Granddaddy Tuneup

GolfFest

#THCE18
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Time
With the Granddaddy coming up I thought it would be good to get some feedback.

First swing is a 7 iron from down the line. Shot is a slight fade. I feel I come over the top a little. My miss is generally a hook and I have been working on changing that. Posture at address looks a little hunched to me.

Second from in front is a 6 iron that was a draw. What jumps out at me though is it looks like I need to quiet my front leg.

Third shot down the line was driver, mostly straight though I pulled it a couple yards. Result was fine though I'm sure there is plenty in there that could be improved. Posture looks better here to me than the 7i.

Any thoughts or feedback welcome.

To me it looks like you are losing some spine angle in that drive swing and standing straight up at contact. If it is working and controllable I wouldnt tweak to much and work on your scoring clubs though.

To me it looks like you are losing some spine angle in that drive swing and standing straight up at contact. If it is working and controllable I wouldnt tweak to much and work on your scoring clubs though.

I can definitely see what you are referring to. I can see it in the 7i swing as well but it isn't as pronounced. I don't know what causes that.

I can definitely see what you are referring to. I can see it in the 7i swing as well but it isn't as pronounced. I don't know what causes that.

swing plane, lack of flexibility / core strength / balance. the thought is to initiate the downswing by pulling the left hip open and staying in the swing, then just letting everything release into a balanced finish with your weight on your left side. sounds easy, right?!

Good stuff guys. When I completely finish the swing my belt buckle is generally pointing well left of target so I always incorrectly thought I was rotating more than enough. Looking at where I am at impact tells a different story.

Let's start with fundamentals. Posture is hunched but easy to fix. Just stick your chest out and arch your lower back. Leg flex and waist tilt are fine.
Alignment is off so let's get that in line. I'm a big fan of hips and shoulders being on the same line. The feet as well but you can get away with the feet being a little off if the first two are correct.
The swing is ok but the three different shots concerns me. We need to find one swing that your are comfortable with. Based on the swing I saw in the video, I'd play a fade. Now to get more consistent, try to keep your hands at shoulder height on the back swing. You're getting high hands which is resulting in an over swing which turns into a timing issue. Combine this with the poor posture and alignment and we get 'guess where the ball is going'.

Recap: posture, alignment and shoulder high hands. Work on these and you'll see more consistency.

Worked on those things as well as maintaining spine angle and the results from today were super promising. Shot after shot with the driver was right down the middle with a slight draw. Irons were straight with a slight draw as well. I did lose a couple further left but was happy as a whole. I won't try and play a fade at this point, don't want to mess things up too much.

So alignment, posture, not overswinging, and maintaining spine angle are what I will work on going forward. That and spend time on short game.

Back