UK Summer Cup 2014 - Details

Ok, as requested by Linus, links for some of the local places to me

Rockliffe Hall
Ramside Hall - the new spa facilities open in June for anyone who would like to make use of them
Close House
Slaley Hall

Across the border

Roxburghe - I have never stayed here, only played golf so I have no idea on the accomodation
Cally Palace

I know it's in the early stages but do we have an approx date/month in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean so you can make sure you have had plenty of practice beforehand..... :alien:

Are we from the mainlands welcome in this? Sounds like loads of fun.

Are we from the mainlands welcome in this? Sounds like loads of fun.

The more the merrier, we have had representation from Scandanavia so if the logistics work out for you then feel free to get involved

Ok, as requested by Linus, links for some of the local places to me

Rockliffe Hall
Ramside Hall - the new spa facilities open in June for anyone who would like to make use of them
Close House
Slaley Hall

Across the border

Roxburghe - I have never stayed here, only played golf so I have no idea on the accomodation
Cally Palace

You mean so you can make sure you have had plenty of practice beforehand..... :alien:

No! Need to apply early for my pass

I can vouch for The Roxburghe - course lovely but never stayed - we got a b&b and did 5 courses up there on a borders passport deal!

Still going to push Close House - 2 courses and not too long - but brilliant!

Just noted your handicap drop El B - 19.5 down to 13.6 wow - lessons, more new gear or even more time on the course??

Just noted your handicap drop El B - 19.5 down to 13.6 wow - lessons, more new gear or even more time on the course??

He is never off the course.....

But who wants to bet that by the time the event comes round it will have crept back up a bit.....? :wink:

But who wants to bet that by the time the event comes round it will have crept back up a bit.....? :wink:
I think it's talent unleashed.. But I wouldn't bet against you!

Haha, should we see if we can get inside his head and put him off :D

Either that or he'll have to have a handicap in his bag.. Left-handed driver? (based on last year's long drive comps..)

The Doc has also been cut since last season.....

I'll let you into a little secret.... I am actually left-handed so with a little practice it might not matter :D

I'll let you into a little secret.... I am actually left-handed so with a little practice it might not matter :D
My secret is that I lowered my handicap as well..

But do start your practice!

And so it all begins....can't wait to get out for a round with everyone again

All of the above! Must update my sig. ;-)

Guaranteed!

I think it's talent unleashed.. But I wouldn't bet against you!

nah, Linus. He can't hack the pressure. ;-)

I'm not sure you want to be in here! But you are welcome any time. Let me know if you find anything. :)

So, the usual conundrums..

1. We seem to be looking at North East or the Scouse Riviera. Any strong votes for or against either?
2. Format. For those travelling, 2 days is a minimum I think. Also allows for a quiet drink one evening. :-/
3. Expensive is weekend. Cheaper is Sunday, Monday. Cheapest is midweek. Preferences?
4. Seasons. Early? April, May. Mid June, July, August. Late September, October.

Any strong preferences?

I'm relaxed about all of the above, although obviously need time to get my inoculations done if I am going North of Watford.

In terms of Euro/Viking invaders, all are welcome. Danes and Swedes have come close twice now to taking the cup. In the past, I have been happy to do 'drives', but I am afraid this year I can't. The Bandit mobile is now a two seater.

Drinking Games. These are neither big nor clever. There have been completely unfounded accusations that my retention of the Cup has been aided by careful distribution of fines. Tsk. The very thought.

Therefore, the Wise Old Golfer for the evening will be elected by his or her peers. Then I will ignore the vote and take over anyway. :)

I don't have any preference on the venue, but if it is local to me then I could possibly do an airport run if anyone needed - a lot would depend on the timings

2 days is my preferred option but beyond that I don't have any preference for which days

August could be a bit tricky depending on the dates as we are looking after the grandson for 2 weeks and our club championship is mid September

No real preferences although I think April is a little early, its the start of loads of weekly comps that qualify into matchplay knock-outs so wouldn't want to miss any of those.

Sunday/Monday's or midweek is fine for me. Our Club Champs are in July and we are on hols the first 2 weeks of August.
El B, jolly good work on the handicap

I like the sound of the Liverpool riviera but the courses we may want to play would certainly add to the cost. I'd also prefer Sun/Mon or midweek to avoid missing comps and early August is no good for me either.

Ladies, Gents and Doc.

I have made some enquiries of Close House.

This is because:

A: It is the more Northerly of choices and so will give us Southerners a chance to do the power-whining about how far we have driven and give the Northerners a chance to cuddle up in bed with their whippets for a bit longer in the morning
B: It's 15 minutes from Newcastle Airport - handy for marauding Vikings and/or other European raiders
C: It has been getting some pretty top reviews.
D: The Scouse Riviera is likely to stretch the purse strings a little (perhaps another cheeky wee event there but no Cup?)

I include the text of the response below. I had thought of getting us staying somewhere cheap and cheerful close by - but that's a no go if we are to play the big boy course.

I will point out to them that their biggest potential profit as a venue is if they can tempt us into Dinner and beer on site - so they should come up with a deal. If not - I am led to believe that the sleepy hamlet of Newcastle-upon-Tyne is well endowed with the sort of classy establishment we need for a curry and a canny pint. We even have potential interpreters in Doc, Carl and maybe even Damogean if we can tempt him out.

"I would like to let you know that to be able to play The Lee Westwood Colt Course you will need to stay with us, and the charge for this will depend on the day of the week and the time of year, but I have added some information below for you.

We can offer a Sunday Driver package which would be available from 1[SUP]st[/SUP] April until 31[SUP]st[/SUP] August 2015, arrival on a Sunday evening for 1 night and the rate would be £125.00 per person, this is inclusive of

• Overnight accommodation in one of our luxurious courtyard rooms
Images of these rooms can be found on the following link
http://www.closehouse.com/accommodation-and-dining/the-courtyard/

• Breakfast served in No.19
  • 18 holes of golf on the World’s Only Lee Westwood Filly Course
  • 18 holes of golf on the World’s Only Lee Westwood Colt Course, voted one of the top 100 golf courses of the UK
· Bag Drop off service
· Ultra sonic club cleaning complimentary service
· Complimentary shoe cleaning service
· Access to the Golf Academy and Driving Range – all items chargeable within

All meals will then be taken in No19 for both breakfast and dinner, please find attached links so you can view sample menus and prices for breakfast and dinner.

Dinner Menu http://www.closehouse.com/accommodation-and-dining/daily-dining

Breakfast Menu http://www.closehouse.com/accommodation-and-dining/breakfast-menu/"

My understanding is that these are two quality golf courses and a nice gaff to boot - £125 looks pretty decent. And you get your clubs cleaned. Ooooooooooooh. Add into that a donation for the prize fund, dinner and drinks - and I guess £200 will cover it. AND you get to spend time with Geo (desperately handsome chap that he is).

How do we feel about that as a potential plan?

[h=2]H. S. Colt, 1920[/h]The design of The Lee Westwood Colt tips its hat to the great English golf architect Harry Colt (who designed Wentworth, St Georges Hill, Sunningdale and Swinley Forest among others) While nothing is copied directly, the rectangular tees, the bunker forms, and the variety in Par threes are all features conceived from the distilled themes of this most brilliant architect.
Within the first year of the new Lee Westwood Colt course opening it was voted one of the top 100 courses in England.
Scott Macpherson (Lee Westwood Colt Course Architect)
‘The land on which you play is unique in many ways. Close to Newcastle, this Northumberland valley on the banks of the River Tyne is a property blessed with thousands of years of history. While Close House itself may date back only 250 years, prior to this the Roman Army roamed this land. In fact, the world famous ‘Hadrians Wall’ almost abuts the course itself. Don’t let that put you off, though. This golf course aims to produce the most exciting range of thrills for every level of golfer, and it requires your utmost attention.’

Well I can vouch for the course , it's awesome!!! I absolutely love it so it gets my vote!

Can I just clarify a couple things please.

We arrive and play 18 holes on Sunday afternoon (inclusive).

We have dinner (not inclusive).

Overnight accommodation (inclusive).

Breakfast (Inclusive although there is £10 next to the proper grub?).

Checkout and Play another 18 holes (Inclusive).

36 holes (over 2-days) plus B&B £125.

Dinner, alcohol & prize fund additional.

Looks a very nice course/s and the accommodation looks very plush :thumb:

Last edited:
Back