Has anyone tried the "Furyk" double overlap grip?

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was on the range a couple days ago listening to one of the high school players, a +3 index who is off to college next year on a golf scholarship. He was helping another player with his wedges. He normally uses a Vardon grip but uses a Jim Furyk grip(double overlap with only your middle, index, and thumb of your right hand on the club) with his wedges for better accuracy. I played around with it on the range a little bit and tried it on the course yesterday. I had 4 wedge shots on 9 holes and not one of my wedges was more than 8 feet offline. I have great distance control but often pull or push irons more than I would like.

I think this grip does require strong hands but for players like me that have a fairly active hands, this is something worth trying. It quiets my hands down and so far is more accurate with only about 3-5 yard loss of distance with my lob or sand wedge. It also seems to help give me perfect contact on 3/4 and/or partial wedges - maybe my biggest weakness. I thought I would share because it's one of the only grips I've never experimented with and I was able to put it in play successfully on the course after only hitting 30 practice shots on the range. I can't believe a 17 year old knows more about golf than I do!:banghead:

I can't even get comfortable with a single overlap.

I played it a little last season and it helped with getting my right hand to calm down on my swing. It actually prompted me to switch from interlock to single overlap. Ultimately, double was just a little too awkward for me with anything other than short irons.

All you can do is experiment a little. I've used an interlocking grip my entire life and it is all that works for me. Another one of those very subjective things.

I tried it, as I do switch from overlap to interlocking sometimes, and was curious on how it felt, but it doesn't work for me. I was putting way too much tension on my hands, cause I have the feeling I need to hold the club more firmly. Really struggled to make good contact.

Going to try this next weekend. Tried the interlocking grip for the first time in my round today. It pretty much accomplished what I wanted it to by significantly reducing the low pull hooks but it felt very awkward the whole round. Have gripped the club with the double overlap and taking partial swings numerous times this evening. Feels more natural to me. Have used the regular overlap grip for my 35+ years of golfing.

I have tried it and was a little more accurate dispersion wise but could never get real comfortable with (have used interlock for 30 years)

I played it for a whole season. I liked it, I'll still go back to it when I get a little handsy. Not really sure why I went away from it. Hmmmm. Now you got me thinking....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are active hands exactly? I've read about it a bit but I'm still unclear.

I tried it.

Great grip of the tee.

Poor grip of the wet ground, if your hand not strong enough. :)

I tried single and double overlap at the range last year and its way to different for me. I just can't do it.

Tried it on the range but could never get comfortable with it.

I've used it for years to help quite my hands. I can't use the interlock because my fingers are too fat and it hurts. The baseball grip causes huge snap hooks and the single lap is my second choice.

I have great distance control but often pull or push irons more than I would like.
I may try this for the reason above. I'm always pin high, it seems, but never close enough (or even on the green!).

I've used it for years to help quite my hands. I can't use the interlock because my fingers are too fat and it hurts. The baseball grip causes huge snap hooks and the single lap is my second choice.

I should have got some pointers from you at the "gethering". Is going to take a little getting used to but I'm going to give it a go this weekend.

I should have got some pointers from you at the "gethering". Is going to take a little getting used to but I'm going to give it a go this weekend.

haha as good as you hit the ball you don't need any pointers from the old man :D

Man more power to you if you can get used to that grip.... I use the single overlap grip for my chips around the green.

haha as good as you hit the ball you don't need any pointers from the old man :D

My propensity for low pull hooks with all clubs have driven me to seek other options. Also looking for something that will keep me out of that damn pit on #3 at Kinderlou!

I can't even get comfortable with a single overlap don't know how well this would work for me. If I'm chipping or pitching unusually will use my putting grip

My propensity for low pull hooks with all clubs have driven me to seek other options. Also looking for something that will keep me out of that damn pit on #3 at Kinderlou![/QUOUE]

I think it was Calvin Peete who started using the double overlap to help with the pulls/hooks. It was one of the old guys and when I heard it helped him I decided to get it a go. You can still hook the ball but at least the hands are taken out of the equation and other swing faults cause the lefts.

My propensity for low pull hooks with all clubs have driven me to seek other options. Also looking for something that will keep me out of that damn pit on #3 at Kinderlou![/QUOUE]

I think it was Calvin Peete who started using the double overlap to help with the pulls/hooks. It was one of the old guys and when I heard it helped him I decided to get it a go. You can still hook the ball but at least the hands are taken out of the equation and other swing faults cause the lefts.

I still was able to hit some nice draws yesterday with an uncomfortable interlocking grip. But the nice thing was that they pretty much only came when I wanted them to. Hope to see the same result from what I think will be a little more comfortable and natural for me double overlap.

Finally got around to trying this grip yesterday. Played 18 and shot my normal score so that is promising. Going to go with it at least a few more rounds to see how it works out once I get more comfortable with it. I had read in a few places that you generally lose a little distance with this grip. I did not see that yesterday. If anything, I think I was squaring the club face up better to the ball and felt like I was making more solid contact on several shots. Did pull a few shots but the big hook that I have been seeing recently did not accompany the hook so that is promising. May have been more of an alignment issue. Did not have a sense that I released my right hand too early and de-lofted and closed the club face like a have a tendency to do quite a few times a round with the Vardon grip.

I have not tried this grip however I do practice 25 to 30 yard pitch shots with my right hand only. I do this from the light ruff. It will let you know right away where you break down. To do it correctly you must finish the shot. Using one grip is hard enough for me.

I have tried this grip some. Did see a little drop off in distance but gain a lot of accuracy. I tend to go to it with my longer clubs (driver to 6 iron) when I am having one of those days where I have no idea where the ball is going. Have had thoughts of using it exclusively but have not had a chance to get enough practice with it to be completely comfortable yet.

I used it when I had pain in my right 3rd finger. It worked quite well with the short clubs, but the longer clubs seemed to lose some power. I think that was because I had trouble releasing the club. Once the pain ceased I reverted back to an interlocking grip.

Back