Opinions on the Wilson Staff C-100 irons???

Max-4

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey, looking at the specs of these iron I think they would fit me very well. I am 6'1" and 220 pounds and I have been fitted for ping irons, these Wilson are the exact length from the factory I need, I would just need to bend them a degree or two upright if possible. I hit these irons last fall and liked them and my local store has the 4-GW on for $399 with steel shafts. What is that True Temper CL100 shaft like?

Why does Wilson Staff get no love here in north America? I wouldn't put them up there with Ping or Titleist but in my eyes they should be right along with Taylor Made, Callaway, Cobra. Made and assembled in China just like everything else now-a-days. Anyone spent any time with these irons, how did they like them? What do you think the build quality will be like?

Hey, looking at the specs of these iron I think they would fit me very well. I am 6'1" and 220 pounds and I have been fitted for ping irons, these Wilson are the exact length from the factory I need, I would just need to bend them a degree or two upright if possible. I hit these irons last fall and liked them and my local store has the 4-GW on for $399 with steel shafts. What is that True Temper CL100 shaft like?

Why does Wilson Staff get no love here in north America? I wouldn't put them up there with Ping or Titleist but in my eyes they should be right along with Taylor Made, Callaway, Cobra. Made and assembled in China just like everything else now-a-days. Anyone spent any time with these irons, how did they like them? What do you think the build quality will be like?
The stock steel shafts are nice but a bit clunky for my liking. You can't beat the stock Aldila RIP Phenoms tho. A lot of traditionalists were turned off by the chunky fat soles in these new C100 but to be honest I hardly ever hit fat with these. They offer a nice, high ball flight and steep descent with the short irons and a piercing mid ball flight in the longer irons. I love mine and wouldn't trade them for any offering out there and I've done extensive research on these. They really are high quality my man. Pull the trigger.

I demo'ed them recently and hit them against other of the "crossover" irons as I call them (I guess GI would be the category). Launch, distance and forgiveness (distance loss on misses) were all pretty much among the best according to the launch monitor. I like the look quite a bit as well and at $399, I think I would jump.

I love mine also. Was put off by thicker sole on them at first but grew to love it. I tried most of the other brands when i bought mine and hit these better than the others.

Does anybody know for sure if these irons are made from 17-4 or 431 stainless steel? Wondering if they will take a lie bend of 1 or maybe even 2 degrees?

Does anybody know for sure if these irons are made from 17-4 or 431 stainless steel? Wondering if they will take a lie bend of 1 or maybe even 2 degrees?

I bent a set 2 degrees with no issue at all.

Neither. These are made with a much harder carpenter's steel.

Neither. These are made with a much harder carpenter's steel.

Just for clarification, Carpenter Steel is the brand, not necessarily the type of stainless. For instance I believe they use Carpenter 455 in their metal woods.

Just for clarification, Carpenter Steel is the brand, not necessarily the type of stainless. For instance I believe they use Carpenter 455 in their metal woods.
Another way they describe it is meraging metal but it's basically a higher quality steel.

According to the copy I've seen on a few sites that sell these, it looks like 17-4.

"Thin Face Design - Stronger 17-4 stainless steel head material allows for the thinnest face Wilson Staff has ever engineered, improving trampoline effect for faster ball speeds and greater distance.

Exoskeleton Technology - Mass moved lower and around the perimeter of the head results in a lower center of gravity and a higher moment of inertia for the ideal trajectory and forgiveness, launching the ball higher and faster.

Sleek PVD Finish - Beautiful mirror finish, black PVD coated head with contrasting face and exoskeleton feature. Ultimate in feel and aspirational player styling."

According to the copy I've seen on a few sites that sell these, it looks like 17-4.

"Thin Face Design - Stronger 17-4 stainless steel head material allows for the thinnest face Wilson Staff has ever engineered, improving trampoline effect for faster ball speeds and greater distance.

Exoskeleton Technology - Mass moved lower and around the perimeter of the head results in a lower center of gravity and a higher moment of inertia for the ideal trajectory and forgiveness, launching the ball higher and faster.

Sleek PVD Finish - Beautiful mirror finish, black PVD coated head with contrasting face and exoskeleton feature. Ultimate in feel and aspirational player styling."

You are absolutely correct and I guess i should have expanded on my Carpenter is a brand.

Have those of you who've used these irons been happy with the stock shaft or did you go custom? Wilson Staffer seems to enjoy the standard graphite shafts. What about the steel? Has anyone customized dynamic gold, etc?

Dave

I'm happy using the stock RIP Phenom graphite shafts as well. Overall, W/S really did a great job with these irons and I think the stock steel shaft is probably just as well matched as the graphite. That being said dynamic gold SL might be a good fit.

Have those of you who've used these irons been happy with the stock shaft or did you go custom? Wilson Staffer seems to enjoy the standard graphite shafts. What about the steel? Has anyone customized dynamic gold, etc?

Dave

I have had multiple sets however one with Matrix Programs and the other with KBS Tours so not sure I can help there. Although it will come down to personal preference.

I have the stock steel shafts, and I am not in love with them.

100 grams I know...seems very heavy for such a compact club head. I wonder how they would do with something like a kbs c taper. Probably high launching I'm guessing.

I was cleaning some stuff out and came across a full set of unused DG Pros steel shafts.
If you need them, or want them, they are yours.

I was cleaning some stuff out and came across a full set of unused DG Pros steel shafts.
Lol i recall seeing those before

Very generous of you. Maybe we can hook up in the next week or two.

Lol i recall seeing those before

We got multiple sets when the review was done. Jman got his set for review. I had the Monacos already and that set was to go in my next set and then a wrist injury sent me to graphite.

I have a feeling they would be tremendous in these irons.

What don't you like about the stock Shafts?

What don't you like about the stock Shafts?

It's hard to put my finger on. There is a feeling that seems to be missing from them. Also, the stock grips, as I have said in another thread, are like bicycle tires.

The grips are pretty bad. I plan on replacing mine this spring.

The grips are pretty bad. I plan on replacing mine this spring.
Agreed on the grips. I replaced mine with GP VDR grips which to me are the best grip for irons in the world. It has made a world of difference.

Back