Wind ,which direction gives you the most trouble?

Maddog701

Reaction score
Handicap
14.2 ghin
I played in windy conditions recently, for me it seems a tailwind gives me the most trouble when trying to play the wind. Just curious to see what everyone has trouble with.

Headwind
Tailwind
Crosswind

Looking forward to hearing the most problematic wind direction

Headwind by far...shortens everything and accentuates any side spin sending it right or left as bad if not worse than a crosswind.

Crosswind, I can deal with head and tailwind, not the crosswind.

left to right ...

wind in my face, I can deal with loss of distance.

Been struggling with distances into a headwind.

Headwind, I struggle to hit the ball low without having a large hook on it as well. Plus, trying to hit just a normal shot in a headwind it magnifies mistakes.

headwind and its not even close

all of it. if i had to pick one, i'd say headwind. really messes with my confidence and i almost always misjudge. fortunately we don't get a ton of wind here in central florida.

Hitting into the wind sucks for me.

Even at the range I hate hitting into the wind. You can say that's the time to practice your "knock down" shots, but how can you practice a knock down shot if you don't know how? :act-up:

Last edited:
Crosswind, particularly a left to right one. No fun at all!!

tailwind. 100% tailwind. Into the wind I can accommodate for. Tail wind is unpredictable. Especially going into a green.

Crosswind for me. I tend to have a harder time judging much that will impact ball flight than the other 2 dirrctions.

Lately it's been a headwind, it's turning my cut into a slice and driving me crazy

Left to right crosswind is death for me because I fade the ball. I can never judge how far left I should aim.

Headwind, it really accentuates any poor shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right to left. For some reason it's the only time I can hit a draw and the ball sails away from me.

A headwind is the toughest for me to play in too. It kills distance and magnifies unwanted spins. Silver lining is that I prefer to practice into a headwind though, primarily because accentuating excess spin gives me a better picture of what I'm doing right / messing up.

Direction isn't a problem for me. It's gustiness. If the wind comes and goes it feels like a crap shoot.

Head winds give me the greatest trouble. I feel like I balloon a lot of shots with headwinds.

Headwind. I have just enough control to handle a cross wind and downwind is easy peasy.

A strong headwind, or a left to right wind that is strong enough to force me to aim off the green, are pretty equally troublesome to me. I can't seem to stop trying to hit harder into the wind, which just causes it to balloon up and come up short.
I also can't count the times where a strong cross wind made me have to aim off the green, and I managed to accidentally put enough draw on it to have it hold the line and miss the green left.

Headwind by far...shortens everything and accentuates any side spin sending it right or left as bad if not worse than a crosswind.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Headwinds for me. Exaggerates pretty much every miss in the bag, keeps longer clubs in hand all day...ugh.

Back