JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
More colors and finishes are available than ever before. Do you think that is just a matter of offering choices? Or do you think that there is some science to certain colors working better? Previously a company said that white had a calming effect, etc. What are your thoughts?

I don't think there is any science or advantage towards one color or another personally. I think it's just fun to have something different than everyone else out there really. I could be wrong though?

i think different colors can affect ones alignment although most of todays offerings are just aesthetics.

Science benefit...no
Mental for people...yes

Players have different tastes in clubs. Some like more color, some don't. Science? Maybe. I think it is more based on personality.

Personality = Science........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I think there's validation on the matte finish or darker colours to combat glare. Funny, the putter I wanted so terribly for the longest time was brutal on glare thanks to a glossy finish.

Outside of that, I think it's user preference.

I think it's another way people can personalize their club, there might be something in glare reducing finishes to help with the sun, but otherwise I think it's all personal preference.

I really don't care. My gamer right now has a black finish and I like it. Previously all of mine were the standard satin finish.

I prefer a darker finish to limit glare. Does that make me putt better? I'd go with no. Comparing two identical putters in two different finishes with a THPer recently also showed that the dark putter had a more muted sound at impact when compared to its satin counterpart. Which I also prefer.

I believe color will affect aim, as well as head shape, position of hosel, and sightlines. I would do a laser test with any putter to make certain the face is pointing at your target, or use a simple tool like the SeeMore Triangulator.

I think there is some science to it. I don't see a company just throwing a colour on it in hopes of sales.

I believe color will affect aim, as well as head shape, position of hosel, and sightlines. I would do a laser test with any putter to make certain the face is pointing at your target, or use a simple tool like the SeeMore Triangulator.

Can you expand? I understand head shape and physical design properties. How does color impact aim?

Can you expand? I understand head shape and physical design properties. How does color impact aim?

Do you consider the versa colour scheme design properties or just a paint job. I think that one helped with aim.

Do you consider the versa colour scheme design properties or just a paint job. I think that one helped with aim.

Its an alignment aid for the most part. That is a good example though. My question is how a different color affects alignment? Meaning a white putter vs a black putter or a red putter vs a stainless putter. I guess I would agree, like the two ball working as a way to help, but to me that is more like alignment as well. But then again, that goes back to alignment lines.

Science benefit...no
Mental for people...yes

100% agree with this!

You mentioned that a company said white has a calming effect. Its the opposite for me as I hate white clubs, I prefer a dark grey.

There's probably a certain level of comfort to people for a certain color. Me personally I prefer black putters like all my Metal-X Milled putters but I can also do a silver. I don't think I would buy a white, red, or blue putter at all.

I'm willing to play anything - I've played a black putter, a red putter, and a satin finish.

I took one putt with Bcape's wife's putter and drained a 20 footer, and that was orange, so maybe that's where I should be looking.

Science benefit...no
Mental for people...yes
This. Just like every other club I think it comes down to personal preference and what makes each person comfortable.

It's more personal preference. I feel like the putter is the one club people try and develop an emotional response to.

i really think it's all mental. I really don't see how a color can help you aim better unless it's designed in a way that helips you line up better.

I agree with what most others have said in this thread; color is really personal preference and doesn't impact alignment. If you were to expand to color and style of alignment aids, that is possibly a different story.

Back