What does this say about Nike?

To be fair that writeup had nothing to do with actual performance. Their club demo tests are as good as anything out there. They have obvious bias but numbers are numbers and they provide those.

When your bias is that obvious, I don't trust your numbers.

I don't make much of it. A lot of companies don't have clubs reviewed. I don't really find his reviews very helpful, fun to watch but not what I would call a thorough review. In one review he said he spec's out his drivers so they all go about the same distance and I find he doesn't really talk about if the tech and claims do what they say.

It's not something that is unique to either Nike or Marc Crossfield. Happens.

Who is Marc Crossfield and why would want to read his review's? We get it here, in the hands of real players at all handicap levels.

He has had a couple of reviews where they would not provide the clubs. I think Callaway did it to him years ago with the Optiforce or something. I remember him saying they wouldnt give a club for testing but I got my hands on one, not sure why they wouldn't but I want to review it anyways. Also he did another review with Lockey today with the Nike vs the G30 and Lockey had no problems with ball speed, not all equipment is for all people. This is becoming a bigger issue than it should ever be.

He has had a couple of reviews where they would not provide the clubs. I think Callaway did it to him years ago with the Optiforce or something. I remember him saying they wouldnt give a club for testing but I got my hands on one, not sure why they wouldn't but I want to review it anyways. Also he did another review with Lockey today with the Nike vs the G30 and Lockey had no problems with ball speed, not all equipment is for all people. This is becoming a bigger issue than it should ever be.

Yeah he had it with Steve.

He talked about changing the loft and got numbers similar to the G30, which then has me questioning his style. Does he not adjust the clubs to fit his swing and produce optimal numbers in comparisons?

Yeah he had it with Steve.

He talked about changing the loft and got numbers similar to the G30, which then has me questioning his style. Does he not adjust the clubs to fit his swing and produce optimal numbers in comparisons?

Are you kidding? The same guy comparing the Nike Vapor Flex with Blueboard with the Ping G30 with the TFC419D. Thats as apples to apples comparison as I have ever seen....

Are you kidding? The same guy comparing the Nike Vapor Flex with Blueboard with the Ping G30 with the TFC419D. Thats as apples to apples comparison as I have ever seen....

According to him shaft and flex don't matter ......

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If an OEM didn't send him something to review then he needs to get over it. Just how it goes.

Crossfield comes off pretty annoying IMO and I hate how he tries to take on the marketing side of the industry versus just testing the clubs. For this very reason I'm a Rick Shiels fan. He's unbiased, shows you the numbers and gives you his honest feedback on how the club felt and a lot of times he'll take certain clubs to the course to give that perspective, as well.
I can't share the same opinion with you on these two reviewers.

I like the fact that Mark can come out and call it as he see's fit. Not saying it's 100% accurate. But he wont step down or hesitate to ruffle the feathers a little bit.

Rick on the other hand doesn't do it for me. I've never seen him make 1 negative comment towards a new product. And after he hits the ball he is always in awe just praising the product. He does have a wicked swing however.

What does this say about Nike?

Any company who would give clubs to reviewers, which clearly they do, and then say "we disagree with your review no more reviews for you" is shady IMO. Constructive criticism is what makes products better not rubber stamping. I appreciate the guy's reviews and his views on the latest tech and whether or not it is really worth it.

Would I buy something solely based on any review, anywhere? Never.

Tiger Woods must be involved in this somehow.

Should be noted that golf is not the only place this happens. Chris Harris was not allowed to review Ferrari's for over a year because of comments he made.

Mark just needs to stop complaining about it. It makes him look more childish than the company themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree with many in here. I don't think it reflects too poorly on Crossfield or Nike, but Crossfield is the one complaining about it. Go buy a Vapor driver and get to work IMO.

As far as their overall reviews go I'm always amazed how Mark get's the same damn numbers with everything and conversely Shiels can have a 25 yard carry difference with a bad fitting club for him.
Just goes to show that you've got to hit the clubs yourselves and simply cannot solely rely on the opinions and findings of others.

Considering he has posted YouTurb reviews online of all three Nike Vapor drivers I think the Internet needs to stop playing detective.
Yeah, I'm with you. Non issue if you ask me. MC has his loyalist as does Nike. Neither will be effected in the long run. Plus no one has confirmed what company gave him the snub.

Alot of hate here for Mark. He just acknowledges the marketing because every club he reviews has the same statements.

For example. Mark loves Ping wedges. He gamed Gorges for over a year. He just reviewed the Glides and started the review by saying something along the lines of "the grooves push the USGA limits to the max yada yada yada". I agree with him all wedge statements are the same because of USGA limits. He did touch on the important points such as the new shaft, grip, and finish on the Ping wedge.

But when companies like TM and Callaway release their 20th driver in the past 2 years it's hard to say whats improved because realistically nothing has. So hes constantly having to regurgitate the same marketing nonsense over and over. The Callaway Alpha, Beta, Opti, nonsense nonsense nonsense. Or the TM SLDR, SLDR S, Mini SLDR, New SLDR, bs bs bs. They literally just make it look different and claim because u can move something on the bottom or side that its lower spinning and goes farther. What do u want him to say? He has to joke about this stuff or he will go mad saying the same thing over and over and over. The poor guy has to review essentially the same driver 40 times a year between TM and Callaway.

Alot of hate here for Mark. He just acknowledges the marketing because every club he reviews has the same statements.

For example. Mark loves Ping wedges. He gamed Gorges for over a year. He just reviewed the Glides and started the review by saying something along the lines of "the grooves push the USGA limits to the max yada yada yada". I agree with him all wedge statements are the same because of USGA limits. He did touch on the important points such as the new shaft, grip, and finish on the Ping wedge.

But when companies like TM and Callaway release their 20th driver in the past 2 years it's hard to say whats improved because realistically nothing has. So hes constantly having to regurgitate the same marketing nonsense over and over. The Callaway Alpha, Beta, Opti, nonsense nonsense nonsense. Or the TM SLDR, SLDR S, Mini SLDR, New SLDR, bs bs bs. They literally just make it look different and claim because u can move something on the bottom or side that its lower spinning and goes farther. What do u want him to say? He has to joke about this stuff or he will go mad saying the same thing over and over and over. The poor guy has to review essentially the same driver 40 times a year between TM and Callaway.
Callaway's drivers are all pretty different. If he isn't going to be bothered to learn what those differences are, I'm not going to be bothered to watch his YouTube channel. It's a fair trade.

He HAS to review something? Nobody has to review golf equipment. Im not commenting on this topic, but I disagree with the above quite a bit. Nobody is forced to review golf equipment, but if you choose that path, perhaps reviewing it, the technology in it and who it is geared for would be a good start.

i watch Shiels video on reviews for mostly entertainment purposes and have watched maybe one or two of MCs.

I am quite happy with the much better information that comes from the reviews by THP staff and members. IMO they have great detail about looks, feel, sound, performance, etc and will continue to base my decisions to test/purchase equipment based on what the great people who participate in THP have to say over pretty much any other person on the interwebz.

At least I learned something new in here today. All drivers are the exact same and offer me nothing different. Personal fittings are a total waste it sounds like....NOT

:dead-horse:

We are supposed to be the "pro-sumer." C'mon man.

At least I learned something new in here today. All drivers are the exact same and offer me nothing different. Personal fittings are a total waste it sounds like....NOT

That is one thing he does stress is that fittings are what would make these clubs different. He says whatever is fitted to you best and whatever you are most comfortable with is what is best for you. He does show that the tech for clubs is pretty much maxed out currently. I watch for entertainment I will go hit whatever I think fits me best, never would trust what you see on youtube and just order something.

He HAS to review something? Nobody has to review golf equipment. Im not commenting on this topic, but I disagree with the above quite a bit. Nobody is forced to review golf equipment, but if you choose that path, perhaps reviewing it, the technology in it and who it is geared for would be a good start.

Dang it you beat me to it. If he is sooooooo angry in having to do the same thing over and over again then move on to something else. I enjoy watching different reviews everywhere, his included but I'm a nerd like that. Personally what I'd love to see some of these guys do is change shafts and play around with different things.

Just because whichever manufacturer doesn't like the comments he has made on products doesn't mean he cant find the clubs for a discount and provide a review - now in the back of his mind when he is reviewing the club if he is on the fence of giving approval this MIGHT influence them...

He doesn't HAVE to review any clubs - but he has built up a cult following and people respect his opinions for the most part.

Is he biased to certain manufacturers? Yes I feel he is but I will still watch his videos every now and then....and will read up on the comments people make here on that particular club and see if there are any similarities...

With regards to him poking fun at marketing antics, I remember when Taylormade came out with the Rocketballz line - every time he would go to say Rocketballz in his review he had a recording which sounded like a bunch of children screaming "Rocketballz" - I found it entertaining....

Either way, Crossfield will continue to build up followers and definitely influence people.

I understand why he is upset but if a company doesn't want to give someone some clubs to test its their choice. If I owned a company and someone was putting out negative reviews of my product I would probably put them on ice and focus more to people who will give me positive reviews.

It's all marketing, you hush up the negative reviews, makes your product at least look better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree with this quite a bit, but that's fine. Some folks rely on story telling or badmouthing companies to get through their reviews, and some don't. I like to think THP doesn't, and that's why I focus my time here.

It's sort of interesting to me - the tech side and his views that is.

I do watch the occasional video of his and also those of his peers at times. One that stuck out recently was the Fly Z+ driver and that little weight that flips front or back. Not to say MC made fun of it, but there was definitely a lot of innuendo there in his tone and discussion about the technology. Then he proceeded to hit the driver and what do you know? It worked almost exactly to the number as to how it was advertised to work.

Back