small grips or larger grips?

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
I just received the new Golf Magazine in the mail. There is an article by Peter Kostis that explains that if your grips are too small, you may wear your glove in the heel of your hand while also not being able to hinge the wrists properly essentially taking the hands out of the shot.
Now just the other week, my "Pro" said that I should go down on my grips by 1/64" because mine were "too big and they are inhibiting your hand action."
So who is correct? I am confused on the subject. Should the grips be larger or smaller? Does it just come down to comfort level? Not too big that they feel really oversized in your hand but also not too small where your fingers wrap around and touch the palm of your hand?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Signed confused and frustrated golfer!

I have always read where your left fingers should touch, but not dig into, the pad under ypur thumb. I recently added two wraps under my standard sized grips on my standard sized butt shafts after going straight standard forever. Reason being was the research I did told me that smaller grips could add excessive hand and wrist action for a greater chance of perpetuating a hook. That is my common miss so I thought it was worth a try. Seems to have helped a little so I will stick with it and possibly try a little bigger in the future.

I have always read where your left fingers should touch, but not dig into, the pad under ypur thumb. I recently added two wraps under my standard sized grips on my standard sized butt shafts after going straight standard forever. Reason being was the research I did told me that smaller grips could add excessive hand and wrist action for a greater chance of perpetuating a hook. That is my common miss so I thought it was worth a try. Seems to have helped a little so I will stick with it and possibly try a little bigger in the future.

this is my understanding as well. i am able to play a standard size grip and sometimes depending on the grip may go an extra wrap

A lot of people don't understand the realtionship of grip core size to butt diameter size also. If you put a .580 core grip on a .600 shaft, you have essentially added 2 wraps to a standard grip (.600 core on a .600 butt shaft). A lot of todays driver and fairway shafts push the .640 / .650 butt diameter size. Putting any standard grip on those shafts (which will be a difficult task in it's own right as I speak from experience) will cause a grip size much larger than standard.

I will try to remember to post a good chart that I found that shows the impact on finished grip size that different core size grips have on different butt size shafts tonight when I get on my computer.

Now just the other week, my "Pro" said that I should go down on my grips by 1/64" because mine were "too big and they are inhibiting your hand action."

My pro told me something similar. I have mid-size grips on my irons and she suggested going to standard size. She thought I might be squeezing the grip to tight. Also, curious if the type of grip (baseball, interlock, overlap) would make a difference. I would think a larger grip would be more comfortable for those with a baseball grip.

Interesting... I am about to regrip and go midsize. I currently play plue 2 wraps andIi notice my glove wears in the area you mentioned and also my irons miss is usually a hook (ball will travel straight until peak tragectory them start slightly hooking on decent).

I played a round last month in Florida with a midsize on my drive and I couldnt miss the fairway... I am excited to try this set up across my irons as well!

My wrists are way too much a part of my swing. Maybe I should strap some pool noodles onto my clubs and see if that helps. :banghead:

Lots of bro-science with this subject. Beware.

The info I've seen from some people I tend to trust is that it's a feel preference, barring extremes.

Back