Tee or no tee when hitting an iron off the tee box?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious how many golfers don't use a tee when hitting an iron off the tee box. Since the majority of iron shots are off the deck, it seems counterintuitive to use a tee when hitting off the tee box. I think it was Arnold Palmer (maybe Jack Nicholas) that said, if you can use a tee, you should, but I'm sure there are some that find this problematic like I do.

I've decided that the tee is making it more difficult for me to make a good shot off the tee box. I've come to this conclusion based on the fact that when my tee shot is poor, my 2nd shot is normally right at the target. Seems logical since the 2nd shot is off the deck, perhaps that's the whole problem. So tomorrow, I will be hitting all my tee shots from the tee box without a tee when using an iron.

Anyone else not use a tee when hitting an iron from the tee box?

I always use a tee. But it has to be broken. I have a bag of full tees and broken tees.

I always use a tee when I am able to. Jack said never waste a chance to use a tee

agree with tadashi70, and for that exact reason. the only time i consider not teeing it up is if i have a wedge in my hand. i think that is because of the mass on the bottom of the club, if i catch it a little high on the face it will not go as far. i think.

Always a tee for me.

I always use a tee. If you tee it up low enough, there's not too much difference between tee and no tee. But with a tee, you can always ensure yourself a perfect lie.

Always use a tee and always look for a broken one on the box

I never use a tee on a par 3 that requires an iron. To me it's no differant then a 160 yard shot to the green from the fairway. Only time I'll use a tee if it require a 3 wood.

If I can tee up I will. I have a bunch of 1 1/4" tees that I use and I rarely break or lose them.

Always use a tee. Take advantage of everything the rules allow

I never use a tee on a par 3 that requires an iron. To me it's no differant then a 160 yard shot to the green from the fairway. Only time I'll use a tee if it require a 3 wood.

As a 13.5 hdcp this shocks me. Either you every green and are the worst Putter on the planet or you miss greens. Not using a tee it placing you at a disadvantage.

I always tee it up when I can. I also tee a little higher on par 3's when I'm between clubs and trying to take some off.

I'll always use a tee but I'll put it as far down as I can. Need any help I can get. Once I get to my pw tho I will not tee it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a 13.5 hdcp this shocks me. Either you every green and are the worst Putter on the planet or you miss greens. Not using a tee it placing you at a disadvantage.

Congratulations on your 13.5 handicap, but that doesn't mean that you can tell other people what works for them. I'm actually quite shocked that so many tee it up since it really seems counterintuitive.

I've always teed it up, but I'm going to experiment with no tee it to see how it affects my tee shot. I've got nothing to lose because most of the time, at least for me, it seems the tee throws my swing off.

It's kind of reminds me of another thing... did you ever think about taking your practice swing in one spot and then moving to another spot to hit the ball. I was at the practice range this morning hitting iron shots only and I experimented with taking a practice swing, then moving the ball to the spot where I took my practice swing, re-addressing the ball, and swinging away. It's probably psychological but when I did this, my shots were much more consistent than what you would typically do... (practice swing, then step up to the ball, address it, then swing). I know how this sounds, but I've decided to micro manage my game in an effort to find every advantage I can.

I try to always use a tee. I'm guilty of not doing so sometimes when I'm hitting multiple balls during a practice round, especially if I'm in a hurry.

I'll take any help I can get. Tee every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always use a tee.

If you can't hit the ball off the tee with an iron, it is probably because you are a 36 handicap.

My kids golf coach would not let them hit a ball off the ground with an iron until they could with a tee. One is now a +1 and the other a 4.

Congratulations on your 13.5 handicap, but that doesn't mean that you can tell other people what works for them. I'm actually quite shocked that so many tee it up since it really seems counterintuitive.

I've always teed it up, but I'm going to experiment with no tee it to see how it affects my tee shot. I've got nothing to lose because most of the time, at least for me, it seems the tee throws my swing off.

It's kind of reminds me of another thing... did you ever think about taking your practice swing in one spot and then moving to another spot to hit the ball. I was at the practice range this morning hitting iron shots only and I experimented with taking a practice swing, then moving the ball to the spot where I took my practice swing, re-addressing the ball, and swinging away. It's probably psychological but when I did this, my shots were much more consistent than what you would typically do... (practice swing, then step up to the ball, address it, then swing). I know how this sounds, but I've decided to micro manage my game in an effort to find every advantage I can.

Hate to say it, but you didn't read that situation right. The guy who responded is a 3.8 cap moderator trying to help out a 13.5.

I always use a tee when I am able to. Jack said never waste a chance to use a tee

He also said distance is ruining golf. And Ohio state is awesome. Clearly he is not always right.

I always use a tee when i am able to. From driver, down to PW I use a tee.

i don't think teeing it up is counterintuitive at all. you want the best possible lie for every shot. if could tee it up in the fairway, i would. but i do agree that everybody is welcome to play the game the way they want.

i don't understand what you're saying in the practice swing thing, but if it's working for you keep it up.

It's a forum and we talk to each other on this forum. As the guy that doles out swing tips for the forum, my advice on the game might carry some weight. His hdcp is a 13.5 and if you aren't teeing it up on par 3s, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Anyone can do what ever they want, it really makes no difference to me. But if I can change someone approach to the game, I will.

He also said distance is ruining golf. And Ohio state is awesome. Clearly he is not always right.

Ok, for somethings he is just 'old' :D

Back