PING G30 Fairway Woods - THP Review Thread

From what ive seen after a few rounds the 7w is longer and fairly accurate. The 4h has a higher flight and lands softer and is more accurate.. I hit the 7W about 180 -185. Have got some roll to out to the 190 range. The 4h is about 170-175 pretty much every time.

Thanks. Good info!

I love these two, love. Some swing weight issues after the shaft change I'm remedying now but I put the stock shaft back in till then yesterday and it started clicking again. So good all around, so so good.

So naturally what did I do? Bought a vapor flex fwy haha.

Will be 5w turned down one vs the flex turned to 17 for the bag as I'm thinking I'm going back to one fairway this year to open up a wedge spot. I bet the g30 wins but its gonna be fun to find out.
I won't wager on which one wins a spot in the bag, but I'm interested in hearing the findings. The G30s truly surprised me. Solid off the tee and off the deck. Pretty darn forgiving for my swing. Stock shaft matches well with the club head and seems to fit a broad population. But, if you can find a good shaft fit, it really opens up what the G30s can do.

They're good. And it makes me happy to see more and more figuring that out here. Fun clubs.

If anyone has a g30 5w and wants to trade for the g30 3w hit me up with a pm.

I was a PING Rapture V2 fan and every year tied the new FWs but never replaced them. Sure I bought others but the v2s remained my go to woods. The G30s changed that. I did some lengthy monitor testing with my golf guy. He pointed out and I witnessed the ball flight that the v2s were going higher but stopping quicker too and loosing yardage. The G30s gave me a more enetrating ball flight and I was carrying them further as well. I considered the G30 3w but the numbers didnt justify it at the time as the 5w dropped to 17 was giving me very good distances with much more accuracy.

Now the 5w off the tee is my 215 club and off the deck its 200. Its really is all i need bc I dont have the length to reach par 5s in two. However the golfer in me now wants the 3w simply because I hit the 5w so well but Im doing my best to resist.

I now have one bag G30 from top to bottom and love it. I have had many of the G series irons and I find this generation to be best for me.

From what ive seen after a few rounds the 7w is longer and fairly accurate. The 4h has a higher flight and lands softer and is more accurate.. I hit the 7W about 180 -185. Have got some roll to out to the 190 range. The 4h is about 170-175 pretty much every time.

How far do you hit the 3W and 5W?

I've been testing the G30 3 and 5 woods for a couple of months. Great offering by PING but I have better results with the G25's, especially from the fairway.

Anyone have or tried both the 5w and 3hybrid?

I tried the 3h and bought it straight away as it was so much better that my current hybrids, but its given me a problem (sort of) that my 2h which i use instead of a 5w is redundant as my 3h now seems to go almost as far and is waaay more forgiving.

I think i would like to have something for off the tee on lay up holes and prefer 5w over a 3w as its easier to hit but am wondering if the 3h and 5w will be too close in distance. Unfortunately the local ping supplier didn't have the 5wood in stock and i feel bad getting them to get one in if its probably not worth while.

This is very sweet off the tee. Swing is screwy right now so from the fairway I have had mixed results but off the tee I love it.

I picked up a G30 14.5 with the Tour shaft on Friday and played 2 rounds with it over the weekend. Off the tee this thing is a beast. Longer then my X2hot Pro by close to 10 yards but more importantly it's very much a straight ball, not much movement at all. With the stock shaft in the G30 I was wide left, not the case with this club. Off the deck I need some work, dormant bermuda may lend some to the issue but only 2 strikes and both were low, but straight, stingers that carried a good ways. I'd like to see some height with that shot however. Can't wait to play this 3W some more.

Last edited:
I picked up a G30 14.5 with the Tour shaft on Friday and played 2 rounds with it over the weekend. Off the tee this thing is a beast. Longer then by X2hot Pro by close to 10 yards but more importantly it's very much a straight ball, not much movement at all. With the stock shaft in the G30 I was wide left, not the case with this club. Off the deck I need some work, dormant bermuda may lend some to the issue but only 2 strikes and both were low, but straight, stingers that carried a good ways. I'd like to see some height with that shot however. Can't wait to play this 3W some more.

Give it time off the deck, its quite lethal there.

Has anyone shortened the shafts in these woods? Wondering if you cut them down 1/2" to 1" if it will throw off the high balance point?

Has anyone shortened the shafts in these woods? Wondering if you cut them down 1/2" to 1" if it will throw off the high balance point?
Not enough for the average golfer to tell.

Last edited:
Thanks Jman. Would it throw off the swing weight?

It will, but some don't seem to mind. It can also change the flex and more than you might think if the balance point already favors the grip end. You might want to call or email Ping to see what they recommend.

It won't alter the flex that much if at all, swing weight will move a little but most won't notice.

Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Still loving the G30 14.5 with Tour shaft. Played it today and used it exclusively off the tee on 14 holes, only missed 1 fairway but more importantly it is just such a repeatable ball flight and result each time I've played it. Also was able to hit it 2 more times off the turf and got very good results from those shots as well. I'm pretty certain this one has landed a spot in the 2015 bag.

Still loving the G30 14.5 with Tour shaft. Played it today and used it exclusively off the tee on 14 holes, only missed 1 fairway but more importantly it is just such a repeatable ball flight and result each time I've played it. Also was able to hit it 2 more times off the turf and got very good results from those shots as well. I'm pretty certain this one has landed a spot in the 2015 bag.

Its a hoot dude. I'll be SHOCKED if it doesn't end up back in my bag.

I posted earlier in thread about how much I enjoy the G30 5W. Well nothing has changed except I have hitting it so well that I kept thinking what about the 3W. If I hit the 5 so good certainly I can swing the 3. I succumbed to the lusty temptation and grabbed a 3W last night. Will give it a go soon. I am tremendously impressed with these FWs.

I mentioned before, but I think it bears repeating - I was never comfortable with a 3W off the deck, previously I was playing a V-Steel and an R5 Dual. The G30, however, just gets right up there in a nice penetrating straight flight with at least 10 yards more distance. Off the tee is great as well. The course I play the most has a small gully across one of it's fairways and I always hit 3W off the tee there to make sure I didn't land in it. I hit the G30 expecting to land in my normal spot off to the right just before the gully, and it cleared it by a good few yards and far closer to the center than I've ever been on that hole. Love it.

This is only to give my experiences with the Ping G30 3W. I don't have any newer 3W to compare with because I hadn't been very consistent so I hadn't carried a 3 in several years. But due to the success I have been having with Ping hybrids, I hit a demo G30 3W but didn't purchase. That demo felt so good I couldn't get it out of my mind so I had to try another and eventually bought it with the stiff TFC shaft with no regret what so ever. For me, this club is easy to play off the deck, even bare ground and easier to hit off the tee. The ball flies straighter and higher than any other 3W I've ever had. Now for the first time in 8-10 years I have a 3W in the bag that I can actually use with confidence.

Back