Jobbed on the Course

ArmyGolf was on hand for this one, and can attest that I am not BS-ing haha. Northview Canal, Hole #1, a medium length par 5, into the wind that day. Played smart and hit a perfect 4W off the tee, followed by a layup to about 170. From there, I hit a dead-nuts perfect 5 iron that was headed straight for the green. However, it was not to be, as there was a seagull sitting on the lip of the bunker just in front and to the right of the green. The ball beaned the seagull in the wing (I think) and richocheted back into the trap and tucked up against the back lip, in a nearly impossible spot. So instead of the ball landing just ahead of the bunker and likely rolling into a good spot on the green, it takes me 2 shots to get out of the trap, and then I'm so rattled I 3 putt for a crowd pleasing 8.

Luckily it was a fun day with good company, because the gods of golf (and waterfowl) had decided that it was not a day for good scoring pretty much from the get go. Hahaha

This was ages ago when I went out for the golf team in High School. Two straight years missed the cut by one stroke - Hole #2: Hit my driver down the left side where new baby trees had been planted (about 2" diameter) and my ball bounced into one of the them only to ricochet straight left OB. At the time it felt like a jobbing, but now I see it as I should have hit my ball into the heart of the fairway :)

Playing Cobblestone in Atlanta. Wind was whipping 25 mph. Hit my tee shot into the hole. My entire group was going crazy. As I parked the cart at the green, I could see the ball wedged between the stick and the edge of the cup. A big gust of wind, and the stick pushed the ball out of the hole.

Oh, I'd have counted that.

I, too, have experienced the "Amazing Disappearing Ball in The Middle of the Fairway".

I think we all have. Happens to me pretty regular with this dead grass.

In high school our home course had these HUGE (3 ft tall, 3 inches in diameter), heavy poles in the middle of the fairway marking the 150 yard point. We were on the 13th hole and I was even par at that point. Being that it was a short hole and had OB on both sides and a pond as well, I hit a 6 iron right at the center of the fairway...That sucker hit the 150 pole and bounced straight back at me about 40 yards. My next shot ended up over the green and I found myself with a nice double bogey. Big difference between hitting a 9 iron and a 4 iron. I was so mad and unfortunately couldn't get my head back on track after that. Could have been a great tournament for me....Where was Bob Rotella when I needed him most! :p

I wasn't jobbed so much by the course as I was the lazy players in the group ahead of me.
Playing a 135-140 yard par 3 and I hit my tee shot right at the stick. The ball never leaves the stick the entire flight, lands a few steps short and rolls right up to the hole and instead of dropping, hits the stick and bounces back about 2" from the cup.
When I get to the green, I see that group ahead of us had just halfway stuck the pin in the cup and it was leaning directly back towards the tee, not leaving enough room for a ball to fall in. At that moment I wanted to take that flagstick and use it as a spear to hunt down the group ahead of me.
Now that I have a couple of aces, I'm not quite as bitter, but it's still a sore spot with me and one of the reasons that I haven't played that particular course much since that took place.

Oh, I'd have counted that.

A lot of people have told me to count it. At one point I sort of did, and then decided not to. I still can't quite wash the taste of it out of my mouth.

I've had a putt one time make two full 360* rotations around the cup to not go in. Also my father in law once was trying to punch out from a wooded area to only have the ball go farther back than where he started.

Yesterday I hit a tree flush and the ball went about 70 yds behind me. But at least I found it.
I have nothing on Erky or breaking a wrist. Those are much better jobbers than mine.

We've got a course up here in Raleigh that has a layup Par 5 on the back 9. I've hit some of the most beautiful shots on that hole to only roll all the way through the fairway and across the cart path and OB. The bad thing is, it's happend more than once. First time, i hit 3 hybrid so from then on I said no more 3 hybrids and hit the 4 hybrid next time. Flushed it, right through the fairway again. Next time, hit 5 iron, landed safely back, on a down slope, through the dang fairway AGAIN. COME ON! Bad thing is I've hit 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid, and 5 iron safely in the fairway on this hole too. Oh and I've also had the mysterious lost ball in the middle of the fairway and the 225 yard 7 iron lay up to go off the sprinkler head down the rock hard fairway into the creek. Hardest thing about this game is not letting the mental game beat you!

Back