What rules do you ignore?

BluesManDan

Reaction score
Handicap
I try to follow the rules, but there are a couple i think are inconsequential... I don't always use the same kind of ball for the whole of a given round, and I putt with the pin in sometimes (I play alone a lot, and can't tend the pin for myself!) What about you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breakfast ball off the first tee if I didn't warm up.

Free drop / relief from roots and rocks.

Leave the pin in on putts.

Yeah my course doesn't have a range so I'll hit a few off the first tee to warm up, too.

Since I just spent $700 on clubs. I'll move my ball to some grass if I'm dirt and there's rocks or pebbles that may scratch my club and a breaky ball on the first.

Everything is a lateral drop. #paceOfPlay.

Same but I'll only leave pin in if I'm playing alone.

Same here. In addition at this time of year in the Northeast, if I hit one in or relatively close to the fairway, I don't take a p-stroke if I can't find it because of the leaves.

All of them.

Pin on putts is my worst offender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At my home course (lovingly referred to as The Poor Man's Country Club) the fairways are not great this time of year. If I hit a good shot into the fairway and end up with a sh!t lie on hard pan dirt I'll find some grass and improve the lie.

Casual round the only rule I don't follow is the rock and root rule. As Maddog says we don't have a tour van in the parking lot ready to repair damaged clubs, and I'm not breaking a wrist, outside of that I play by the rules the best I can.

-Foot wedge for roots and rocks. Wrecking clubs or wrists are not worth it
-No penalty for drops for balls that should be found but can't because of leaves. As long as a couple of the other guys in the group are in agreement the ball was an easily "findable" shot.
-My regular group plays one mulligan per round for complete Duffs off a tee shot..... but you are open game to be made fun of LOL

With all this said, none of the guys I play with (myself included) keeps track of handicap. I have an app I record scores that calculates one, but we don't play tourneys so we don't care.

I don't always use the same kind of ball for the whole of a given round

Just so you are aware, that isn't a rule. it is a condition of play that is added at the professional level. It is kind of like lift/clean/place when conditions warrant.

As for rules I don't follow: Pin when playing alone and occasionally I will take a breakfast ball. Other than that I follow the rules.

counting every stroke is a must, including penalties no matter what. I have learned that cheating only hurts me when I enter tournaments cause my handicap would be falsely recorded. I used to bump the ball in the fairway, but recently stopped. The rule I used to break all the time was in lateral hazards, dropping the ball in parallel to where the ball landed in the hazard vs where it crossed.

I think I'm on board with pretty much everything everyone has said, especially no PS for balls that should be findable.

I've also played shots from inside the OB stakes if playable.

Also will treat OB like a lateral hazard for pace of play.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I follow most of them, but the one I skirt the most is the real agitating one about putting down ALL the strokes on a hole. I just put down the strokes I want to remember and forget the others.

1) if I get up to an errant drive I thought I could find (didn't hit a provisional), and it is lost/Ob. I'll drop lateral and take the stroke. Going back to the tee on a public course is not going to work.
2) if my ball is on gravel, roots or other damage inducing surface, I take a ground under repair drop. Since I don't play for prize money, I'm not risking the cost of a ruined club.
3) if my shot was good and a fairway lie, but lost because of fallen leaves, I'm don't take a penalty stroke.

I of of course tell anyone I'm playing with these are the liberties I take. Everyone I've played with agrees and takes the same....

I don't play the lost ball rule if my ball plugs in the soggy NW grass and I was confident it was in play. I have never seen anyone return to a tee box to play their third shot if there ball ends up being lost in a plug.

Some call it being old fashioned or a fuddy duddy but I follow every single rule when playing alone or not in normal group. When I play in group I go with their rules which is 2 off the 1st tee and anything in leather is good. Were playing for decent $ so im not gonna putt out if I don't have to

1) If my ball or a fellow players ball is in an area that would appropriately be marked as GUR in a tournament situation, it is a free drop away from the condition.
2) If the course is pristine or near it, I play it down all the way. If not so well groomed, or not mowed and a bit hairy, it is winter rules - fairway L/C/P.
3) My course does not drain very well after the bigger rains, especially in cool seasons - if some of the holes or areas are a bit on the soft/mucky side, my groups will usually L/C/P tree-line to tree-line.

When I play alone I putt with the pin in unless I have to walk right past the hole to get to my first putt.
I usually don't warm up and might take a breakfast ball or two early on.
Unless I think I might hurt myself I normally play shots even if there are some pebbles/rocks. I bought my clubs to golf with and have never resold or traded them in so those minor nicks don't really bug me.
Sometimes I'll take free relief if I hit into an area that's normally maintained but for whatever reason isn't at that time. ie there is a 1000 sq ft low spot that encompasses 2/3 of the width of the fairway right in the typical landing area of a par 4 I play frequently. It's fairway if we haven't had much rain, but a muddy puddle with a few inches of water and a flock of ducks whenever we get decent rain. It can often take 2-3 weeks for it to dry out enough to mow.

We play OB as a lateral hazard. Lost balls that should be findable still incur a penalty but we drop where the group agrees the ball should have been. No other liberties, mulligans or breakfast balls.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pin in the hole on putts (usually play as a single is probably the biggest, lateral hazards. I am pretty open to whatever people want to do when I play.

During casual rounds, I don't get that specific on a drop (if I am on a cart path I am just going to pick it up and drop it at the closest place, not getting a club out and all that jazz).

Won't hit off of roots/rocks, but after watching War Eagle jack up his wrist in the desert I might not even do that in a tournament round. I will also use slope on my rangefinder during casual rounds at new courses.

Casual rounds are just that and I will ignore stroke and distance, rocks, roots. If alone will leave pin in.

Back