The Wheels Are In Motion! Indoor Golf/Sports Facility

Hire a trainer that focuses on golf specific regimens? That'd be really cool.

What seems to be the common trend here is supplemental revenue streams which I agree with. Bars make big money (ever considered their cost to a keg of beer vs what we pay?), food makes decent money, etc etc.

That was my thought with the trainer. Their are a lot of people that would be all aboard for doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to know more about the simulator setup you're working with, as 6K is low enough that a few local friends might be interested in pursuing.

That said, it must be extremely accurate and better than anything I've seen at that number -- But it will certainly make my winters more entertaining.

This is something I am really interested in as well. I have done a lot of research on this previously and for obvious reasons have worked with a lot of the simulator companies and I can't seem to find anything commercially viable in that price range.

This is something I am really interested in as well. I have done a lot of research on this previously and for obvious reasons have worked with a lot of the simulator companies and I can't seem to find anything commercially viable in that price range.

SkyTrak with TGC would probably be the cheapest option

The cheapest, maybe -- But hardly viable.

Well in your case for friends it might work. As long as you guys hit the same way. lol

SkyTrak with TGC would probably be the cheapest option

Yes, definitely cost affordable, but that is not a commercial simulator. Do you think it could be used in a simulator type of establishment?

Yes, definitely cost affordable, but that is not a commercial simulator. Do you think it could be used in a simulator type of establishment?

No not at all because of having to switch sides all the time

What about the ProTee system?

No not at all because of having to switch sides all the time

What about the ProTee system?

Less, but even a TurnKey system from ProTee is going to be close to $20k + if you want it to be commercial and they are using the Ernest systems.

Well in your case for friends it might work. As long as you guys hit the same way. lol

It's been discussed in a recreational setting, for sure -- But having a unit on hand, I've seen plenty of interesting results.

Bars make big money (ever considered their cost to a keg of beer vs what we pay?), food makes decent money, etc etc.

given the number of patrons we are talking about, i have concerns about this as well. there are variable costs for the staff members you have to keep around to offer the service as well as storage and spoilage costs. and there are upfront one-time fixed costs for the food service buildout, bar buildout, impact fees/licensure, and stemware/flatware. i 100% agree with you that a revenue stream like this is crucial to keep a place like this afloat, but will the numbers ever bear it out?

given the number of patrons we are talking about, i have concerns about this as well. there are variable costs for the staff members you have to keep around to offer the service as well as storage and spoilage costs. and there are upfront one-time fixed costs for the food service buildout, bar buildout, impact fees/licensure, and stemware/flatware. i 100% agree with you that a revenue stream like this is crucial to keep a place like this afloat, but will the numbers ever bear it out?

I think there would be a couple cool ways of making it enjoyable...

Add in some pool tables (which will add to the food/beverage, and then add in a quality putting green with bar tops around it. I would have a blast going to a local establishment with the boys and drinking while putting during the winter months.

If you want to talk to a guy who did what you are considering, PM me and I will see if he'd be willing to talk with you. He started a four bay unit in the Albany-Saratoga region in upstate NY and was there all day every day. He moved out of the area because his wife got an unbeatable offer, so it's difficult to say whether he would be in it long term.

I'm going to a new place tonight for an indoor league. That place charges $30/hr per bay, and $25 for a 2.5 hour league. If they can get four in a bay, that's $40/hr per bay.

Was just at this place last night for the first night of sim league.

http://nexgengolfcenter.com/

New venue, since the place we used to go to closed its doors. Played with the owner's dad, and he told me he is part of a summer league that just changes its venue to the indoors when the weather turns bad. He claims every Saturday in the winter, his league occupies all six bays from 8 to 4.

A few thoughts:

The old place used SportsCoach, which I am told could be adapted for tennis, baseball, etc. Feedback provided after every swing was quite good, but the graphics were kind of like an older version of Tiger Woods Golf.

The nee place uses HD Golf. Much better graphics and there are synthetic rough and sand pads to hit from, but the feedback after each swing is more sparse. In practice mode, it's all there.

The lesson bay(s) look to be quite advanced, from the web site

To shave costs and generate revenue:

1. Partner with a teaching pro whose course does not have a simulator/indoor launch monitor. Take a piece of what (s)he brings in. Traffic builder and keeps the pro busy in the winter. (NextGen's owner is a teaching pro.)
  2. Partner with local - as in closest - restaurants and take a piece of all the business you bring them. Saves upfront costs and labor until you get rolling/
  3. Put feelers out to local courses telling them their leagues can now go year-round. Offer early adopters a discount to build traffic and revenue.
  4. You definitely want to serve beer/wine and possibly liquor. Good revenue stream.

I think the 45minute commute thing is only relative. What I mean is that I suppose it depends what one is use to in where they live their daily lives. For people who live and work and play in areas where doing so requires a lot of travel time, 45minutes may be considered nothing. Whether that's the two extremes of a big city area where it may take a lot of time to cover short distances or a very spread and sparse country area where it covers long distances but still the same time. In both those places travel time of 45minutes may not only be a norm but may even be considered easy and no big deal. So that one is only relative.

You simply need enough people who live and play where 45min commute is no big deal. Is that the case in the area mentioned? But still even if it is you need enough who play golf and also like to, have need to, desire to use sims and indoor practice facility. And that in itself is the biggest unknown here isn't it? Imo it would be wise to have plans for revenue sources from things other than golf. Or at least a back up plan anyway. Perhaps if its in a good spot even simply being able to know you can rent/lease the land and/or structure if the golf idea itself doesn't work out.
It may be relative but a 45 minute commute around Kansas City is a long drive.

I'm just thinking out loud here off the top of my head but it seems like "sports bar that happens to have a golf sim" may be more viable than "golf sim that has a small bar."

I hear ya, and I suppose that's then a negative in that area. But on another note I am jealous because in the northeast big city metro area its common to not even bat an eye at a 45min drive...lol. Its all what one is use to doing.

I realize I'm really late weighing in here WTW, and the sim idea and your driving range plan may already be put to bed. On the off chance they aren't, I wanted to share some info on something that is likely more similar to what you'd do in rural MO versus some of the uber-nice setups some have shared here.

https://www.facebook.com/Swing-Right-Golf-151580774875221/ Is a family owned range, sim, mini golf establishment just south of Springfield MO. When the current owners bought it about 6 years ago it already had both the "Full Swing Golf INC" simulators presently in use, 7 heated, lighted outdoor hitting bays, a 'meh mini golf course, ragtag short game area, and club building equipment. They work hard and continually poor $$$ in making improvements. There are now 7 more outdoor bays (lighted not heated), a large bunker that you can practice not only green side shots but also fairway bunker shots to all the range targets (in one of the overhead drone pics on that facebook feed I can be seen trying to bounce 6 irons off the old car 160 out from the trap). They professionally upgraded the mini golf course with amazing turf and are trying to get the professional putt-putt tour to hold an event there. So much new signage, TV/Radio adds and events. Inclusion on our four state golf package course card etc... So much else too, but not to bog this down.

They sit about 1/4 mile off one of the busiest traffic arteries in this 500K metro area, a road that sees about 15K cars/daily. I know of three pros that teach occassionally from swing right (on the sims and the range). I don't know if they have a $$$ arrangement to do so? One thing going is that it's often busy at swing right and there are rare times I even have to wait for one of the 14 stalls to open up to hit. Sometimes it's dead too. That said, the owners aren't cashing any checks, only paying the younger help. Instead they are reinvesting their 'profits' into the endeavor to attempt grow it into something more profitable. I'm a crazy range rat and am certain I'm their most loyal customer. I probably spend about $125/mo, but I'm not a sim fan. Those are very busy in the winter with established leagues etc... but rarely see other action.
Something I wanted to offer if this is something you're still debating. You probably aren't all that far away. So I'll invite you to come down and check out swing-right. I've already greased the wheels with the owner/manager and he's open to you interviewing him at any convenient time (for you). He has a lot of first hand experience insight, ideas, and advice with a similar endeavor in a somewhat similar setting. Wouldn't be a horrible idea to pick his brain. Of course we can also squeeze in some real golf too if you'd like.

Last edited:
Very kind of you Daddio

Depends where you live. I drive 45 minutes to come play your course

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Was just at this place last night for the first night of sim league.

http://nexgengolfcenter.com/

New venue, since the place we used to go to closed its doors. Played with the owner's dad, and he told me he is part of a summer league that just changes its venue to the indoors when the weather turns bad. He claims every Saturday in the winter, his league occupies all six bays from 8 to 4.

A few thoughts:

The old place used SportsCoach, which I am told could be adapted for tennis, baseball, etc. Feedback provided after every swing was quite good, but the graphics were kind of like an older version of Tiger Woods Golf.

The nee place uses HD Golf. Much better graphics and there are synthetic rough and sand pads to hit from, but the feedback after each swing is more sparse. In practice mode, it's all there.

The lesson bay(s) look to be quite advanced, from the web site

To shave costs and generate revenue:

1. Partner with a teaching pro whose course does not have a simulator/indoor launch monitor. Take a piece of what (s)he brings in. Traffic builder and keeps the pro busy in the winter. (NextGen's owner is a teaching pro.)
  2. Partner with local - as in closest - restaurants and take a piece of all the business you bring them. Saves upfront costs and labor until you get rolling/
  3. Put feelers out to local courses telling them their leagues can now go year-round. Offer early adopters a discount to build traffic and revenue.
  4. You definitely want to serve beer/wine and possibly liquor. Good revenue stream.
Pairing with a PGA pro would be a great i know a couple for sure that would love to be able to give lessons year around. I have had one rent the sim in my office during the winter.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back