BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Looks amazing JB. I so want to fire up my Kamado today. However with 30 mph winds, heavy snow and temps around 20F. I don't see it happening.

2 pork butts.....

b1d2ffedb8effad295658c54caa30fab.jpg

Did 3 dozen wings in the Egg yesterday and have ribs in now, throw the wings back on to finish about 5:30 everything will be ready to go at game time

Yum on those pork butts.

Doing it the old fashioned way today, going to the Feed Store (thats really the name) to pick up brisket, ribs, turkey, sausage, pulled pork, onion straws, bean, cole slaw, and mac/cheese.

Here's some pre BBQ pics.

Rub is on sweet pork sausage
846b24d06a2e4a65d0579a3cfea5c5ec.jpg

Cooked up some thick cut bacon and spread it throughout
6351a30082d9e42cc1ee4346da0b2acb.jpg

The bacon basket weave
9db520a5c7f75414557e16c6cefaadfa.jpg

Everything rolled in, not as tight as I'd like it but it'll do
f7d7dbb124e41c4319479c5c120a4ae3.jpg

More rub and sauce. Food allergies in the house make the left side sans sauce
0fb8a731ecd9bf9cf977d6b23794c574.jpg

Now it's smoking away with hickory wood. Will probably take a couple hours.

Here's some pre BBQ pics.

Rub is on sweet pork sausage
846b24d06a2e4a65d0579a3cfea5c5ec.jpg

Cooked up some thick cut bacon and spread it throughout
6351a30082d9e42cc1ee4346da0b2acb.jpg

The bacon basket weave
9db520a5c7f75414557e16c6cefaadfa.jpg

Everything rolled in, not as tight as I'd like it but it'll do
f7d7dbb124e41c4319479c5c120a4ae3.jpg

More rub and sauce. Food allergies in the house make the left side sans sauce
0fb8a731ecd9bf9cf977d6b23794c574.jpg

Now it's smoking away with hickory wood. Will probably take a couple hours.

Looks good. I do the same thing, but come up with all kinds of different combinations of things to put in the middle. I've made pepperoni pizza, cordon blue, philly cheese steak and a few more. When I do the sausage layer, I put it into a gallon size ziplock bag and smooth it out with a rolling pin which makes it a lot easier to contain the innards, especially if you use cheese.

A bacon bomb?!?! I need to do this. looks great dude.

I knew I had some pics around here. These are awesome. If you've got a smoker and don't make these, you're missing out.

2268379f416c33317d93d7c7729b28e6.jpg

5f3cf8f4b06400d740ab6912f4a47ad8.jpg

They are really good, but I literally feel my heart screaming as I eat it, so I only do one every now and then.

They are really good, but I literally feel my heart screaming as I eat it, so I only do one every now and then.

There's just something about putting pork inside of pork and then wrapping it with more pork that'll do that to you.

And here it is done.

41925fa04fef3e9ef4c489fde84f3599.jpg

I had two pieces and tapped out. It had a kick to it with the rub as well.

On an unrelated note, my wife is on board getting a Komodo. I love the BBQ I have now, but less space and a little less attention to maintain heat is enough for me to take a gander. Surface space will be a big consideration.

With my love of the Q, but having so many things going on which makes it difficult to spend 12-14 hours monitoring temperatures, I've been thinking of doing the unthinkable and getting a Bradley or similar electric smoker. It would be so convenient to be able to just set it an forget it instead of waking up every couple hours monitoring temperatures, but it seems like cheating.

Yeah I've thought about electric but can't do it. I like charcoal too much. I hear you on the time issue though. I'm hoping the Komodo helps alleviate the monitoring so I'm going to look into it.

Smoked pork shoulders on a Webber, for pulled pork sandwiches. They came out awesome!
e2db0ff7fbfc5fc57b46929bb8d59adc.jpg

de564de49fc294164881ddb389b7a25a.jpg

Had this in the wrong forum. Smoked turkey ready to carve

Looks great what kind of wood did you use.

So what is everyone's routine for cleaning their grille?

So what is everyone's routine for cleaning their grille?

Depends on the mess. In most cases, heat up very hot and use my wire brush and the stuff just falls off. Then make sure you let it burn off, because grease smoke is quite bitter.

Depends on the mess. In most cases, heat up very hot and use my wire brush and the stuff just falls off. Then make sure you let it burn off, because grease smoke is quite bitter.

I do the same thing.

Natural harwood charcoal then chunks of apple wood thrown in. I am a big fan of apple wood

Looks great what kind of wood did you use.

On my #BGE I do the same thing, get it real hot and let it clean itself like a self cleaning oven in a way.
Also twice a year and take all the internal ceramic out and use a leaf blower to clean it out. When you do that just make sure you stay upwind as the dust will fly

On my #BGE I do the same thing, get it real hot and let it clean itself like a self cleaning oven in a way.
Also twice a year and take all the internal ceramic out and use a leaf blower to clean it out. When you do that just make sure you stay upwind as the dust will fly

Similar here as well, but instead of blowing, I suck it...haha.
I use my shopvac and vaccum out the inside once year and take out the grates and give them a good pressure washing.

Back