TIGolfer1996

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay so I'm at a crossroads. I am an avid gamer of Srixon Q Star and Z Star golf balls, love the spin. But I want to try a new type of ball. I've tried the e6, Callaway SuperSoft, TaylorMade Project a, I'm looking for a new premium and mid-tier golf ball. Really leaning toward the B330-RX or RXS and the ProV1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not the E5 or Chrome Soft? Both are relatively low compression urethane covered balls. The E5 is under $25 a dozen.

Have to agree with blu....E5 or Chrome Soft. Both are great balls, and awesome value.

The 330-RX will be about the same as your z star. Fg tour from wilson is a good option and e5

Everybody understands that all urethane covered balls spin about the same on iron and partial swing shots, right?

Everybody understands that all urethane covered balls spin about the same on iron and partial swing shots, right?

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried all of those balls. I play chrome soft when its cooler and or the greens are hard. Pro v1 v1x are my scoring balls. Usually play the v1x when it is windy.

Why not the E5 or Chrome Soft? Both are relatively low compression urethane covered balls. The E5 is under $25 a dozen.

The e5 has higher compression than that of the RX and Chrome Soft.
I would argue the 2nd part of this while the urethane is similar, compression can make a difference here.

In reality, its not just urethane covered, its all balls on full swing shots (iron shots), and technique will play the biggest factor.

The e5 has higher compression than that of the RX and Chrome Soft.
I would argue the 2nd part of this while the urethane is similar, compression can make a difference here.

In reality, its not just urethane covered, its all balls on full swing shots (iron shots), and technique will play the biggest factor.

Are you saying that pretty much all balls will spin roughly the same with say an 7 iron or am I misunderstanding?

Are you saying that pretty much all balls will spin roughly the same with say an 7 iron or am I misunderstanding?
With a urethane cover, with an identical lie, with identical contact, yes, they will spin the same.

With a urethane cover, with an identical lie, with identical contact, yes, they will spin the same.

Wasn't he saying both urethane and non urethane? Essentially all balls?

Wasn't he saying both urethane and non urethane? Essentially all balls?
Technique and lie play a bigger role in spin than cover. But the cover matters.

Pro V1x and FG Tour are the best balls I have played all year.

Which shows how interesting golf balls are for people, those are two POLAR different compression golf balls.

And both a lot of fun.

Which shows how interesting golf balls are for people, those are two POLAR different compression golf balls.

And both a lot of fun.
They might he different compression, but they both perform very similar for me.

B330-RX and Z Star play very similar to me.

TM tour preferred and tour preferred x are a great ball. These are a very close second to the proves in my opinion

TM tour preferred and tour preferred x are a great ball. These are a very close second to the proves in my opinion
You are not wrong. Very good offerings.

And both a lot of fun.

Crap, I'm loath to wade into a technical discussion around here, but the ratings chart that I've used in the past have listed the ProV1x at a higher compression than the FG Tour, but nothing amazingly different, unless the chart or my understanding are way off.

http://www.golfballselector.com/pdf/GBS_CompressionHardness_Test_070914_v11.14.pdf

You can also get them pretty cheap right now

Technique and lie play a bigger role in spin than cover. But the cover matters.

I'm sure my technique has improved significantly since I last played a surlyn covered ball. I do remember being frustrated not being able to hold a green. Most urethane covered balls I can stop within a couple feet with anything 6i and under in good conditions. I may have to revisit testing I'm curious now.

If I'm honest with myself I don't think it matters what ball I use as long as its urethane.
V1x, Chrome Soft, e5, XV, FG Tour...they are all "so different" yet it wouldn't change the number on the card one iota.

I'm sure my technique has improved significantly since I last played a surlyn covered ball. I do remember being frustrated not being able to hold a green. Most urethane covered balls I can stop within a couple feet with anything 6i and under in good conditions. I may have to revisit testing I'm curious now.
Bridgestone E5. Start there. I love that ball. At $25 a dozen, you can afford to lose them.

Bridgestone E5. Start there. I love that ball. At $25 a dozen, you can afford to lose them.

I was meaning I need to test a surlyn ball again to see if I can hold it better now than I used to. I've found I can stop any urethane ball pretty quickly. My curiosity lies in how much is technique and how much is the ball.

That said I have tried a ton of different urethane offerings, but I haven't tried the E5. I was turned off by the alignment line but I really should try them at some point.

Back