Rumor: Davis Love III to be the next Ryder Cup Capt

This Ryder Cup Task Force nonsense is absolutely laughable and I don't know how they're going to feel after they lose again.

DL3 is a good captain IMO, but it's still up to the players to put the ball in the hole.

The PGA is getting dumber than the NCAA. I was pulling for Freddie and it just feels like we need someone with a different style than the last few captains. Oh well, maybe it will be he and Jimenez in Europe but I doubt it. The PGA likes guys that fit their style.

Rumor: Davis Love III to be the next Ryder Cup Capt

I'm not swayed either way. I think whoever the captain is you still need the players to come together and play golf like the euros do.

If DLIII can get these guys pulling in the same direction it's a great choice, but my pessimism comes from the players themselves and not the captain. (Hope that makes sense bc it does in my head )

I like this choice. I would prefer for it to be Azinger again but if it can't be him the DL3 works. Freddie was my third choice of who it should be

If the guys on the team figure out how to play better this will look like a great pick.

That's just it. Doesn't matter who is Capt. if the squad on the course doesn't step up and play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Very weak choice. I think they need to do away with the RC.

I think it would be a great pick!

I don't necessarily mind the choice at all. He is a fine pick. HOWEVER, this timing is weird to say the least. Trial balloon? Probably not, since they most likely made the decision. It does make one wonder how something like this gets out if it is unintentional though. That's pretty shoddy.

The task force will be called into question though.

JM

I think it's a good choice and can't wait to see how it pans out.

Not sure he can get the guys to play with the fire and killer instinct they need to play with to beat the euro's.

I'm not sure that the U.S. Players even have that fire in them to beat the euro's.

I wonder how involved Couples and Azinger will be as well? Vices?

I think it's a great decision. For Europe.

Davis is one of my favorites, that being said so is Couples. Wish he got the nod this time instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always been a fan of Davis Love III, looking forward to see how he does with this.

Or at least make it Continent vs. Continent. Not that America would get much help from Canada, Mexico, or any of the other North American countries. The fact that team Europe gets to pick from an entire continent of players seems a bit unfair.

A few THPers yelled at me when I called the RC a "glorified silly season event."

It's amazing how important it is, when it really doesn't mean anything.

I have no problems with the pick. I thought Davis Love III did a pretty good job at Medinah and I would like to think the players will respond to him again. From listening to the Golf Channel this morning they were speculating that Couples and Lehman will be assistant captains with the idea of preparing them to be next in line.

DL3, the guy who let Phil & Keegan sit after going 4-0, led 10-6 going into Sunday & lost...thus we saw the Miracle at Medinah...odd choice at best, someone really does not want Feddie to Capt, he was the obvious choice

There are something like 5 active players on this panel. I suspect they all feel like they choked it away 3 years ago and owe it to DL3 to give him another shot as captain. I am sort of surprised at the choice, though.

I was listening to the golf channel and their explanation and the choice seems to be more political than earned. Seems you need to kiss the right XXX to get the job!! I really don't care, the captain doesn't hit any shots!!

Or at least make it Continent vs. Continent. Not that America would get much help from Canada, Mexico, or any of the other North American countries. The fact that team Europe gets to pick from an entire continent of players seems a bit unfair.

Inside the top 30 players in the world in the OWGR, 17 are from the States, 8 are from Continental Europe.

Size of possible player pool has nothing to do with it IMO when you actually consider the rankings.

The majority of the best players in the world come from America. There should be no excuse.

Inside the top 30 players in the world in the OWGR, 17 are from the States, 8 are from Continental Europe.

Size of possible player pool has nothing to do with it IMO when you actually consider the rankings.

The majority of the best players in the world come from America. There should be no excuse.

But this is America, we need an excuse!

I know the players loved him, but this seems odd to me.

The argument could be made that he had them in position in 2012 and has learned from his errors on sun...

Pretty interesting comments from Paul Azinger in this article: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/azinger-no-interest-16-captaincy-supports-love/

Here is the money quote for me:

Considered a favorite, along with Fred Couples, to captain another team among many observers, Azinger said he took his name out of consideration for next year’s captaincy.

“I had no interest in being the captain in 2016 for many reasons, personal and business,” he said. “I suggested Davis to the powers that be at the PGA. He’s a logical choice if he wants it.”

That's assuming that the world rankings aren't complete BS. Which of course, they are!

Back