The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think people have a hard time with leaving money on the table and paying off smaller balances for the delf gratification
Agreed. For instance I have friends that are remodeling their house. Their low interest loan to do so is lower than the interest they earn on their savings to pay cash. He would be totally against that.

I understand his reasonings, but his total money makeover is just too basic to use as a guideline for life if you truly want to maximize things.

Yeah I think people have a hard time with leaving money on the table and paying off smaller balances for the delf gratification

While I know where JB is coming from, when people are at the point where they need some serious help, Ramsey delivers a simple to follow plan that is easy to stick with and you can see continued improvement. Improvement leads to a sense of accomplishment and that is something that people need when in financial turmoil.

And it has to be simple when you feel that you are drowning in debt and squeaking by paycheck to paycheck.

Agreed. For instance I have friends that are remodeling their house. Their low interest loan to do so is lower than the interest they earn on their savings to pay cash. He would be totally against that.

I understand his reasonings, but his total money makeover is just too basic to use as a guideline for life if you truly want to maximize things.
Yeah I think in the infant stages the program isn't meant to maximize anything really.

We filed our taxes and plan on using most of the refund to pay off or down some credit cards. If we pay off 1 full card it would take pretty much our whole refund. What do you guys think would be better pay off one card or pay down like 3 cards. (Put 1000 to our two highest cards and 500 to another cards.)

Pay off the card with the highest interest rate first.

We filed our taxes and plan on using most of the refund to pay off or down some credit cards. If we pay off 1 full card it would take pretty much our whole refund. What do you guys think would be better pay off one card or pay down like 3 cards. (Put 1000 to our two highest cards and 500 to another cards.)

1st look to see if any of them offer a balance transfer for zero or low interest. If so, get them all on one card or close to all on one card.
If none of that is an option, tackle the one with the higher interest rate first.

1st look to see if any of them offer a balance transfer for zero or low interest. If so, get them all on one card or close to all on one card.
If none of that is an option, tackle the one with the higher interest rate first.

Solid advice.

But I might also suggest paying off the ones that are close to being maxed out will also help your credit score by lowering your debt to credit available ratio.

Dave Ramsey's books and plans for getting out of debt are good. It's mostly common sense but having a road map in place makes it easier.

+1 on Dave Ramsey, I have been a listener of his for many years.

Solid advice.

But I might also suggest paying off the ones that are close to being maxed out will also help your credit score by lowering your debt to credit available ratio.

This is very true. If credit score is a need right now, work on getting any type of semblance close to 30% or down from 80% of utilization as quickly as possible. You would be shocked with how fast this improves your credit score.

I completely understand the interest rate position. But I would still look to maximize your ability to reduce monthly payments. Let's say you could eliminate 3 lower interest rate CC's that have $500 total monthly payment or the higher interest rate CC that carries a $400 monthly payment. I'd get rid of the 3 CC's first because it gives you an extra $100 a month to allocate toward other debt.

I was just reading about a card that was noted as being best for this because it had zero transfer fees, zero interest rates for 18 months and maybe even no annual fee. Maybe Chase Slate???

Exactly JB. And increasing your credit score not only helps you get better credit rates. But these days it's used for things such as getting approved for some jobs, renting an apartment or even a car in some cases.

I struggled with my score for many years after a divorce 25 years ago. But doing a lot of little things over time helps build it back up.

The flu day 4. Finally out of bed, but only made it to the couch.

Feel better Pete. Looking forward to seeing you on "The Burg"

Last edited:
Exactly JB. And increasing your credit score not only helps you get better credit rates. But these days it's used for things such as getting approved for some jobs, renting an apartment or even a car in some cases.

I struggled with my score for many years after a divorce 25 years ago. But doing a lot of little things over time helps build it back up.

It sure can. It can also lead to better interest rates from your creditors if you are looking to get things paid down which in turn leads to lower monthly bills which leads to more going towards principle if you choose.

Mine lasted a good 6 days.

I actually have a good credit score. Last time it was checked I think it was a 690 or so. I'm definitely gonna call all my cards and see if any of them will give me a lower interest rate. Thanks everyone for the advice.

hate spending a decent saturday morning doing school work. gonna finish this up and at least try to hit the range. get some work in with the new irons. been a couple weeks since i swung a club.

also in the process of fixing some short term debt woes...nothing to serious just need to fix some budget shortfalls.

edit: not getting money you were expecting sux.

The first thing you need after making those payments, whichever way you go, is to change your W4 at work to get that $2,500 per year back into your paycheck so you can use that extra money each month to pay down debt faster and start building savings. Stop giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan while you waste money on interest to others - you lose twice in that scenario.

$2,500/26 paychecks = $96 extra per period. That's a big help against credit card debt over a year! Just be disciplined with it. Make it an automatic payment so you don't miss it if you don't trust yourself not to spend.

I hate I mean really hate when a member of the media presents a story that he obtained from another published source and doesn't credit the original person.

This happened with a piece I wrote last year.

http://wnst.net/towson-tigers/mcglynn-brothers-biggest-challenges-came-off-the-court/

This week a studio host on the American Sports Network basically read directly from my article as if he was the one breaking the story.

What's funny is it couldn't have come from anyone else. At the time I wrote that last year, not even the Sports Information Department at Towson knew of the younger brothers condition.

I got the story directly from their father as he trusted me to do a responsible job with it.

I know it's not my full time profession. Not working full time in the media I like to take my small victories were I can. So I get a bit upset when I just basically get ripped off without any reference.

Sorry had to get it off my chest.

That's BS, when a college kid does it it's bad enough, when a supposed journalist or member of the media does it it is pathetic.

That's BS, when a college kid does it it's bad enough, when a supposed journalist or member of the media does it it is pathetic.

Sadly it's all to common these days. When I actually started in college and then my first job, it was ingrained into me to always credit a story if you obtained it from another source.

Twitter makes this rampant. Two years ago while covering a game, I made what I thought was just a throw away comment to the writer sitting next to me about a play that just happened.

Two minutes later I see the comment on his Twitter feed. I just looked at him and said, "Really?" He just shrugged as if no big deal. LOL.

Sadly it's all to common these days. When I actually started in college and then my first job, it was ingrained into me to always credit a story if you obtained it from another source.

Twitter makes this rampant. Two years ago while covering a game, I made what I thought was just a throw away comment to the writer sitting next to me about a play that just happened.

Two minutes later I see the comment on his Twitter feed. I just looked at him and said, "Really?" He just shrugged as if no big deal. LOL.
I would have started feeding him bad info.

''#25 is actually Obamas nephew. ''

He wouldn't do it again.

I would have started feeding him bad info.

''#25 is actually Obamas nephew. ''

He wouldn't do it again.

Oh man. This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the laugh.

It helps me keep it all in perspective. Especially with the real rant worthy issues others have had of late.

Today is one of those days, just saying. Want the day to be over with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back