Callaway Steelhead XR Irons Review

I agree that the Apex gets a bit more of the buzz, and they are great irons themselves, but these irons should absolutely not get overlooked. I took a bunch of swings with the Apex, in various setups, and the Steelheads gave me better numbers, and way more confidence.

I was close between the apex and the steelheads. The steelhead gave me a little more forgiveness but I saw some distance loss to the CF16s and with the spin numbers down low enough on the Apexs it just made sense to keep the distance. Absolutely loved the feel of these clubs.

Good honest review James. They won't be for everyone, but they were a great fit for one Grandaddy participant.

More than just one. I believe maddog and ashman both went into steelheads as well.

Good honest review James. They won't be for everyone, but they were a great fit for one Grandaddy participant.
I appreciate you taking the time to read it dude.

Ordered a set today, should be her before Christmas, (backordered 3-5 days) UST 450/460 Reg flex, Golf Pride New Dec Chev Platinum/Red 55G grip 1 flat.
No golf for us for awhile because of weather so not missing out on to much. Had some trade ins to cut the cost. Really looking forward to putting these into play.
I don't work the ball left/right a lot so should be good for my game.

For those that are playing them, what are your continued thoughts on these? They intrigue me in my limited time with them.

For those that are playing them, what are your continued thoughts on these? They intrigue me in my limited time with them.
I gave these to one of my HS starters and he hits the highest iron shots I have ever seen in my life now. But good night they are long and have really really helped to minimize his misses. He's really enjoying them.

Still waiting on mine, no update as to shipping yet. :angry:

Still really enjoying them. They are just so easy to hit and so forgiving. I think for all of the forgiveness packed into them they still look good in the bag and at address. After a few rounds, I am enjoying the switch to graphite, but I also liked the XP95s in them. They go a long way but also reasonably high. The lofts are strong in them yes, but the face cup (throughout the whole set in these) is so good. I also really like using the 9 & PW for bump and runs. It took a little getting used to at first due to a somewhat springy face (at least thats how they feel to me), but since then it has become a very useful and easy shot to hit.

I just got fit into these today; great distance, dispersion and flight for me. Excited to get these into my bag for 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got fit into these today; great distance, dispersion and flight for me. Excited to get these into my bag for 2017

Play you for your lunch money

Good stuff. Looking forward to your thoughts. I think you will love them.

The offset and clickiness may put some people off but long, high and straight is a winning combo.

Nice review, James. I thought this was a great example of how you can cover some things that might be negatives to some players without taking pot shots or ignoring the good stuff.

The offset and clickiness may put some people off but long, high and straight is a winning combo.

Nice review, James. I thought this was a great example of how you can cover some things that might be negatives to some players without taking pot shots or ignoring the good stuff.
Thanks dude. I know some on the Internet refuse to believe one can be tactful when reviewing something, but thankfully THP proves otherwise.

Just warning you right now - next time we play I'm gonna ask if I can hit them one or 14 times.

Still waiting on mine to arrive, have tracking number finally so should be here this week. :clapp:

Got mine a few months back and I am really enjoying them. They are long, forgiving, and easy on the eyes. I am fairly new to the game (less than 2 years) and these have really helped my game.

Got mine a few months back and I am really enjoying them. They are long, forgiving, and easy on the eyes. I am fairly new to the game (less than 2 years) and these have really helped my game.

Thats such a great feeling. Putting something in the bag with confidence and the tech that you know will help you.

Supposed to be delivered tomorrow!!!! :banana:

Has anyone hit these and the new Big Bertha OS irons? Can they compare the two in terms of distance and forgiveness and feel? Thanks.

Has anyone hit these and the new Big Bertha OS irons? Can they compare the two in terms of distance and forgiveness and feel? Thanks.

Totally different irons in my opinion.
One is going to be a full hollow body construction, lower spin and more offset with a wider sole and topline.
These are still going to offer a lot of forgiveness but are a cavity back construction. The Big Bertha's will offer more ball speed and forgiveness in a general sense based on technology, but they have a very unique sound and feel.

I have had these irons since September and absolutely love them. I picked up about 5 yards in distance from my old set but where I feel they excel is their forgiveness on miss hits. My confidence in my irons is at an all time high.

The irons have finally arrived, these will get to the course this weekend if weather allows.

The irons have finally arrived, these will get to the course this weekend if weather allows.

Nice! Be sure to let us know how it goes if you make it out. They look great in the bag.

James any photos of the short irons at address?

Back