Ping Tour Gorged Wedges: My experience

ZachStreetBoyz

Reaction score
Handicap
So as a Christmas Gift to myself I went to a local school of golf to get an outdoor wedge fitting. Over a year ago, I fell in love with a set of Ping s55 irons. As a forged only player for my entire life, our love story was a rocky one, but today I wouldn't game another iron. With strong feelings for the irons in my mind, I began to wonder about some Ping wedges.

IMG_2117 6.jpg

I've been hella inconsistent with my wedges since leaving the 4-5 hour a day practice sessions in college and despite success with the Mack Daddy 2's, I was ready for a change. I found an outdoor fitter to conduct a wedge fitting, spent about an hour with the Anser and Tour Gorged and ultimately went with the Tour. I ordered a 50 and a 56 SS to replace my 50 and 54. I really liked the idea of an extra 2 degrees of loft in my highest wedge (just recently stopped using the lob cold turkey). I placed the order and was quoted 5-7 days (this is the Friday before Christmas) and left. But on the way home I called the fitter and added a heel Ping WRX grind to the order.

IMG_2117 5.jpg

Fully expecting the custom order to delay the wedges arrival, I was shocked when they showed on Christmas eve! I got home around 2 am and spent an hour chipping off the carpet. It was 100% love at first site. The finish is sick, the shape is perfect and the heel grind could not be more useful. I recommend that heel grind to anyone.

IMG_2117 4.jpg

I haven't had a lot of chances to play since I received them until recently. But, with absolutely 0 practice my first 4 rounds of the year have been 79, 78, 77, and 77. Which is awesome, in my opinion. That last 77 was shot from the tourney tees at the Golf Club of Houston, home of the Shell Houston Open. The pic below depicts the results of a 30 yard bunker shot on number 6.

IMG_2117 3.jpg

This is not a review, but...... I give these a 10/10!

I haven't hit the Gorge wedges, but I gamed for Anser wedges for a while and really enjoyed them. Good stuff, man.

I haven't hit the Gorge wedges, but I gamed for Anser wedges for a while and really enjoyed them. Good stuff, man.

Hands down the best full swing wedges I have ever hit. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hands down the best full swing wedges I have ever hit. Thanks.

That's good to hear. I had DG Spinners in my Ansers--they were good on partial swings, but on the full swing it was not a good fit for me.

That's good to hear. I had DG Spinners in my Ansers--they were good on partial swings, but on the full swing it was not a good fit for me.

I've never been a fan of the spinners or the hi rev.

I love my Gorge wedges. I have been debating on switching the shafts on them recently. Not sure tho. Zach, what kind of shafts did you go with?

I love my Gorge wedges. I have been debating on switching the shafts on them recently. Not sure tho. Zach, what kind of shafts did you go with?

Stock CFS. I'll switch to steelfibers when I'm not so lazy. What shafts do you have?

I own these wedges, 50/54/59 degrees, w heel grind on 54&59 really like these but I have beaten them down and am about to try some new wedges. CFS stiff shafts +1".

Stock CFS. I'll switch to steelfibers when I'm not so lazy. What shafts do you have?
Cfs x-stiff standard length. I have brand new TT tour issue s300 that I have thought putting on them but still up in the air about it.

I own these wedges, 50/54/59 degrees, w heel grind on 54&59 really like these but I have beaten them down and am about to try some new wedges. CFS stiff shafts +1".

How old are they?

I have not. I haven't gamed a cleveland wedge in about 6 years. I need to find that set. I loved the grind on the lob wedge. Switched from them to so Yururi wedges (LOVED them), then a set of Wishon MicroTours (not too shabby) then Mack Daddy 2's (great for chipping, not great for swinging) and now the Tour Gorge.

I will say that I get more green side spin with the Tour Gorge, than any wedge I have ever played. I consistently back them up 5ft with full swings, 2-3ft with sand shots, and can get a nice one hop and stop with a normal lie.

I will say that I get more green side spin with the Tour Gorge, than any wedge I have ever played. I consistently back them up 5ft with full swings, 2-3ft with sand shots, and can get a nice one hop and stop with a normal lie.

That is interesting. Can you tell me what other wedges you have tried recently.
Between the lessening of grooves and seeing most spin be similar in our testing, this is really interesting to me.

Between the lessening of grooves and seeing most spin be similar in our testing, this is really interesting to me.

Mack Daddy 2's, 2013's nike (my dark horse fav for 2013), sm5, tour preferred (my fav last year), tour gorge (my fav).

I'm allll about wedges. in college I spent 2 hours a day chipping and hitting sand shots. I could amaze you with some bunker skills. I once got up and down from a plugged lie to 30 yard pin with water 6 ft behind it.

Back