Stock/Aftermarket Shaft

TTime

Reaction score
Does anyone know the differences(if any) between an aftermarket driver shaft and the stock version of it? I want to put the Matrix MFS Red Tie in a backup driver. At least for the weight I'd probably have to go with the aftermarket version which is $250 versus the stock Cobra F6 Red Tie which is $90. If anyone is playing any of the Matrix MFS shafts please post about them!

Does anyone know the differences(if any) between an aftermarket driver shaft and the stock version of it? I want to put the Matrix MFS Red Tie in a backup driver. At least for the weight I'd probably have to go with the aftermarket version which is $250 versus the stock Cobra F6 Red Tie which is $90. If anyone is playing any of the Matrix MFS shafts please post about them!

It depends on the company. In the case of the Cobra F6, according to both companies the differences are very small.

Nice Nice

I don't have any facts but it seems to me that in the past there were significant differences but now there are little to none. Just my personal observation.

Get fit, then price shouldn't matter, as you will have the best shaft for your swing.

As far as MFS, I currently play the ozik mfs 70m4 black tie and I like it a lot. It is relatively low launch and low spinning, yet not too firm for someone with 100ish SS and a slightly aggressive motion. I would say that it is comparable, yet a little more pliable than the aldila rogue i/o, and slightly stiffer than the aldila tour green IMO

I've often wondered about made for versus real deal shafts.

The OEM is likely going to keep the differences under wraps as much as possible.

If there is not much difference then it hurts the image and perceived quality and performance advantage of the exotic shaft. Since the made for can be had relatively cheaply via pulls.

On the other hand you have a Shaft manuf already producing a real deal shaft. The design, R&D costs, M&E is already setup. Then an OEM contacts them and wants a variation of that shaft in their new club. Change = cost so it almost behooves them to just slap a different coat of paint on it, mass produce it and recoup the original setup costs. Even at a lower margin, higher volume will make up for that.

I've often found the made for has a livlier tip to help the avg Joe golfer launch the ball. Could it be the OEM is just not tipping it as much as the real deal ?

The Made-For-Cobra Matrix shafts that I have seem slightly more tip soft with slightly more bend in the midsection than their "real-deal" counterparts. Not much of a difference to affect performance, but I can feel it. Feels like the "made-for" has a smoother bend profile. It could be placebo, too.

Some OEMs are more forthcoming than others when it comes to real-deal vs made-for information.

I don't have any facts but it seems to me that in the past there were significant differences but now there are little to none. Just my personal observation.

Correct.

Back