Does the price of the golf ball influence your on course decision making?

Sweethebs

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently read through the Kirkland (Costco) golf ball thread and people were raving about the price and it got me wondering does the price of the ball you play influence your behavior on the course? Let me ask it another way. If the ball you play suddenly tripled in price and there was NO substitute how does your game change, if any?

Wouldn't change my approach at all. I'll continue to play my game. Although if my cure t ball tripled in price I'd quickly find an alternative

Wouldn't change my approach at all. I'll continue to play my game. Although if my cure t ball tripled in price I'd quickly find an alternative

I would likely choose less driver and more 3 wood...maybe even a hybrid on tight fairways. I have thought about walking on a course with just 1-2 balls versus a whole bag full to see if it would cause me to focus better.

I would likely choose less driver and more 3 wood...maybe even a hybrid on tight fairways. I have thought about walking on a course with just 1-2 balls versus a whole bag full to see if it would cause me to focus better.

I will say a few times I've been down to my last ball or two with several holes left I did focus better. Could be something to knowing you don't have balls to reload if you get sideways

Only if I'm down to my last ball in a tournament, which happened only once in 1983.

I don't think it changes my approach. I already make my way around the course attempting to take every hazard possible out of play.

I would not let the cost of a ball influence how I play. If I'm gonna lose it I was meant to. Lose it. Though I may spend more time looking for an errant shot.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Doesn't effect my decision at all but I may spend a little extra time looking for a Pro V1 in the bush than a Kirkland ball at $1.35 each.

The only time it changed my approach was when I was playing the old Ping balls. I wouldn't use them on water holes and they were 4 bucks a ball and seeing that was close to half my allowance for the month I didn't want to loose them. Now I don't care and just swing away.

I would find a cheaper alternative. I'm a bargain shopper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

i have to admit yes. as it is now, i will bag a ball i am playing when i get to some holes that i know cause me problems and break out a water ball

Doesn't really change my approach. I know several balls that will work

Nope has no effect. If I can't afford to lose the ball than I really have no business gaming it.

Nope has no effect. If I can't afford to lose the ball than I really have no business gaming it.

I agree with yours and others thoughts but am wondering if one may focus and therefore play better if they were to say go up and buy the $48/dz pro v1 versus the Costco ball, which at $15 they may not give an eff if they were to swing away and it went OB?

It does not. I get in more trouble when I try to deviate from my normal game.

I've never changed my approach or club choice based off which ball I was playing. I have switched balls during a casual round if there is a chance I will lose a ball.

Does the price of the golf ball influence your on course decision making?

What got me thinking about this question was that I was recently paired with a guy who was playing his 8th round of the year. (What he told me) He shot well over 110 as he lost around a dozen balls. His comment was no biggie as the balls were cheap. Now grant you he was not playing for the PGA championship nor was he using the round to get better but he also was not happy about being so offline...though that did not stop him from using the big dog every time he could. . But what I saw was a guy that could have shot 20 strokes better. Now he clearly needs to manage the course better and understand his strengths...but his comment about the ball being cheap stuck with me.

Golf balls are a commodity and I treat them as such. I don't lose a ton of balls so my play doesn't change

Wouldn't chance anything for me!

I recently read through the Kirkland (Costco) golf ball thread and people were raving about the price and it got me wondering does the price of the ball you play influence your behavior on the course? Let me ask it another way. If the ball you play suddenly tripled in price and there was NO substitute how does your game change, if any?

It doesn't at all, as a golfer or as a tester.

Once I've paid for golf balls, I forget about it. That money is already sunk, and I buy in bulk so I'm not counting down my errors.

It doesnt for me at all

Nope, I play my ball no matter the outcome. I play my ball because it works for me. If I lose one, it's not the balls fault. Does it get expensive when I'm playing poorly, yes. But I will not opt for a different ball when playing terrible. For me I feel more confident with my normal gamer. And subconsciously I feel it helps to play what you know works.

No and if it does it is time for me to give up the game because apparently I don't have enough disposable income to be playing anyway.

no at all. I play my game, not my ball

No. I don't believe in water balls either.

Back