How was your progress for 2016 season? For me a bit dissapointing.

How was your progress for 2016 season? For me a bit dissapointing.

• very disapointed

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • somewhat disapointed

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Satsified and/or Ok for the most part

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • very satisifed

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • exceeded expectations

Votes: 15 11.9%

• Total voters

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I must say finishing my (2016 in season golf) with a 15.1 HC was certainly a let down for me. More lessons, a lot of practice time, a good amount of rounds played and yet not only did I "not" get back to what was a 12.9 at one point last year, but also finished with a 15.1 to boot. Disappointing to me for sure.

Some lesson time was short game too and while my greenside game saw improvement I still just simply cannot strike good balls well enough for long enough periods of play from tee to green without faltering too greatly.

I've always debated the importance of ball striking in the long and mid range game. I've also received a ton of backlash for insisting its every bit as important as the short game towards ones scores. Even with greenside game improvement there is simply an inability (for me) to repeat good shots from tee to green with enough consistency or at least not enough to score better through more rounds . Surly some rounds when my ball striking was good, my greenside or putting was to blame and has let me down too and Im ok if that sometimes happens but even many more rounds than that where the ball striking from the tee and on in just simply failed too greatly where as even an improved short game couldn't salvage before it was already too late. You just cant be lying 3 or 4 strokes and only then be playing a greenside game. It just doesn't work for scoring better. Your then playing for bogey or double from that point and that doesn't work.. My ball striking (or lack of consistent "good" ball striking) was often to blame.

I am disappointed with my season. As said, I had more lessons, I made even more practice efforts. While my swing is better understood, and my latest lessons proved to offer me a better swing, and when I make the good swing I can play with just about anyone, but I simply struggle to repeat that good swing enough times through an average round and so I cant play with anyone.

I enjoyed most my golf and still do but I admit I am somewhat frustrated after the efforts I made again, the resources of time and money again I put in and yet I ended up worse than last year. I understand lessons can set you back some but by years end I was hoping to finish at least close to that 12.9 I saw last year. Not that I had to beat that but just being close would have felt much better. So yea, I am disappointed.

Wanted to get to a 6 or under. Got down to a 7.2 then finished - or close to it at a 7.7. Was somewhat more consistent, but didnt have enough low rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you rollin. I started 2016 with a 14.1 and regressed to a 15.8, at one point hitting a high of nearly 18. This was mostly because I developed a really nasty hook for about 3 months that I could not shake, and led to a fairly prolonged stretch of truly atrocious golf. Luckily, I shook that about 2 or so months ago with heightened attention to my grip, and an overall slight weakening of my grip, and started playing more like how I was accustomed again. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite enough time to get the cap all the way back down, but I was at least able to get it going down again.

I did see some strides though in isolated areas of my game. On average, my putting and chipping improved this year, because I was hitting so few greens due to the hooks and I had a lot of practice. I also feel like I've made a move from a truly shameful greenside bunker player to at least a passable one - I get out of the bunker nearly every time now, where I used to leave a bunch in due to a half-baked, scared swing. I'm not getting myself in big trouble off the tee often at all, which is nice - although I'd like to hit a few more fairways. And though they were hook city for a while as previously mentioned, my grip change turned most of my iron play around and now I'm striking the ball quite well for the most part, at least with 6 or 7 iron on down.

So, it was a little bit of a grind cap-wise this year, but I still had a lot of great experiences, what with the Wilson event and my first hole-in-one ever. I feel like next year, if I can keep my grip under control and stay reasonably consistent, I'll stand a strong shot at dropping a good few strokes. I'm contemplating a few minor equipment changes (Wilson driver incoming, I may try to get a little more forgiveness in the 5 and 6 iron slots, and I'm planning on reshafting my wedges the same as my irons with Aerotechs), but otherwise trying to keep that pretty stable.

Little bit of a ramble, but it sounds like we have similar feelings at the moment. Here's to ski season! :D

I chose Very Disappointed.

I ended 2015 in a very good spot - really thought I was on the cusp of going much lower, but the season ended. Then I hurt my back, my instructor moved away, swing regression occurred and I moved to a new instructor, which ultimately meant some bigger swing changes. I ended last season shaping some shots and looking to hit zones of fairways and greens; I end this season not sure where the ball is going. My index somehow only went up .2 but it felt like a lost season.

Last edited:
Wanted to get to a 14....got to a 16.8 (ballooned up to a 19 after a few bad rounds post-lessons)....

My index and game has gone the wrong direction, I don't have enough time right now before the snow comes to right the ship, but I do have some things in mind and a plan for spring on how to circle the wagons.

My goal coming into this year was to get below a 15 from 18.2 and I'm currently at a 14.5 so I'm happy with that. I'm still struggling with consistency, but am seeing better results overall.

Probably played my least amount of golf in a long time this year, which is disappointing. I let my handicap expire, so I'm not sure exactly how my scores compare to previous years, but it feels like I got noticeably worse. Hopefully I can find the passion for golf again in 2017.

I am going with "Satsified and/or Ok for the most part"

I didn't expect to get better - I think I overachieved last season and definitely in the off season... But it's getting close to being back where i want it.

I went with Very Satisfied.

Index went from 16 to 11.9
Confident in my iron striking
Re-route is gone for the most part (tries to creep back in at some points)
Short game is better, but still awful
Won some HOF tags
2016 was a good year

I ended 2015 in a very good spot - really thought I was on the cusp of going much lower, but the season ended. Then I hurt my back, my instructor moved away, swing regression occurred and I moved to a new instructor, which ultimately meant some bigger swing changes. I ended last season shaping some shots and looking to hit zones of fairways and greens; I end this season not sure where the ball is going. My index somehow only went up .2 but it felt like a lost season.

Well, at least you have some excuse other than just inability to strike enough good balls...lol
Of course sorry about the back.
Fwiw I posted a thread a while back about feeling opposite of whats actually happening. Feeling good about your game even though the scores are not good and also feeling somewhat poorly about your game even though the scores are good. Funny how golf does this and a lot of responses agreed that happens. I think its all part of how some people feel there are no style points and only score that counts is what the card says. I don't agree with that and i think how we got our scores does matter and affects how we feel about our play. Surley in a competition it doesn't matter but it does matter to us personally. I think it has to and is why many do feel they may not be so satisfied even though the score was good.

I picked satisfied/OK. My index is down to 15.4 which I am pretty pleased with. I hit a few of my other goals; finally broke 40 on 9 holes. I still have ample room for improvement with ball striking, FIR% & GIR%. Played a fair amount too which was good; not sure how much I'll be playing next year. All in all it was a good year.

Very satisfied for me. Went from a 23 to a 19.6. Played a lot and practiced a ton in the sprig and summer. Took lessons for the first time which helped immensely.
Feel like I played smarter overall. Driver has become more consistent and I learned to hit a hybrid/fairway wood. Short game stayed solid. Putting is probly the biggest improvement for me.
Last month or so hasn't been great for me with 2 new jobs and craziness.
I am super excited about golf for me in 2017. It all starts now for me with lifting and then taking some lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I probably played 20-25 rounds this year at most. I am sure my game is worse, but I don't know. Didn't keep a handicap.

Searching for the passion to get out and play anymore because it just really isn't there. I used to long for the weekends so I could get 36 in, now I have played one time in the last 4+ months and don't even feel the desire to go swing a golf club.

My summer I definitely improved and I was playing consistently par or better for 3 weeks or so. Then I lost it a bit before school when I played in the John Deere Pre-Qualifier. After that I headed down to school and slowly lost my swing and was back to the mid to upper 70s. Have been hitting the gym really hard since the beginning of October and took some time off of golf (about 3 weeks off of golf). First time back at the range yesterday and I can feel my speed is back and I can't wait for the off season. So yes, my season was pretty crummy but I'm headed back in the right direction. Spring season matters the most.

I went with exceeded expectations because my HDCP dropped below a range I thought I was capable of achieving.

Lately I've hit a bad spot with my game, so the HDCP will be climbing. But it was nice to get it down that low.

It was definitely a tough summer for me golf wise, but it has trending up over the last month or so. Handicap went up significantly, but I am finally seeing progress and my confidence is returning.

I will say that my health is 100 times better then where it was at this time last year and that has been more important. I also think it is going to pay dividends to my golf game in 2017.

So while 2016 was a slight step back, it has been a very good year.

I was actually between OK/Satisfied and Very Satisfied. I started the year at a 22.4 and I have dropped down to an 18.1 as of this last round. I feel my iron game has improved a great deal, but I still have those "what the heck just happened" moments too often. My driving as been hot and cold. For example, last round I didn't hit a single fairway with my driver on the front 9. On the 2nd nine I didn't miss a single fairway with it. I think that if I can ever get the driver more consistent and finally start getting out of bunkers I can get down to a 15 or so.

I'm actually pretty satisfied. I was able to get below my all time low handicap after struggling so much earlier this year. I'd have liked to go lower, but also understand that I really haven't committed the time this year to make that happen. Going to try and be active this offseason so I can keep the momentum going!

Exceeded with 2016.

Driving it longer and straighter than ever before. Broke 70. Received new shafts for all my clubs that are making a big difference. Handicap lowest it's been in years.

I went with Very Satisfied.

Index went from 16 to 11.9
Confident in my iron striking
Re-route is gone for the most part (tries to creep back in at some points)
Short game is better, but still awful
Won some HOF tags
2016 was a good year
Nice job Mike!!

I went with Mostly Satisfied, as I went from a 23 at the start to 18.3 as of today. Most of that drop came in May and June. I went up and down a point or so the rest of the summer. When it got so hot in July/August I stopped practicing as much.

My goal at the beginning of the year was to get to and play to a consistent 17. But for the lack of work I put in late in the year, I couldn't expect too much more.

I came within one stroke of obtaining one goal I set in December. When I started the new job at the course last November, my first round here was 105 a couple weeks later...YIKES...I set a goal of beating that by 20 shots by the end of the year. The closest i came was an 86 in June. But I felt pretty good about knocking those 19 strokes off from a worst to best of the year.

I am going with "Satsified and/or Ok for the most part"

I didn't expect to get better - I think I overachieved last season and definitely in the off season... But it's getting close to being back where i want it.

I would say now is a good time to be peaking :)

In terms of progress I went with somewhat disappointed, though, to be fair, the state of my game is a reflection of the lack of time I have to play and practice rather than me putting in the time to get better and not seeing results.

Looking back on 2016 overall I would say it's been a great year in that I've been part of 3 THP events and my Dad and I won his Member-Guest Tournament.

I exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. My game is in as good of shape as it has been in quite sometime with very little effort spent at the range. I am really just having fun out there and my swing is easy and relaxed. This has lead to better scores and even another HOF tag. Too bad snow could fall at anytime.

Handicap went from 9.8 to 7.2, so I was pleased with that. I didn't play as well as I wanted to in the tournaments that I participated in, so I want to improve that in 2017. The amount of golf I played this year was down from 2015, but I made progress on my game, so that was fun.

It has been kind of a mixed year for me. I had some great rounds with scores into the 70s and then the next time out I struggle to shoot 90. There are times when it feels like it is all coming together and then like I've forgotten how to play.

Back