Changing irons... Again... And again...

Boom_Boom

Reaction score
Handicap
<18
I've been playing three and a half years, and I have gone through about 11 sets of irons, not having one longer than 6 months. I'm sure it's not normal, but can I look forward to a time when I come across "the one" and never want to change again?

I've been playing three and a half years, and I have gone through about 11 sets of irons, not having one longer than 6 months. I'm sure it's not normal, but can I look forward to a time when I come across "the one" and never want to change again?
Yeah it happens but those sliders you got aren't bad. Have you given Adams or Wilson Staff a thought?? They both make solid offerings my man.

Neither of them have really caught my eye, although the Previous V2 from Wilson was beautiful. A little too much of a blade for a man of my talent!
I guess I just like to tinker with things...

This may not be a mainstream view, but you want a set of irons that have stood the test of time. They have been used by hackers and pros. Of course I am talking about a used set of Ping Eye 2's. Knowing the irons aren't the problem is half the battle imo.

Neither of them have really caught my eye, although the Previous V2 from Wilson was beautiful. A little too much of a blade for a man of my talent!
I guess I just like to tinker with things...
Nothing wrong with that bro. Take your time, research, hit the range and then make a decision that will stick. In theory it's not good to keep changing irons all too often but alot of us like choices and variety in the garage. I know I do.

Agreed with robmypro. The eye 2's are some of the best all time and are still to this day my go to for reminding me of back in the day. A truly solid set of irons.

Another solid classic iron is the King Corba very solid GI irons. I actually searched them up on a boring day and can be had for 130 shipped. But the apex are also solid but more pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck. I thought I was bad going through seven sets in two years. Still have them all too. I like shiny new toys. Apparently, you do too. :act-up:

Haha, Ping Eye 2... Had some about 2 years ago. First club I ever hit a big, high cut with, on purpose! Man, I still remember that shot like it was yesterday and how proud I was. Probably shot 100 but that cut 6 iron into a tucked pin was awesome! Followed by a 3-jack, for sure.
Where it all went south is when I went from just trying to hit a ball to hitting golf shots. Of course, we all want the holy grail of maximum forgiveness and maximum workability. The SLDRs are ok, but the ball flight is super high and the chrome finish is a tad annoying. The Apex is my next conquest.

Last edited:
Heck. I thought I was bad going through seven sets in two years. Still have them all too. I like shiny new toys. Apparently, you do too. :act-up:

My problem is I don't keep them! You can get some good trade in credit! Ha!

Haha, Ping Eye 2... Had some about 2 years ago. First club I ever hit a big, high cut with, on purpose! Man, I still remember that shot like it was yesterday and how proud I was. Probably shot 100 but that cut 6 iron into a tucked pin was awesome! Followed by a 3-jack, for sure.
Where it all went south is when I went from just trying to hit a ball to hitting golf shots. Of course, we all want the holy grail of maximum forgiveness and maximum workability. The SLDRs are ok, but the bald light is super high and the chrome finish is a tad annoying. The Apex is my next conquest.

I've been looking at those Apex irons too...

Dax

I don't know if you'll find what you are looking for. There are a lot of great options out there but IMO one needs to find an option and commit to it through the good and the bad.

I've been at it the same 3.5 years and have had two sets of irons. I'm not saying what I did is better but I learned to hit all my shots with my burner 2s. Once comfortable I moved up to the Apex which made shaping easier.

People say it around here all the time and it's true, it's the indian not the arrow. Choose an option, stick to it and learn the clubs you choose. Continuity will allow your game to improve instead of having to learn new tendencies every few months.

Every year new tech amazes and there seems to be "the perfect iron" but I think one of the most entertaining parts of golf is the honeymoon phase or dreams we have about irons being perfection.

It's fun to try shiny and new, but it's also fun to play great golf with irons we've grooved with our swing. tough call.

I've found my iron soul mates. :in-love: It takes time and you'll know when the right set really pulls your heart strings. I'm not saying I'll never change but it would take one hell of an awesome set to take my current ones away. My irons may not be the best but they certainly give me that warm and comfy feeling which equates to security.

True Story: One of the rangers at my course last Sunday asked me to sell a driver on Ebay for him. I asked him when he got it and he said a couple of days ago. I asked him when he hit it and he said 3 times on the range. I refused and told him to keep playing it for at least 3 months and if he still wanted to sell it I would be glad to do it for him.

I have always been of the belief that it takes time to really find your swing and long-term comfort level with any clubs. I give clubs I buy a minimum of 6 months before I even entertain the thought of selling them and moving on. Generally trade my irons out every 2 years.

Yes, I think you can. (4th set since 2012 here)

This may not be a mainstream view, but you want a set of irons that have stood the test of time. They have been used by hackers and pros. Of course I am talking about a used set of Ping Eye 2's. Knowing the irons aren't the problem is half the battle imo.
As good as those irons were, considering the advances in materials and designs, I don't think they hold a candle to today's irons. I'm not saying that you shouldn't love them mind you.

Play whatever irons make you happy. If that means changing sets every 3 months, godspeed

My answer would be "it depends"... There are a number of THPers who enjoy trying shiny new things and that is part of their connection to golf. So, even if you think you've found that one "perfect" set, that love affair could change in another 6 months. And, IMO, that's OK. (BTW, I currently reside in this group, but am hoping to do less switching moving forward).

I've found my iron soul mates. :in-love: It takes time and you'll know when the right set really pulls your heart strings. I'm not saying I'll never change but it would take one hell of an awesome set to take my current ones away. My irons may not be the best but they certainly give me that warm and comfy feeling which equates to security.

This exactly. My irons: 1980 Taylormade Tour Preferred, 1999 Ping i3 Blades, 2005 Wilson Staff PI5's, and the current FG V2's that I bought 2 years ago. That makes 4 sets in 35 years.

Of course I buy at least 2 drivers and putters every year. Heck, I've bought 6 putters in the last year and probably have a Seemore SB1 coming soon. It gives me comfort to walk in my man cave that is also a putting green and see 20 putters leaning against the wall.

When it comes to irons and wedges I like to really spend time with them and get very familiar with them before judging them or moving on to something else.

wow, that's a new set every 3 months. i can't cast stones, because i'm seriously considering changing after less than a year with my current set of ping i25s. i just hate them. i'm eyeballing the bridgestone df or maybe a combo set of srixon 545/745. i don't know what a good rule of thumb is, but i feel like a year is enough time with a set, and maybe a minimum of 10 rounds?

the mantra is obviously that it's not the arrow, it's the indian. and i know that's true, but i think there's a little room for confidence. if you have -0- confidence in the club, or the particular weighting just doesn't suit you, i think that's a real issue. i like to think that's my problem with my sticks...

Some work some don't, nothing wrong with changing them if you have a clear idea why. Changing the sake of new often than not is regrettable, any set of clubs takes time getting used to, in order to get the full performance out of it.

Of your like me and a lot of other THPers who like new shiny things you will always be changing but might have one set laying around that you keep going back to. I think for me although it's early on the z545s are going to be that set that stays around for awhile even if they aren't the primary set

Keep in mind, I don't go to Golfsmith and buy a new set off the rack every few months! Would be nice to have that kind of money, though!
I do a lot of trading here and there. Wheeling and dealing type of stuff. I find it fun. I want to try everything out there. And I do keep everything long enough to get a fair shake.

Srixon 545s were the ones for me.

Beautiful appearance, great feel, and incredible forgiveness. Truly the total package that will be staying in my bag for many years to come

Back