The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

I know the course is incredible as I've seen the pictures...not that pictures outweigh being there in person, but I bet a lot of the perfection has to do with the 'hospitality factor' eh?

I'll tell you this, after playing golf at The Hideaway, it pretty much ruins most all of the golf courses that you play after that. It's THAT nice. From the time you enter the gates, the people, the facility the courses....as close to perfection as you can get. It really is. Let me put it this way. I played, probably, the nicest public golf course in the state of Colorado this last weekend, it was amazing...but "It's not the Hideaway" is what kept running through my mind. That's not fair to all the nice courses I'm sure I'll get the chance to play over the rest of my life, but it's the truth.
Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get back and play there again someday...with THP or otherwise.

A question for all the past participants: if you could go back and re-live one segment of your experience, what would it be? Pick the fitter's brains more? More questions for Roger Cleveland? More breakfast sliders? Feel free to share what you would love to do again. (And the whole thing doesnt count as an answer ;) )

Tough to pick just one honestly. So many to choose from, some highlights...

I could hit balls at the ECPC all day.
I could listen and watch Roger all day and just soak in all that info.

The driving range at The Hideaway was nicer than some courses I have played.
Comfort Stations (yes this is a highlight)

*wiggle, wiggle, wiggle*
My hole-out from 30 yds to beat Finley on singles day

If I could pick only one...It would have to be CJ and I coming back to win from 2 down after 5 against Finley and Scotty G. We were both out of gas, it was hot and we were tired. We saw the forum was behind us cheering us on and Wardy hinted that we may need our point. We dug deep, talked it out and managed to claw our way back. There is no feeling like that, coming back from the clutches of certain defeat to find victory.

I know the course is incredible as I've seen the pictures...not that pictures outweigh being there in person, but I bet a lot of the perfection has to do with the 'hospitality factor' eh?

Yes, the staff and hospitality is an 11 out of 10, but for pure golf, the courses are almost perfect. As a golfer, its something you dream about getting a chance to play. I'd rather play either of these two courses, than play the TPC Scottsdale again. The only "downside" to the event, was they top dressed the greens that morning with sand and that was disappointing. I think the greens would have been even more ridiculous, had we had clean greens for all of the rounds. Not to take away from the greens, they were still perfect, but the sand slowed them down a bit. Even the Members we played with, were a little upset about that. They wanted us to have the perfect conditions they have 99% of the time, but they were still some of the fastest I've ever putted on.

If I could pick only one...It would have to be CJ and I coming back to win from 2 down after 5 against Finley and Scotty G. We were both out of gas, it was hot and we were tired. We saw the forum was behind us cheering us on and Wardy hinted that we may need our point. We dug deep, talked it out and managed to claw our way back. There is no feeling like that, coming back from the clutches of certain defeat to find victory.

The feeling of being in near tears, heart full of pride, and this is 15 minutes after the match was settled.
I remember walking around, watching Johnny fish, trying to compose myself after that match.
That was extremely powerful, and a feeling I will never forget.

The feeling of being in near tears, heart full of pride, and this is 15 minutes after the match was settled.
I remember walking around, watching Johnny fish, trying to compose myself after that match.
That was extremely powerful, and a feeling I will never forget.

Watching you guys finish out that match, was awesome!

enjoying reading the recaps and memories. everytime i pop in here it makes me want to get in even more.

i remember looking through the pics and thinking how the grass looked like carpet lol. Excited to hear more info on this event along with#TheGauntlet!

Man the recaps of previous event attendies make it that much cooler. Will be cool to see how it shakes out this year.

Can't wait to get to see if I get 'my ticket' punched for this event, just need to bring my 'A' game to the contests while working on my 'Help me now' game.

The first minute you get to the range and the competitive juices start to flow. You look down the line and THPers are hitting balls, Zoo Crew guys are hitting balls. Everybody is smiling and laughing as you are at this incredible facility. The Callaway clubs are all being shown off. Its a special feeling that you soak in and know how freaking special #TheGrandaddy is.
I honestly hope I get to feel/experience that someday if not as a competitor, maybe a spectator!!!

Man the recaps of previous event attendies make it that much cooler. Will be cool to see how it shakes out this year.
These are just snipits really. You want some good reads check out the recap threads. And this year will be better! Freaking unreal!

The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

These are just snipits really. You want some good reads check out the recap threads. And this year will be better! Freaking unreal!

That's what I keep telling myself. Like so many events the little things come back later on and make you smile or reflect on the awesome time you had.

I hope a year from now I'm part of #TheGrandaddy fraternity offering up little nuggets of wisdom or perspective.

Last edited:
This, Savannah, and the Wilson even are the 3 I am looking forward to the most. I think the Savannah event is really the only one I have a shot at. This though, man, what an event.

#TeamRedemption will come out on top..... But there's about 6 months of work to be done!

#TimeWillGoQuick
#EffortGoesALongWay
#StockUpOnFireball
#CantWaitToSeeThatBeltWithTHP

Man reading the thoughts and recaps of those that have been through this give me chills. Such an awesome event and would be such an honor to be a part of #TeamRedemption. Lots of work to be done, and lots of luck needed.

Tough to pick just one honestly. So many to choose from, some highlights...

I could hit balls at the ECPC all day.
I could listen and watch Roger all day and just soak in all that info.

The driving range at The Hideaway was nicer than some courses I have played.
Comfort Stations (yes this is a highlight)

*wiggle, wiggle, wiggle*
My hole-out from 30 yds to beat Finley on singles day

You forgot two key pieces of that comeback......me missing putts on 7 and 8 and me three putting on #9 #yourewelcome

There is no way I would put my name in the hat for this with the state of my health. Plus the fact my golf game sucks! :beat-up: Anyways,,,,, I do think it is one hell of an awesome event and I hope all my friends will put their names in the hat!! Heck I wish my wife would give it a go :bomb:

Oh to be able to show them how thier UT clubs are to be hit...ha. The 15/21/24 will not leave the bag any time soon.

You really are, and very complimentary too.
I'll just skip straight to the antifreeze and cut out the middle man.

Pick me and I'll bring all the glycols that your heart desires.

You forgot two key pieces of that comeback......me missing putts on 7 and 8 and me three putting on #9 #yourewelcome

True but...part of match play is putting pressure on your opponent. You applied pressure early, we responded. We applied the pressure late, you buckled. #thankyou

I got to explain to a friend what exactly I had won by getting a ticket into this thing, and he was blown away by it all. I prefaced that all the details weren't finalized, but that what has happened the past two years has been nothing short of incredible, and he was pretty jealous. After it was all said and done, I had to take a second to think about it all and how truly lucky and blessed I am to get to experience this event. It's going to be in-freaking-credible because it's the granddaddy of them all!

Man reading the thoughts and recaps of those that have been through this give me chills. Such an awesome event and would be such an honor to be a part of #TeamRedemption. Lots of work to be done, and lots of luck needed.

There is so much great stuff here in this thread from the past competitors. The Recap threads like Kevin mentioned are just fantastic. If you make out to any THP official or unofficial event where a #Grandaddy Alumni is attending, take the time to talk with them and hear their stories in person. All these guys love to share their experiences. I love to see the light in their eye when they talk about the #Grandaddy. Truly the #Grandaddy of them all!

Checked out the recap thread today..... As if I didn't want to get in enough already.

But as always, my #1 goal is for THP to bring home the belt. I know whomever chosen will do it! #GottaHaveFaith :)

Back