Wilson Staff Infinite Southside Putters

Called today to get an update on the Southside I ordered last Tuesday. The guy that answered didn't know anything, but he was supposed to ask the owner to look into a possible ship date.

Called today to get an update on the Southside I ordered last Tuesday. The guy that answered didn't know anything, but he was supposed to ask the owner to look into a possible ship date.

Maybe contact them via Twitter? Every time I've had a question for W/S they were very quick to respond

Did you order directly from Wilson?

Did you order directly from Wilson?
Nope. Ordered from the local shop. I try to support them when I can.

I have to make sure they stay in business so I can play on their sim in the winter. :D

It might take a bit. Quite a bit of stuff still isn't available on their website either.

I rolled a few of these yesterday at PGA SS while killing some time before a meeting. They feel very good, but I have trouble with alignment. I think the alignment aid is a bit busy.

I wondered if that would be the case, but if it bothers me, I just plan to put black paint fill in the 2 outside sight lines.

I dig that matte black finish. Really might have to take the plunge and get one of these...just can't shake the feeling that they'll end up on the secondary market for way less than their ticket price. But a quality, milled, counterbalanced putter at that price is just too good a deal.

I think they are more gray than matte black if I remember correctly

Great news. My Southside is at the pro shop!

I'll it up this evening & post some in hand pics.

Got the putter & immediately took it to the putting green @ the club I just joined.

LOVE IT! I'll add initial thoughts latter tonight, but for now, here are some shots I took on the putting green.

2icbpc6.jpg

b7kq3a.jpg

25q7wwl.jpg

rcowf9.jpg

Very nice Shakey, roll it well!

I absolutely love the mill on that face. Enjoy it! And I'm looking forward to your feedback because the South Side is in my sights

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside Putter Review

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside Putter Review

First off, I apologize if this gets lengthy. Sometimes I don't know when to shut up or quit typing.

Looks
IMO, this is the best looking line of putters W/S has put out in my golf life (about 17 years). The dark mate gray finish is awesome & it's offset nicely with the chromed section on the bottom. One thing I noticed quickly is that the matte finish absorbs oils from your hand & turns darker. While some may find this a turn off, I think it looks cool. Overtime, I expect the finish to darken considerably because of this.

Something I was concerned about were the multiple black & white sight lines on the flange & the single white line across the back of the face. I thought this might be too busy & be distracting when lining up puts, but I didn't mind it at all. In fact, I found myself using the line across the back of the face to line up short putts. This was a novelty to me because I've always preferred a single white sight line on the flange for ease of alignment.

A couple of other things to touch on in the looks category are the grip & headcover. Once again, I think W/S did a great job on design in these areas. Especially the headcover. Its the best looking factory cover I can remember. My only complaint is that I wish it had a magnet closure instead of velcro.

Feel

I have to start with the grip on this one. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it was love at first touch. It's got a unique texture to the upper black part that feels smooth & soft, but stable in hand. The front off the grip (where my thumbs rest) maintains this texture all the way to the bottom. The sides & back of the bottom of the grip are soft as well & have a cross hatched pattern & feel. Best I can come close to describing it is that it is similar to the pattern on a lot of old school rifle stocks. It will definitely stay. Per W/S, its a heavy grip to act as a counterbalance for the head, but it doesn't feel heavy to me.

The ball (Duo Spin for the first test) comes off the face with a nice solid sound. I think they did a good job with the face milling depth. Its not overly soft & its definitely not harsh.

The putter feels very well balanced. Neither the head or the grip feel out of proportion. When I've experimented with heavy headed putters in the past, I had to be careful to keep the head stable when I transitioned from taking the putter back to making the strike. If I wasn't careful, the weight of the head would cause the putter face to open up when I started the forward move. Putters with too light of a head tend to get loose when I take them back because I loose the feel of the head. This was horrible for my putting confidence. The Southside excels at getting the balance just right.

I'll save performance until tomorrow night. The weather is supposed to be good, so I'm going to try to get out of the office a little early & play a little bit if I can get my glove over the burn bandage on my hand.

Feel free to hit me with any questions you might have.

The putter looks great Shakey. And I have to say, nice job on the review. Hope you can get on the course with this tomorrow and I look forward to your thoughts after the round.

Last edited:
Nice photos and feedback Tom! Looking forward to seeing this one in person.

Great early feedback! And personally, I prefer velcro over magnets just because I've had a few magnet headcovers that over time the magnet quit working. So I'm ok with velcro. But it sounds like you have one hell of a putter and for the price point, you can't go wrong here

Nice writeup Shakey. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on performance.

~Rock

Nice Shakey, those sure are purty. Roll it well!

I was able to take it out on the course yesterday, but life got in the way of knocking out a review last night.

My first round was very successfull. 29 total putts with no 3 jacks. I'll break it down into 3 catagories. Lags, mid-range & putts inside of 8'-10'.

Lag Putts: This is where I expected to have the most difficulty with the new putter, but it performed very well. I'm not always consistent with centerface contact on long putts & the Southside let me get away with a couple toe-ish strokes that should have cost me distance/line accuracy. Both of these putts ended up inside of '6 & I was able to covert the 2 putt. I attribute this to the overall weight/balance of the putter & the excellent grip that prevents any unwanted torque.

Mid-Range: I loved the accuracy of the Southside from this range. I scared the cup consistently & knocked down a putt from about 15' & another one a little longer than that. The sight lines on the flange set up true to the intended line for me. For whatever reason, a lot of putters I've tried appear to have a closed face when I'm standing over them & they're lined up at the target. The Golo didn't last long in my bag for that reason.

Short putts: I didn't miss anything under 6' in this round. That hasn't happened in quite some time. I even knocked in back to back birdies from 5' & 8' to start the back nine. I alluded to this in my initial review, but the white line that runs across the back of the face of the putter was very handy for quickly lining up & knocking in those 2' & 3' footers that can be knee knockers when the pressure is on.

Another thing that I have to mention is how this putter sets up at address. It naturally puts your hands directly above the ball & in front of the head of the putter. I think that one of the key reasons the ball comes off the face with such a good & true roll. Maybe that's common with most putters, but I've never really noticed it before.

Just a quick note about the counterbalanced aspect of the putter. When you just hold it in hand, it does feel pretty weighty. But when you stroke a putt with it, it doesn't feel heavy at all. I guess thats the counterbalance in effect. I know W/S was late to the counterbalance party, but when they showed up, they did it right.

Lastly, I'll address sound/feel. I know opinions on these topics vary greatly from player to player, but I'll go ahead & give it my best shot. Contact with the Southside produces a nice solid sound. The milling isn't as deep as some premium putters, so the feel is a little firmer than something like a deep milled Betti. If your used to something like a White Hot Pro insert, its a different world altogether. I was putting with a new Duo Spin BTW, so your results may differ based on the cover hardness of your ball of preference.

I'm obviously very pleased with my purchase & I hope the honeymoon phase stay around for a long time.

Great to hear these are getting into people's hands finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great putter fit you Shakey. Nice job on your first round and your review.

Second round with it today. Didn't sink any long ones today, but didn't miss any short ones either.

I had some distance control issues on long putts, but I attribute that more to playing a course I'm not familiar with yet.

Couple of the older guys I played with took some strokes with it & loved it. I expect I won't be the only one with an Infinite putter at that course much longer.

Second round with it today. Didn't sink any long ones today, but didn't miss any short ones either...

I like hearing that last bit, Shakey. If I feel good, and execute, on short-ish putts, that bodes well for my overall putting.

Back