Suggestions for single irons?

oldmanrage

Reaction score
Handicap
I probably went about this the wrong way, but that's my preferred technique.

I started playing again after a decade off using the same equipment I had before. As I noted the clubs I wasn't happy with I replaced them sort of piecemeal:

I had a Top-Flite Intimidator driver that I couldn't hit consistently. Got a King Cobra 454 Comp from a friend, I can hit that well enough (mostly straight!)
I had an Odyssey "Blackspin" wedge, a Wilson K-24 sand wedge, and a no name "Approach" wedge. I could hit the sand wedge OK but the other 2 frustrated me, so I got a Tour Edge Hot Launch 3 wedge set to replace those. I probably could have practiced with the old clubs and gotten the same results but I like the idea of a matched set.
I didn't have a 3 wood so I got a Cobra Biocell.
My friend let me try his hybrids so now I have Callaway X2 3 and 4 hybrids.

Now my irons. They are from the 80s and are nothing special. Additionally, I can't hit them as far as other irons I have tried (specifically my friends Callaway XRs). I only need 5-9 irons, but most sets I see include wedges. Is it worthwhile seeking out individual clubs (ie online custom or whatever), or should I get a set and then sell off the clubs I don't use? Currently I'm thinking either Adams Blue or Cobra, but I'm open to whatever.

My plan currently is to use these clubs for a few years while I get my swing back to consistent, and then get fitted and get a new set of clubs.

Thanks!

I must have been using some bad search terms, I was on eBay for about 6 hours yesterday (during work... heh) and couldn't find anything that was only 5-9.

Back