Working on swing plane

Gunner

MVP
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 USGA
Freddie, I've been plagued by huge blocks to the right and snap hooks. Path from too far inside to out is the likely culprit when timing is late I block, timing early it's pull hooked. Perfect world was a big high draw but it started well right of the target line. The video below is me trying to get the takeaway more outside and trying not to dip below the plane where I can get stuck on the downswing. Lemme know what other potential problems you see, but don't riddle me with too much. My golf mind is fragile at the moment.

https://vimeo.com/187587017

early head movement (watching the clubhead?), way inside at the top and likely well past parallel? (hard to tell for sure from the ground angle)

over the top

it seems like you're standing a little vertical and too close to the ball? i'm no swing expert but that whole swing looks uncomfortable to me, like you're fighting the clubhead all the way to impact

early head movement (watching the clubhead?), way inside at the top and likely well past parallel? (hard to tell for sure from the ground angle)

over the top

it seems like you're standing a little vertical and too close to the ball? i'm no swing expert but that whole swing looks uncomfortable to me, like you're fighting the clubhead all the way to impact

Past parallel = yes. I worked on that last year but it's clearly gotten too long. Head swivel is always prevalent due to neck issues so that's not going to change much. Obviously there's less of it when I shorten the backswing. Head does lower and move towards the ball not sure how to fix. Posture at address feels very comfortable slight knee flex and bending at waist. Butt of the club points and my belt buckle and my hands hang just outside my toes. I do move my hips towards the ball during the downswing. This is all happening at a high rate of speed. On trackman this past Weds I was swinging ~ 123-125mph.

c0e79e1a969f633432ec31ab8d545b5a.png

Take a look at your head position at the top of your back swing. You have pulled it way out of position. This makes your swing more of a timing swing because now you have to locate the ball on the down swing. It all happens so fast that you may not notice it but it's affecting your swing

0e12099ba96ccf44af474ec8cec6e262.png

This is really where you should be in your back swing. Unfortunately this is your down swing. Let's try to work on getting here. Also let's keep some flex in that right leg.

e5224438e826fdd285444583f803e661.png

You're actually leaning into your left side in this shot. This means you are out in front of the ball. By the time the club reaches impact you'll be at a negative angle of attack and moving left. This means low pushes or right to right shot shapes.

Make sure you are working behind the ball prior to impact. Try not to break the imaginary plane that is even with the ball. You can place a directional stick in the ground just in from of your left leg. If you hit this with your hip on the down swing, you're out in front. Try to turn behind the stick.

a3cfb5fda4f63c67eb0c40084d320ea5.png

Not bad impact position except for the loss of spin angle.we want to try to main the forward tilt we had at address by allowing the hips to clear. So try to keep that spin angle as you work behind the ball and allow the left hip to rotate and clear.

I have nothing to add here other than Freddie I am absolutely amazed at what you can see by just one swing and a little video. Good stuff!

Working on swing plane

Thanks Freddie. What is a drill to help me feel like I'm clearing my hips better and stop humping the shaft in the downswing?

From a physiological standpoint. My lower back and hamstrings are very tight. I know that contributes to this problem as well. I'm very conscious to stretch quite a bit before playing or going to the range. However this might be something that I need to compensate for in someway but I'm not sure how.

I can get that backswing shortened up, but I'm not giving myself enough room to deliver the club when I slide closer to the ball in the downswing. I would think I would be right where I need to be on the shaft plane if I had more room for the club coming into the ball.

Last edited:
Ever try putting a driveway marker through your front belt loops Gunner? Cut one in half for feasibility, you just want it to maybe have a few inches on each side of your front loops.

Do it really slow at first cause you'll see what happens to you if you jump at it. It's not pleasant feeling.

Great feedback Freddie. Cant wait to see how you tame or control that swing Gunner. With that Swing speed and few adjustments you potential is off the charts man. Good luck.

On trackman this past Weds I was swinging ~ 123-125mph.

This was one of the things I remember from Ambition and i'm not sure if you even noticed. You were swinging on the range and just ripping it as Jose walked by. It stopped him in his tracks and he called out to Mike Yagley saying, "We got some swing speed here". That was when he stopped for the 1st time and started giving you instruction.

To me it was like you see in the movies where some unknown walk-on to a sports team just does something special and out of the ordinary and gets their immediate attention and they go scrambling for clipboards and stop watches. It was awesome!

Last edited:
Gunner I like to drive the right knee down into the ball on the down swing. This motion will clear the left hip as you drive that knee.

Another drill I use is at set up I push my knees out away from each other. Maintain this position through the back swing. On the down swing the left knee straightens and pull back as the right knee drives down toward the ball. Try this at half and 3/4 speed before jumping into full swing.

Gunner I like to drive the right knee down into the ball on the down swing. This motion will clear the left hip as you drive that knee.

Another drill I use is at set up I push my knees out away from each other. Maintain this position through the back swing. On the down swing the left knee straightens and pull back as the right knee drives down toward the ball. Try this at half and 3/4 speed before jumping into full swing.

Thanks Freddie I'll give those a shot! I know I'm close here, just need to move the needle a little bit in the way of consistency.

Back