Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid Preview

Very possible....I'll play with it one of these days when Jman can swap some adapters for me, etc.

#Cookie, are you sure you have the Alpha 815 hybrid and not the Big Bertha hybrid? thought your had the regular BB Hybrids with the recoil shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#Cookie, are you sure you have the Alpha 815 hybrid and not the Big Bertha hybrid? thought your had the regular BB Hybrids with the recoil shafts.

I have both Dave, 3h in both models with the 815 cranked down to 17* IIRC to serve more of like a 2h. BB 3h is at neutral loft.

I have both Dave, 3h in both models with the 815 cranked down to 17* IIRC to serve more of like a 2h. BB 3h is at neutral loft.

I'm really excited to try these the next time we tee it up brother.

This beauty is going to be in my bag this year. Thought the stock shaft was pretty quality in the stiff flex and the looks/sound are incredibly pleasing.

And it's purchased. Can't wait to get this on the course this spring.

Nice Tyler. I have a feeling your going to love it.

Cool, would be interested in hearing how you like the regular BB Hybrid vs. the 815 Hybrid. Different shape and launch profiles. I've just started using the 20* and am loving it so far.

Thanks #Cookie.

Cool, would be interested in hearing how you like the regular BB Hybrid vs. the 815 Hybrid. Different shape and launch profiles. I've just started using the 20* and am loving it so far.

Thanks #Cookie.

You got it, headed to play this morning but there is no range there but on course I'll try to hit some head to head to note the launch differences, etc.

BB definitely has some junk in the trunk over the 815 but not is a displeasing way to me. Looks don't tend to bother me and with how well I was hitting the BB hybrid I would've taken a 2h if it was available.

Thanks #Cookie.

While I am still partial to the XR hybrids, I honestly think it might have to do with hosel look being non-adjustable. These are rock solid and offered a penetrating flight for me where as the BB and X line were a bit higher without any ill effects of ballooning. The XR is as long as the X2Hot was (which is staggering) in a look that fits my eye.

I will say that those that struggle with lefts with hybrids (which seems like many golfers online) (yet in person I dont see it as much), this line might just be the best hybrid I have seen to date for the issue.

I was able to do some head to head comparison today between the BB and 815 heads. At address (pic below) these don't look too different.

On well struck shots, I see a similar ball flight which I would consider upper mid to high. The real difference appears in the forgiveness. With the 815, it's not nearly as forgiving as the BB. The BB still wants to track generally straight and in play with "off" shots while the 815 has a bit more lateral movement. I see similar forgiveness in the BB 5h as well.

One area where I love the 2h is the ability to hit punch shots....I can play it back and keep it very low for a hot runner when needed.

Photo below, BB on left and 815 on right.

081b67c71c4fb94c24bc97704afad1d7.jpg

The 815 wins for me just based on no alignment aid.

The 815 wins for me just based on no alignment aid.

Yup. That's partially why I went with it. Seems like a combo of the head size of the X2Hot, the Pro crown and CG placement, with adjustability. It's perfect.

I was able to do some head to head comparison today between the BB and 815 heads. At address (pic below) these don't look too different.

On well struck shots, I see a similar ball flight which I would consider upper mid to high. The real difference appears in the forgiveness. With the 815, it's not nearly as forgiving as the BB. The BB still wants to track generally straight and in play with "off" shots while the 815 has a bit more lateral movement. I see similar forgiveness in the BB 5h as well.

One area where I love the 2h is the ability to hit punch shots....I can play it back and keep it very low for a hot runner when needed.

Photo below, BB on left and 815 on right.

081b67c71c4fb94c24bc97704afad1d7.jpg

Cookie, is that adaptor on the 815 on backwards?

WTH. Let me go check....I'm now thoroughly confused.

Before:

abfe8e3045da24f87a301d10134afbc3.jpg

99561e44cb4377459e3334ca97acc476.jpg

After:

0cd274bb8398b6ade0a4a5d536d49795.jpg

c28f2e1a5ceaad4251039131b833fc3f.jpg

So apparently I've been playing it likely at 20* instead of 17*.

This would explain the ball flight and distance discrepancies.

What an idiot I am......ughhhhh.

That is funny. Now I am looking forward to your next round of feedback.

I'm sorry Cookie, but that is funny brother. Haha

Hahaha epic

We all have those moments Cookie, no worries.

I'm just glad you guys noticed. Cause obviously I'm an idiot and didn't. With this realization I feel a range session is due on Wednesday since I'll also have a few other clubs looking for feedback.

Cookie no worries man I have to read the instruction manual like 5 times before it sinks in.

I'm just glad you guys noticed. Cause obviously I'm an idiot and didn't. With this realization I feel a range session is due on Wednesday since I'll also have a few other clubs looking for feedback.
Haha that is hilarious man but glad it's straightened out and playing the right loft now.

Sorry I did not see that today. I never really looked at how you had them set up.
But I still think it's funny. I can't say anything though. I have done it before with another club.

There's your #BasmentDweller Captain right there!

Just kidding #Cookie, look forward to review part deux.

Cookie, is that adaptor on the 815 on backwards?
LOL I noticed that little white line there too...

It's amazing how common this is... I regularly fix drivers on my home course range as my middle aged friends attempt to 'fine tune their setup' haha!

Can't wait to hear the updates Cookie.

Back