Titleist 915 D3 VS Taylor Made R15 ... which one do you like?

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Which one to get? Hmmm ... I have been a trusted Titleist loyalist all my life. But I went into Golfsmith the other day to hit the 915 and just for S*&*s and giggles, I hit the TM R15 ... both at the normal setting. And I was amazed! Wow ... Boom ... Is all I can say! The ball really exploded off the face of the R15! Ball speed was higher (138 vs 143) ... smash factor higher ... spin rate lower and a nice boring trajectory. Maybe I was warmed up after hitting the 915 for about 30 minutes, but the first swing with the TM went 288 yards! I rarely hit it that far anymore ... I am older and the bones crack a bit! :) I consistently hit it over 275-280. Really not that much further than the 915 but the overall numbers were better all around. I almost walked out with it that night ... but I just couldn't go against Titleist for some reason.
My question is ... has anyone hit these two and compared them? If so, did you get the same impression that I did? Are you a definite loyalist to a certain company? If so, which one and why?

To be continued ... I will be getting a raise next month and my first purchase will be one or the other. I will let you know which one I decide on.
I would like to see the ball flight outside under normal conditions and not in a simulator though.

Any thoughts??

I bought the 915 D3 because the overall performance. The distance wasn't anything that stood out compared to other drivers but the dispersion was the key factor why I chose the 915. R15 was great too but reminded me a lot of the SLDR.
I'd say go for whatever suits you best. I don't think you can't go wrong with either.

and just like Orange Hog, I'd try the Alpha 815. That driver was my 2nd choice. There are so many great drivers out right now, it's sure fun to try them all!

R15 performed well for me but would not buy it for full retail. I prefer the D2 head over the d3.

Were you trying the TM r15 430?

R15 when hit well offered larger carry distances. The problem was off centre hits. The 915 was more consistent across the face for me.

I hit my friends 915 the other day but not sure if it was the D2 or D3. I liked the sound and feel of the club. The tee shot I hit with my Alpha 815 and his 915 were within 2 yards or each other. I personally am not a fan of TM drivers so I guess I would go with the 915. If I had not gotten the Alpha 815 I would be hitting the 915

Pretty different beasts there. You won't find the forgiveness in the R15 in terms of speed retention on misses that you will the 915. But if you're a center face kinda guy every time, the TM could be lethal as its a bomber there.

R15 performed well for me but would not buy it for full retail. I prefer the D2 head over the d3.

Were you trying the TM r15 430?

No ... the R15 460, black crown

I though the 915D3 was a turd so I pick R15 by default.

Pretty different beasts there. You won't find the forgiveness in the R15 in terms of speed retention on misses that you will the 915. But if you're a center face kinda guy every time, the TM could be lethal as its a bomber there.

In my opinion the D3 and R15 shared similar numbers for me on off center. FWIW, neither were all that impressive, but neither are really marketed that way either.

All in all ... I think it's mainly in the shaft TBH. If the shaft is correct for your swing, any head will do. As long as the aesthetics are to your liking.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

In my opinion the D3 and R15 shared similar numbers for me on off center. FWIW, neither were all that impressive, but neither are really marketed that way either.

Whoopsie, just saw the D3. I've only hit the D2.

True though, each of those are aimed at middle of the face folks. Interesting to know the numbers were that close though, I shall avoid for my mortal swing LOL!

All in all ... I think it's mainly in the shaft TBH. If the shaft is correct for your swing, any head will do. As long as the aesthetics are to your liking.

I do not agree with this at all FWIW. Not all heads fit all swings.

Good luck finding what works though, be sure to let us know how it ends up!

FWIW, I could not disagree with this more, but that is for another thread.

I do not agree they work as a pair for me some shafts work great in one head but not in others so shafts for me change depending on the head

I'm a Titleist loyalist but that doesn't stop me from trying all the new clubs that come out. I actually liked the 915 better. you might want to try the different stock shaft options in the 915 if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say 288 from 143 ball speed is pretty awesome. I have hit both and neither fits me best. I wanted to love both the 915 D2 and D3 but I didn't like either. I'm contemplating between the Nike Flex and both Alpha 815s. I had hoped to love the SLDR and it's great on good swings but I don't always put a good swing on it :(

I don't want to pile on, but I disagree with this statement. I hit every driver I tested with the same Rogue shaft and saw very different numbers for all of them. Even with previous drivers, if I used the same shaft in different heads the results could be very very different.

I though the 915D3 was a turd so I pick R15 by default.

I wouldn't call it a turd, but the R15 when tuned properly and paired with the right shaft was the winner for me. Lowest spin and a lot more forgiveness than I saw with the SLDR. When I moved both weights to the outside it basically makes the club miss free for me. Really can't say anything bad about the driver to be honest with you. And this is coming from a person who kind of deuced all over the R15 when it was released.

I would pick the 915 d3 over the R15 mainly because the next model will be called 17 instead of 16.. It gives a sense of comfort knowing that what I have bought will be "good" for 2 seasons.. Even though I might change sooner than that..

I would pick the 915 d3 over the R15 mainly because the next model will be called 17 instead of 16.. It gives a sense of comfort knowing that what I have bought will be "good" for 2 seasons.. Even though I might change sooner than that..
I love the titleist 2yr release pattern... Seems like some companies throw new lines out every 6-8 months

I hated the way the D3 sounded , liked the R15 and was going to order one until I hit the Alpha 815....

Back