TaylorMade R15 TP Driver - THP Review

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
EDIT: You can find the THP Review of this driver here.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?68987-TaylorMade-R15-TP-Driver-Review

Advancing with the forward weight and CG efforts that encompassed the SLDR launch, TaylorMade introduces R15. With loads of weight forward, adjustable sliding weights (x2), and a seemingly familiar adapter system, I am excited to see just how much has changed and improved over the last two seasons. I'll be sharing some graphics below regarding the track system being ever more forward than SLDR, and I will be looking forward to seeing just how much of an impact the launch characteristics show between the different weight configurations.

From TaylorMade

MADE OF GREATNESS: OUR MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED DRIVER EVER

R15 also features a lower and more forward center of gravity (CG), to promote higher launch and lower spin. The Front Track system performs like a Speed Pocket, reducing spin and increasing the size of the sweet spot, and the 4° loft sleeve along with new sliding split weights (12.5g each) make dialing in your tee shots easier than ever—slide the weights to center for max distance, heel for max draw, toe for max fade, or split them for max stability.
Only our greatest breakthroughs are worthy of being called an R. 15 years of our groundbreaking metalwoods technologies from the #1 driver in golf have been fused with brand new innovations into a single, game-changing design. We put everything we have into the R15, so you can find out what you have—in you.

Low/Forward CG
R15_Driver_Charts_75-Low-and-Forward.png.png

Movable Weight Adjustment
R15_Driver_Charts_Sliding-Weights---All.png.png

Front Track System
R15_Driver_Charts_Front-Track-System.png.png

In Hand Photos

20150209_160214-L.jpg

20150209_160334-L.jpg

20150209_160156-L.jpg

20150209_155440-L.jpg

20150209_155810-L.jpg

20150209_155830-L.jpg

20150209_160117-L.jpg

20150209_160123-L.jpg

20150209_155858-L.jpg

20150209_155920-L.jpg

20150209_160001-L.jpg

20150209_160013-L.jpg

20150209_161135-L.jpg

20150209_161141-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent pics Danathan!

Get your TP on! There's no one better on our staff to give this one a thorough workover than you. Looking forward to thoughts buddy.

To preface, I'm quite excited about the combo. While I have found myself a bit quiet about TaylorMade's offerings, this return to white with the "R" nostalgia really returns me to the days of R11 and incredible results. Combine that with a quality shaft, MANY ways to adjust the head, and even a quality UTx grip, and I'm definitely excited to give this driver a serious workout.

Hopefully we see some improvements and it doesn't turn into the thread who must not be named.

I can't wait to see how much of a difference the weight positioning will make with the various options

Looking forward to your thoughts on it Dan. I didn't even notice how much they did move the weight forward in comparison to the SLDR till I saw that head to head comparison.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it Dan. I didn't even notice how much they did move the weight forward in comparison to the SLDR till I saw that head to head comparison.

Yeah, I'm glad they did that. It wasn't something I noticed immediately either.

Looking forward (see what I did tbere) to your thoughts. I know a lot of people are not really liking the low and forward because of forgiveness.

I will say this offering from taylormade has my attention. Definitely a throwback to the R11 series.

Very cool. While I don't need a driver I really want to hit one of these. I loved my R11 and have been looking for a suitable replacement for it since I broke it. I don't know if I could get along with one of these, but I sure do like how it looks and what I read about it. Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this.

What I found cool was that they had one of these drivers cut opened and you could see what goes into it tech wise that you don't see on the outside, the inside crown actually had what looked like honeycomb inside it.

What I found cool was that they had one of these drivers cut opened and you could see what goes into it tech wise that you don't see on the outside, the inside crown actually had what looked like honeycomb inside it.

Yeppers, one of the techniques a lot of companies are using now, maintains strength (like a honeycomb in nature) but with less weight letting that be moved elsewhere. Love it.

Has it been confirmed that the only difference between the standard and TP options is shaft (similar to the SLDR)?

Has it been confirmed that the only difference between the standard and TP options is shaft (similar to the SLDR)?

Yes.

430 Model is only available as a TP as well.

is it just me or is that "r" on the crown that indicates the sweet spot (or ball position at address) significantly toward the heel?

is it just me or is that "r" on the crown that indicates the sweet spot (or ball position at address) significantly toward the heel?

Depends how you define the the center. It's located above the middle of the face contact zone.

20150209_160430-L.jpg

Excited to hear your thoughts. All I know is when I hit this inside the sim it felt absolutely amazing.

Excited to hear your thoughts. All I know is when I hit this inside the sim it felt absolutely amazing.

Yes, that was my original experience with it as well. It wasn't giving me crazy distance numbers, but it was about a month ago and who knows with the indoor sims.

Cannot wait to hear the sound outside rather than indoors as well.

Great pics Dan. Hopefully they made some gains where the predecessor left some to be desired. Looking forward to very qualified thoughts.

Great pics Dan. Hopefully they made some gains where the predecessor left some to be desired. Looking forward to very qualified thoughts.

If they can get some additional lateral forgiveness but retain the power the SLDR had on center strikes this thing should be deadly.

Depends how you define the the center. It's located above the middle of the face contact zone.

20150209_160430-L.jpg

interesting. the second-from-the-top pic from behind the driver really looks heel-biased. maybe it's just a camera angle, or maybe i've just been staring at the screen too long!

Looking forward to your tests. From the few times I got to hit my friends, its a bomber if you hit it right

Looking forward to hearing about your thoughts on this one.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts about how you prefer the weights. Noticed Jason Day was playing them out in the "max forgiveness" settings.

interesting. the second-from-the-top pic from behind the driver really looks heel-biased. maybe it's just a camera angle, or maybe i've just been staring at the screen too long!

There is some toe depth beyond the face. That's probably what you're seeing atop the crown.

Oh man I'm salivating on this one, great pics and I can't wait to hear the continued thought on this.

Well done Dan!

Back