Need your help - the putter I wanna buy doesn't seem to exist!!

Kebel

From snowbank land :/
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new putter and after trying the new Odyssey Works lineup, I must say I'm really impressed with the feel and the new face insert.

The thing is, what feel better for me as a grip is the SS 3.0 slim but I'd like it to be Tank aswell (counterbalanced) ... However, Tank version of their products rather come with a SS 2.0 midslim which feels OK but not as good as the 3.0.

So, basically I'm looking for a counterbalanced Odyssey Works #7 or 2-ball fang with a SS 3.0 slim for grip... And it doesn't exist (correct me if I'm wrong)..

I'm a bit clueless about what to do (other than choosing one or the other)... You guys have ideas?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new putter and after trying the new Odyssey Works lineup, I must say I'm really impressed with the feel and the new face insert.

The thing is, what feel better for me as a grip is the SS 3.0 slim but I'd like it to be Tank aswell (counterbalanced) ... However, Tank version of their products rather come with a SS 2.0 midslim which feels OK but not as good as the 3.0.

So, basically I'm looking for a counterbalanced Odyssey Works #7 or 2-ball fang with a SS 3.0 slim for grip... And it doesn't exist (correct me if I'm wrong)..

I'm a bit clueless about what to do (other than choosing one or the other)... You guys have ideas?

you can easily buy with the 2.0 grip and replace with 3.0. I am pretty sure many of the online stores will allow you to order with the 3.0.

Just buy the tank and replace it with a 3.0

Change the grip after you buy your putter? It may cost another $25 or so, but it would be worth it to get the putter you want. Just my 2 cents.

I have 20+ putters and have replaced the grip on all but 2 of them. It well worth the $10-$25 extra for the club that you use for 35% or more of your strokes.

Most golfers modify ... the stock grip is usually the first thing to go, especially in a putter.

Thanks everyone for your input. I was under the impression that all Tank models were designed and balanced around the stock grip.. Wouldn't changing the grip ruin the counterbalanced benefits?

Thanks everyone for your input. I was under the impression that all Tank models were designed and balanced around the stock grip.. Wouldn't changing the grip ruin the counterbalanced benefits?

Nope. Odyssey was really smart and put the counterbalance in the shaft as oppose to the grip.

There is a 10g difference in the grip weights. It will change the sw a bit but will still have the CB effect.

As to the Tank, be careful. Some of the heads are so heavy that the feel is numb.

It is a balance. Counterbalancing is great -- I use 65g in my Edel -- to offer an overall heavier weight.

I kept on trying the original Tank when I was looking for a higher MOI putter -- about 4 different times -- after the last time, the numbness of the head got to me.

You can make any putter into a counterbalanced style through different methods. One is Superstroke makes a Plus 3.0 grip that is the same diameter( 1.3") as the slim 3.0 you want. You have to add the countercore weight from them and it screws into the end of the Plus 3.0.

As was already mentioned, you may not like how heavy the heads are on the Tank putters. Test them before you buy.

Hi,

Order with the 3.0 or change it.

You can make any putter into a counterbalanced style through different methods. One is Superstroke makes a Plus 3.0 grip that is the same diameter( 1.3") as the slim 3.0 you want. You have to add the countercore weight from them and it screws into the end of the Plus 3.0.

As was already mentioned, you may not like how heavy the heads are on the Tank putters. Test them before you buy.

Thanks a lot for your advice, I somehow completely missed their + line and countercore.

Seems like the way to go would be #7 non Tank (lighter head) and change the grip to SS+ 3.0 and add desired counterweight.

That setup would give me 145g total grip weight, which is 15g more than regular Tank counterbalanced... In your experience, is there a point where there is too much weight on grip? I'm fairly new to putter modding but 145g seems a lot..

Back