

The names are certainly gimmicky....

I think I would change the My Tour Ball to the MyT...

The Get Sum... to the GS.......

The names are certainly gimmicky....

I think I would change the My Tour Ball to the MyT...

The Get Sum... to the GS.......

Yea I don't know why they do it, but they all seem to.

I get that it's maybe more attention grabbing, but I think gimmicky is a good way to describe why I'm not a fan. Takes away from the product imo.

I was able to hit both balls side-by-side last night for 12 holes or so. Greens were more receptive at this place and there isn't ever a great deal of roll out off the tee, making things a little easier to judge than the ice rink I've been playing at. Just a refresher - the Get Sum ball is a 2 piece, lower compression surlyn ball at $21 and the My Tour Ball is a 3-piece cast urethane ball at $32.

I'm just going to toss out some categories and talk about both in them to keep things somewhat organized.

-Feel - both balls are advertised as low compression balls. Lots of the same keywords we are seeing all over the place these days - soft core, maintains high ball speeds and reduces driver spin, etc. The MTB isn't the softest urethane ball I've hit, but it's fine. When I think soft, I think FG Tour soft. Nothing really stood out I guess. Very middle of the road, which is fine. Just based on some research, I expected a little more, but it was good overall. The GS ball was the softer of the two to me in full swings and actually very nice on wedges and the putter as well. A typical, low compression, surlyn sound - think e6 for comparison.

-Distance - I'll be real and just say that they went pretty much the same distance. Sometimes one was a few yards farther on similar swings, sometimes they were virtually identical. I'm of the belief that more often than not, it's coincidence when we hear 'this ball is longer for me' due to the million variables in play. It's a game of feet in most cases and I just doubt the ability to ascertain that kind of difference with the eyes on a golf couse. I took a picture of two of the most similar, back-to-back swings I've ever taken off the tee using the mini-driver and they were about 5 feet apart from each other at the exact some distance. Typical/average would be my blanket statement for the two balls.

-Trajectory - Maybe a bit more height out of the MTB, but again - such a loaded statement prone to false evidence. Both flew nice and high when I hit the ball nice and high, just like I'd hope.

-Spin/Stopping Power - Here's where some/most will notice a performance difference between the two balls. Most notably with partial wedges and greenside. MTB performed well here, with 1/2 and 3/4 swings showing minimal release - feet rather than yards. As I got in closer that release increased a bit, but I'd say it was all very typical of what I'd expect out of a urethane ball. No crazy spin, but that's a swing/lie thing. When I took those shots with the GS ball, an observable difference typical of what I'm used to - more release. Full irons weren't really all that different just based on trajectory. Definitely more bite greenside with the MTB.

So, my subjective impression is that they are both fine golf balls. I've not really found a small brand ball that stood out from the rest in a big way when it came to performance or feel and so far these are no different. Now, that's not to say I've found quality issues or problems with the performance. It's just that if you gave me five of them (and I think I've reviewed 4 now?) and took off the labels I'd never be able to tell the difference.

I came away with a slightly more favorable impression of the GS ball for some reason, but that's just a feeling and I have nothing to back it up in terms of performance. Just thought it was a very nice, soft feeling 2 piece ball.

That takes us to price, which is really the only place I think these smaller brands excel. In the case of the GS ball, at $22 I think it's overpriced to draw me in enough to purchase them. I can get a number of other similar balls with proven track records for less or right around that price. $15 is a good price for that ball imo. I would buy it at $15 happily for a winter ball.

As for the MTB, it's a decent price at $32. Again though, I buy last year's model of my normal brands during the off season for less than that. Is that a totally fair comparison? Probably not, but it's reality. I bought 6 dozen of my normal gamer balls this winter, all for under $30 each. If you're a guy that spends $50 a dozen on golf balls, we may have differing opinions. To me though, $32 is a fine price, but not one that has me grabbing my credit card.

Great stuff Hawkster.

Nice review hawk...all the bases covered

I played the "My Tour Ball" this past Saturday for my first round of the year @ my new club, shooting a 73. The ball performed very well. The spin 100 yards and in was damn good. It holds its line well in the wind and doesn't even try to "balloon" when hit into the wind. Very durable cover, too. My only complaint is that it doesn't float, as I lost it in the water on the 17th hole. In all honesty, I really like the ball, but I don't think it's quite as long as my usual Tour Preferred X's. Although, I feel the cover was more durable than the Tour Preferred X.

This is true for me too. I took the Snell My Tour Ball to Golf Galaxy for a ball fitting last week. I pitted it against the Callaway Chrome+ (last year's ball), Chrome Soft and the TM TP X. The Snell performed almost exactly like the Chrome+. But both were about 5-8 yards shorter with the 7-iron, with driver about 10 yards less than Chrome Soft & 15 yards less than TP X

What was that difference attributed to? Launch/spin/ball speed?

Solid responses Hawk, left no real questions to be asked.

32 a dozen is a nice price, but there are so many other places out there where you can find the ball you play for cheaper than normal that it makes it tough to make a 32 dollar gamble.

What was that difference attributed to? Launch/spin/ball speed?

Good question! It was less spin for the Chrome Soft & TP X, ball speed and launch pretty much the same for all

Great Review Ryan, I enjoyed your comments and thoughts. Well done buddy.

Played with both balls again yesterday and spent almost an hour on the putting/chipping green with just the MTB. Will say outright that I have no complaints about either. Both are fine representations of what you should expect buying either a surlyn or urethane ball.

Price comments from before nonwithstanding (those are entirely personal to me), I see another ball that brings urethane into the affordable realm and that's a good thing.

I don't really tear up golf balls, so I guess I'll say that durability is fine for me. I say that with almost every golf ball though (there are a few exceptions).

Both are pleasant sounding from full shots to putts. I tried a couple other 'soft' urethane balls for comparison yesterday with the putter and it was a virtual wash. So much of that depends on where you're striking the ball on the putter face anyway.

MTB will definitely spin and is easy to control distance with. Probably my only good shot of the day yesterday was an 80 yard wedge that fell and sat down within a foot or so, which is a good result for me.

Lemme know if you have questions. At some point, golf balls are golf balls to me and I struggle to come up with a ton of content for you. Rather that than just making things up with fancy words lol.

Thanks for your reviews and candid comments. I just ordered a couple dozen MyTour a few days ago and looking forward to trying them out. I think they are probably going to perform pretty well against the golf balls I normally play. I kind of expect these to be pretty close in performance to at least one or two golf balls in similar price ranges and they will probably compete pretty well over all. I am currently using a just released urethane 3 piece ball that looks like it will offer stiff competition to the MyTour at about the same price point,and is probably somewhat softer.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Bumping this back up.

Just got back from lunch and walked into this from one of my suppliers!

image1_zpsfz9nwzwa.jpeg

Back