The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good range session tonight focusing on wedges 100yds and in plus driver and 3W. I was hooking them quite a bit last weekend and it's the result of an inside-out downswing. I worked on feeling more OTT with an exaggerated practice swing and that helped straighten out the ball flight. Hoping to get out for 18 this weekend.

I had a spectacular practice session yesterday. I really focused on alignment and ball position, and threw down the alignment rods for the first time in a while. I was striking the ball well all the way up the bag, wit some misses in there of course. My swing thought was keeping a smooth tempo: swing all my clubs like they are a wedge. Kept me from over swinging with the longer clubs and it really helped. Got some clock drill in on the putting green as well to close it out. No golf this weekend, so that was a good end to my golf week.

Had a productive lesson this evening. Moving into adjusting my spine angle at address and holding my chin up through impact. I really like my pros approach. We focus on setup and finish positions which is much easier for me to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More range time. I'm really focusing on tempo and to stop swaying on the backswing. When I do this I hit some solid irons shots, now to make it work on the course.

Hit a small bucket off grass...yes! Then went a grabbed a ? deal 9. Good day.

Had my first lesson with my new instructor. It was more of an evaluation being the first time. We wnst through hitting 10 balls to green at 150yds hit 6/10. Had me hit several drivers. Have some tweaks to make in swing.

then did two shirt game drills.

Just working on the short game tonight so I can keep up with Zenger and Bhilln tomorrow. Putting well with the new Odyssey putter and not topping any balls :)
fe546f728cb744b37592923f20a6252d.jpg

one of my weaknesses is hit lob pitches . Only pitch I can hit is a low runner , used to hit great lobs . Was thinking about putting some buckets in the yard and start off with 15 or 20 yard shots aiming for the bucket . Tried hitting lobs on practice green today and hit a lot of thins over the green ( alla tiger ) . Looking to get some confidence doing this at home with no expectations

Hit the range again today and hit for about 45 min. I'm really beginning to understand how important spine angle is for me and how tough a time I'm having holding it. My push fades seem to be a direct result of standing up through the ball. I worked on standing a little taller and keeping my left shoulder down. When Im successful, I'm hitting a piercing baby draw that seems to fly for days. Unfortunately, I'm only successful about 30% of the time right now. Its early though, so I know I can work that into a higher consistency. I finished with 4 really, really good swings. Keep those fresh in my mind.

I went to the putting green next and worked on short sided, down hill chips. After each set of six chips, I'd putt out each ball as I would on a course to get "up and down". This really seems to help once I get out on the course. I then practiced getting my ball on line with the left hand low grip I switched to last fall. Putted about 30 balls from 3-5 feet and a dozen each from 10, 20, 30, and 50 feet. Really want to dial my lag putting this year. That was big cause of many of my 3 putts last year. Too many 5 footers.

Really felt like a productive session today.

Hit the range again today and hit for about 45 min. I'm really beginning to understand how important spine angle is for me and how tough a time I'm having holding it. My push fades seem to be a direct result of standing up through the ball. I worked on standing a little taller and keeping my left shoulder down. When Im successful, I'm hitting a piercing baby draw that seems to fly for days. Unfortunately, I'm only successful about 30% of the time right now. Its early though, so I know I can work that into a higher consistency. I finished with 4 really, really good swings. Keep those fresh in my mind.

I went to the putting green next and worked on short sided, down hill chips. After each set of six chips, I'd putt out each ball as I would on a course to get "up and down". This really seems to help once I get out on the course. I then practiced getting my ball on line with the left hand low grip I switched to last fall. Putted about 30 balls from 3-5 feet and a dozen each from 10, 20, 30, and 50 feet. Really want to dial my lag putting this year. That was big cause of many of my 3 putts last year. Too many 5 footers.

Really felt like a productive session today.
Good stuff Nate. I notice when I work on stretching and flexibility, maintaining the spine angle is easy.

Lesson today and it was a bit eye opening to say the least. I've been playing well but last weekend I started hooking again. Put the swing on video and I'm flat and inside-out again. We worked on a more upright takeaway and OTT feel on the downswing. It's gonna take alot of reps as I still want to attack the ball from the inside and way below the plane. Got my drills and it time to do work!

First practice session in a while.
Started w putter. Did the clock drill from 3-4 feet. Then 10 ft putts around the hole. Finished w 40-50 ft uphill & downhill putts.
Next, moved to bunkers. Absolute garbage today. I figured out my right elbow was flying.
Some 15 yd chips next.
Then to the range. Hitting knock down SW to about 75 Yds. Irons were drawing nicely. Hybrid, not so much. High cut.
3w and Driver behaved nicely. Hit 10 drivers w a touch of a cut, right on line.
Finished w putting. Dropped 3 balls, worked away from the hole at 3ft increments - 3,6,9,12,15 ft. Left after I made at least 2 of 3 from each distance.

Good stuff Nate. I notice when I work on stretching and flexibility, maintaining the spine angle is easy.
That makes a lot of sense. I do stretch a lot, so I think its related to my lack of core strength right now. Started work on that yesterday as well. Feeling it today ha

Went out and practiced with the 58 tonight, concentrating on a slow, smooth takeaway and transition. That's been my 2nd biggest fault in my swing lately, my backswing and transition are way too fast and violent and I just lose my entire swing before it really starts.

Pretty good results.

Had one of my best range sessions ever and it was my first real session in a while. It was like everything just came together and I don't know why. I usually finish up my range sessions by hitting 1 shot with PW through Driver. Idea is to hit a good shot and move on to the next. Hit it thin or poorly, I reset back at PW. Made it all the way through on the 2nd try. Only thing I wasn't really happy with was driver but it was starting to come around towards the end. Playing my first round of the year tomorrow so hopefully it translates onto the course.

Didn't score well today at all. Left a lot of shots out there and chipping/pitching was about 50/50. Came home and have been working on chipping and short pitches into a net for the duration of this hockey game. Have the alignment rods out as well to make sure my swing is coming through the right path. Can't let what happened today scoring wise happen again, so I'm going to work hard during this final lead up to Old Silo to make sure I can stick it close from 50 yards and in.

I've had the oddest problem, thankfully only at the range, and not on the course, over the last month or so...

Ive started hooking my short irons (GW through 7-I)

I was actually just coming out of a deep sleep this am when I figured it out.

For some unknown reason I started to prefer a much lower trajectory, with a partial swing, over a full swing (with a higher trajectory).
So, I started closing the club face down on set up, by introducing more (a lot more) shaft lean.

result: lower trajectory, with a consistent pull hook.
me: stupid

Sometimes I think I really, really over complicate the golf swing.

Heading to the range in a bit. Focus is on stable lower body and staying down on the shot.

Had a really good range session today I've been struggling lately with the pulls with my irons. Just worked on keeping a shorter backswing and a much smoother transition and started hitting some really good shots.

Took another step to becoming a better golfer today during a range session in beautiful weather.

I've realized my OTT swing is due largely to loss of spine angle. Tonight, I finally felt what good players feel as I maintained my spine angle, stayed behind the ball and released down the line like never before. Needless to say, it's one small step in a journey, but being able to feel the difference between right and wrong is certainly a step in the right direction.

Got in my first mini range session of the year today. My god it felt good to take a divot and see ball flight lol. Hit a small bucket after playing on the sim and watching the masters. Tomorrow starts the grind to really work hard on making my swing changes stick and get better. It's going to feel good to be a range rat again.

It amazes me that I can hit range balls better than real golf balls. Nice draws on the range. On the course, high fades and pulls.
Ugh.

It amazes me that I can hit range balls better than real golf balls. Nice draws on the range. On the course, high fades and pulls.
Ugh.

Same here. I know why I do it. I'm good and loose on the range. No consequence for a poorly struck ball, so you don't think about a bad outcome. On the course, all you can think about is "don't hit this bad", so of course you do.

You're gonna hit it the way that your thinking about it. Negative thoughts and worries almost always lead to a poor swing. That carefree range swing leads to a nice, tight ball flight. That's why they say that what separates the pros from the Joes is the "mental" aspect of the game.

Time to get the sc100 out this week and start recording some yardages. Hopefully get a better idea on distances for the new clubs in the bag.

Crazy week and didn't hit a ball from Monday to Sunday. Range session yesterday reflected that. Took me some time to get going, but was fine in the end. Very tired of hitting balls off of mats. Finished up on the putting green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back