What does this say about Nike?

I see how biased everything is towards 3 manufacturers. You know, since 16 THPers went out and hit drivers from at least 9 manufacturers all day yesterday and had a thread dedicated to feedback. True, Mizuno wasn't represented, but a lot of other OEMs were, and I didn't see any tweets complaining about not having their drivers.

Ironically the only reason the Mizuno driver was not there, is because it was in the hands of one of our staff writers, that gave it a solid review.

THP group think also tends to show a laughable bias towards the equipment manufactuers that pay the bills around here. Callaway, Bridgestone, Cleveland/Srixon, etc. While companies like Mizuno, TMAG, etc seem to be the perpetual target of naysaying and ridicule.

I have no dog in the Crossfield/Nike fight, but expecting truly honest feedback from the THP machine in the wake of one of these sponsored events is like expecting Rory McIlroy to hold a press conference announcing how bad Nike golf equipment sucks.

Love or hate Mark Crossfield, I gotta admit the guy always tells it how it is. Unfortunately the equipment manufacturers aren't really looking for straight honest feedback when they send out free equipment to relatively public personalities to test.

Not even sure what to say or think. This is a truly biased and misinformed post. I have read many posts that talk good about TMAG and Mizuno. IMO THP provides some of the most unbiased reviews and feedback on all clubs.

It's just too bad a well respected member wasn't around yesterday tweeting how legit the aeroburner was.... Oh wait

THP group think also tends to show a laughable bias towards the equipment manufactuers that pay the bills around here. Callaway, Bridgestone, Cleveland/Srixon, etc. While companies like Mizuno, TMAG, etc seem to be the perpetual target of naysaying and ridicule.

I have no dog in the Crossfield/Nike fight, but expecting truly honest feedback from the THP machine in the wake of one of these sponsored events is like expecting Rory McIlroy to hold a press conference announcing how bad Nike golf equipment sucks.

Love or hate Mark Crossfield, I gotta admit the guy always tells it how it is. Unfortunately the equipment manufacturers aren't really looking for straight honest feedback when they send out free equipment to relatively public personalities to test.

So in a nutshell you think that once someone gets a new product from one of our OEMs that "pay the bills around here", it gets sent out for review with a friendly note from JB that says "You will speak highly of it". On that note why trust any site with any advertisement from an OEM. I see golf.com advertise Nike Golf all the time, should I not read a review by them because they "pay the bills." Golf digest had a Titlest ad, well since they pay the bills there, there ball review is moot. Sounds silly right?

I have nothing to add, except I trust the reviewers to give fair reviews and honest forum feedback. I know that positive and negative will be thought out and very well stated.

I find it funny that he makes his post the day after I post in the live driver thread and the R15 review thread over how well I was doing with the TM driver. I'm kinda upset no one on the board sent me the memo about trashing them.

I find it funny that he makes his post the day after I post in the live driver thread and the R15 review thread over how well I was doing with the TM driver. I'm kinda upset no one on the board sent me the memo about trashing them.
Wasn't that the driver you didn't even want to bother hitting. Haha you hit it really well.

Reviews of equipment here at THP and just about everywhere are typically positive. I think that says more about the quality of modern golf equipment than anything else. In fact THP is one of the first 2 sites I look for specific reviews about anything concerning golf except courses.

I always find it entertaining when people claim biases. yet never seem to provide proof of it.

This coming from someone who is a pretty large Titleist supporter. Just because Titleist hasn't been part of the larger THP events (with sponsorship deals, etc.) doesn't mean their product gets bashed.

Wasn't that the driver you didn't even want to bother hitting. Haha you hit it really well.
And that's just it, I didn't not want to hit it because of anything said on the board I hit it in the bay's at the PGA SS and hit it like crap. Then that bought up our discussion on how bad we all hit on launch monitors and hitting bays.

In the meantime, Crossfield still comes off as a petulant brat most of the time. Whenever he says some throw away "marketing department" comment, I close the browser.

If nothing else its good to see some old members still lurk here with their thanks button ready.

THP machine. Now that's funny.

Ironically the only reason the Mizuno driver was not there, is because it was in the hands of one of our staff writers, that gave it a solid review.

Even more ironic IMO is I've posted how much more I liked the Mizuno driver than the new Callaway offerings yet this started by quoting my post...

Haters gonna hate

The real question is: does anyone actually buy clubs off the recommendation of a single person? I don't care if it's Crossfield, Shields, Hawk, JMan or freaking Tiger Woods himself, one person's opinion of a club isn't going to sway me either way. Who are these people who would buy a club based on one random Internet guy's review?

I like THP reviews because over the years that I've been a member, and through some trial and error, I know which reviewers typically have the same opinions of past clubs that I do. Add in the forums, where people who know you and know what you like and have hit well can give you recommendations on what to try.

But buying a club from the review of one individual on the interwebz? Never.

The real question is: does anyone actually buy clubs off the recommendation of a single person? I don't care if it's Crossfield, Shields, Hawk, JMan or freaking Tiger Woods himself, one person's opinion of a club isn't going to sway me either way. Who are these people who would buy a club based on one random Internet guy's review?

I like THP reviews because over the years that I've been a member, and through some trial and error, I know which reviewers typically have the same opinions of past clubs that I do. Add in the forums, where people who know you and know what you like and have hit well can give you recommendations on what to try.

But buying a club from the review of one individual on the interwebz? Never.
Hawk and Jman are not random people. I know them personally.

But >99% of the people that read their reviews don't know them at all, that's likely the point that Bullitt5339 was trying to make.

Also, I bet there are a bunch of people that will walk into a golf shop and buy a club based off of an Internet review. It's the high-tech version of "my buddy was killing this driver on the course yesterday , I want to buy the same one."

I know, just using them as examples. Maybe I didn't express well enough that the reason I value their reviews over others is because I've been around long enough to know what they prefer and what works for them vs what works for me. I thought I mentioned that.

But having said that.... again. Who would surf the internet, see a review from one person and make their decision based on a single source without knowing that single source?

But >99% of the people that read their reviews don't know them at all, that's likely the point that Bullitt5339 was trying to make.

Also, I bet there are a bunch of people that will walk into a golf shop and buy a club based off of an Internet review. It's the high-tech version of "my buddy was killing this driver on the course yesterday , I want to buy the same one."

The benefit of THP reviews is that you get detailed reviews from multiple types of real people. These are much more useful than a Hot List review to me (Cons: Some testers prefer a driver with blah blah blah). Internet reviews won't cause me to buy something, but they might help me narrow my choices down based on the characteristics I am looking for. And I'm not trusting it to a magazine whose reviews aren't comprehensive or transparent.

I know, just using them as examples. Maybe I didn't express well enough that the reason I value their reviews over others is because I've been around long enough to know what they prefer and what works for them vs what works for me. I thought I mentioned that.

But having said that.... again. Who would surf the internet, see a review from one person and make their decision based on a single source without knowing that single source?
I also think that one of the beauties of THP and the outings. Getting a chance to be around smart people and pick their brains.

With all due respect, I think you're getting bias confused with attention. I don't think anyone can objectively point out any unfair reviews or articles on THP towards any manufacturer, unlike other large golf websites that will remain unnamed, but just recently went on a personal crusade against Callaway. If you don't like that all the reviews here are done with a level of professionalism and find a a way to politely yet objectively point out issues rather than being outwardly and obnoxiously critical...then that's a personal preference.

What I think you can say, and what I think you're confusing, is the amount of attention on these boards certain products have, and yes, they are probably largely influenced by their involvement here. And you know what? Of course they are! Let's call a spade a spade, OEM's aren't active on this website or any other just out of the kindness of their hearts. If their presence here is greater, of course they're just going to inherently generate more talk and discussion than an OEM that doesn't. That's the entire point.

I don't think that has anything, however, to do with the type of feedback they get here...just the volume. I've seen critical discussion of every OEM here frankly as well as adoration threads. As has already been pointed out, TMAG is a pretty big sponsor of THP and has been over the years. And if you're going to say Mizuno get's ridiculed more because they don't "pay the bills" here, then why not the same as Ping? I don't see a large Ping presence here, I'd argue even less than Mizuno, yet for the most part threads are positive. Why is that? Maybe some of the criticism is simply justified? I think the real difference is that even for a internet website, we have less XX-stiff 300+ yard drivers as members (though we have a few), and as a result you see a gravitation over reality versus some internet elitism you might find elsewhere.

p.s. I also like Crossfield reviews, as well as Rick Shiels, and try to find reviews of any clubs I'm looking at buying from them as well too. The more feedback the better

Last edited:

i have bought 3 clubs this year based solely on Jman review without ever hitting them...and i actually like all three clubs alot.

i have never met Jman in person nor had a one on one conversation with him. We have only chatted in replies on a thread.

I take Crossfield, Shiels, etc, for what it is. Entertainment. Golf-related entertainment. You can't like every piece of equipment, you wouldn't be taken seriously. You can't hate every piece either. There has to be a mix. It is all about what works, or what doesn't work for you.

It doesn't mean there is a bias. It doesn't mean you are in a pocket. It means you are truthful, and have your own personal preferences. I am sure everyone plays, or has played clubs that they love, and clubs that they hate. I have at times had clubs in my bag for a very long time that I would love nothing more to throw in the garbage, because they just did not work for me.

A prime example of this is yesterday's live driver testing. Some drivers worked great for some, some not so much, and some not at all.

Constantly harping that THP is in someone's pocket, biased, or generally against an OEM does nothing but calls to light one's own personal agenda/vendetta. Don't like the way THP reviews, or has its users review products? That is your issue.

I appreciate that, although I wish I would have known there was supposed to be bias. Much easier to write that way! #Eyeroll

I wanted Flyknit Roshes, but after a restock on Nike.com, they sold out yet again. However, the shoes were available on Finishline.com. Do you think I should wait for another Restock on Nike or just buy from finish line? This is all Online, not in store, and I'm not sure how long a restock would take. The shoes are Nike Roshe Flyknits.

Probably says Nike has something to hide. We all know more detail goes into making clubs for Tiger, Rory and Michelle Wie but other companies do the same for their pros so in the end all companies aren't perfect.

Back