How was your progress for 2016 season? For me a bit dissapointing.

• very disapointed

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • somewhat disapointed

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Satsified and/or Ok for the most part

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • very satisifed

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • exceeded expectations

Votes: 15 11.9%

• Total voters
Exceeded expectations for me. Broke par for the first time ever with a 71, had my first hole in one, and achieved my all time low handicap a few months ago at 3.9. Have been more consistent scoring wise this year than in years past.

I voted satisfied, but only because I missed 6 months of play/practice due to a hand injury. I'm very satisfied considering the short amount of time I've actually had to work on my swing/game this year.

I was playing OK till the end of May, when my back began acting up. Long story short, had a large synovial cyst removed from my back, major spine fusion, some disk clean-up, and laminectomy in late August. No golf till next August unless I have a miraculous mending.

Overall satisfied with my year but there's always room for improvement. Prior to this year I hadn't kept a hc in 2 years. Was a 18.4 when I stopped keeping track. As of update this am I'm a 12.9. Will travel fairly well as long as I don't play from a stupid yardage (6600 plus.) Driver has become less of a liability and is an asset when it's on. Goal next year is to go sub 12.

2016 was a great year mostly because I more than doubled the amount of golf I played. I should hit 100 rounds this month which is about 65 rounds more than I've averaged since my first was born in 1998.

Although my scoring barely came down, my ball striking did improve as I made the first real attempt at changing my swing in 25 years. My putting mechanics are also getting more consistent but I need to now focus on the mental side of the putting game and hopefully cut a stroke or two off my average putts per round next year. The new irons and specifically, switching to the X100 AMT shafts last month, was something that has really tightend up my dispersion inside of 165 yards. I'm more optomistic about my chances of getting better than I have been in decades.

Wanted to get to a 5 from a 10. Got to 7.3 so a little more than half way there. So I voted very satisfied since I made good progress

Wanted to get to a 5 from a 10. Got to 7.3 so a little more than half way there. So I voted very satisfied since I made good progress

Pretty darn good considering you battled some "issues" for a month in the early summer. If you play a few more rounds per year you absolutely will get down to the 5 range.

Very dissapointing. Played the year with an elbow injury My scores and swing were very inconsistent. First round I came out on fire and everything was great shot and 80 then it was downhill. Mid September the pain finally went way but I made so many compensations I'm still trying to get my swing back.

I had a great year - Found clubs that fit ME - which is a major challenge to a golfer.
Dropped my HDCP 5 strokes.

and best of all - I have gone from "Military Mark" to "Mr. Fairway" to my friends.
I'm no longer the laughing stock of my golfing group.
more work to be done however I'm really happy with my progress.

Satisfied considering I missed a month and probably more with other factors going on.

I can't see the poll on tapatalk.
I would say that I met and exceeded expectations and am satisfied overall. My only goal not attained was a HOF tag, but I only had one opportunity (and played my worst golf of the year during that stretch).
Handicap is my lowest - 7.5 currently. Played some great golf, personal best score this year. Only had two lessons and still working on a slight swing change. Short game still bad but improving. Putting is steady with room for improvement.
Maybe golf goals need to be realistic. If you only play 40 rounds, it's tough for a handicap to move much - so a 5 point drop is not realistic. If you are changing your swing and don't practice much, any handicap drop is unrealistic, as scores are likely to rise while going thru swing changes.

EDIT - Poll choice is very satisfied!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe golf goals need to be realistic. If you only play 40 rounds, it's tough for a handicap to move much - so a 5 point drop is not realistic. If you are changing your swing and don't practice much, any handicap drop is unrealistic, as scores are likely to rise while going thru swing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 rounds? A HC sure can move a decent amount imo. Everyone is different and also depends how much practice one puts in too. 40 rounds may be little to many but that's not exactly little golf at all. Thats playing at least once per week for a place that has a season and actually many times twice per week. That for many people is a nice chunk of golf imo and enough to move a cap 5 points imo. I did it last year over 4 points. In fact down about 4.5 and then up 2 or so.

For one who may be a feast./famine type of player a cap can move quite a bit. A 97 and a 94 go on while a 87 and an 88 go off. A period of 5 poorly (famine) played rounds goes on and bam your up some points. Throw in a good one but two more bad ones and there ya go. Or simply play where as a hanful of your best rounds get posted while a chunck of worst ones fall off. Its not so hard imo. Hard to be consistent at golf of course ..lol but not too hard to move a cap through 40 rounds for one who is inconsistent.

Last edited:
I will say somewhat satisfied. I got thru the year pain free and without further injuries, but didn't get much golf time. Every round since the summer, my handicap has dropped and I'm really excited for the 2017 season.
I still have time before the end of the year to work on my game, working in South Florida has its advantages.
I didn't get to practice like I wanted to this year and definitely didn't play as much as I would have liked, but things are looking good going forward.

I chose very satisfied. I improved in every major area this season, with personal bests set in score, putts/gir, GIR, FIR, and handicap. I dropped my average score by more than 2 strokes and kept my handicap around a point lower than the previous season, which marks the third straight season that Ive managed to do that.

I also played in 2 more THP events, met piles more great THPers, and popped my Vegas cherry because of it.

Low points are that I had a bad season in mens club and tournaments and failed to snag a HOF tag, as well as developing a case of the shanks and slices over the last 2 months of the season. I managed to score decently through that rough patch, which is another positive.

It all adds up to lots of confidence going into next season, and I expect to continue my improvement.

It was a very good year.

I went with exceeded expectations. I got to play a lot more golf than I have in quite a few years. It started out good, especially my driving. I had a bit of a slump mid summer, no consistency in any part of my game, but that has rebounded to better consistency than I have ever had. Several PB's this year, both score wise and stat wise. The weather has been great to get in some late season golf as well.

I went with somewhat disappointed. Probably should have said very disappointed. My goal was to get below a 15 this year, and I ended at 16.8. I'm striking the ball well and my short game is improved thanks to lessons, but it hasn't translated to better scores yet. I need to make a commitment over the winter to focus on certain things to get better.

Great thread, I've enjoyed reading the responses, great work to some of you. To those that have regressed, keep up the good fight and you'll get it!

I am quite happy with my year, started 2016 at a 6.1 and really in a funk with my swing. Got a lesson early in the season and worked hard in the simulator to be ready to hit the ground running in spring. Got my handicap as low as a 3.4 in July, lowest it's ever been in my life. I had some great play and it just kept up, capping that off was my first ever hole in one. On the same day I posted my personal best tournament score (73) and confidence was at an all time high. Took a trip to Washington/Oregon to play Sahalee CC, Chambers Bay, Pumpkin Ridge then Bandon Dunes. The trip with great, but with the difficult courses my confidence took a bit of a hit. Came back home and good play continued but the handicap rose some, ended the year at a 4.8 which is really good for me. I feel like I can go play to my handicap just about each time I tee it up, so I'm hoping the progress continues next year!

I was very happy with how my season went, I improved quite a bit and actually started having drives I could play. Brought my scores down a good amount and just enjoyed playing golf.

I enjoyed most my golf and still do but I admit I am somewhat frustrated after the efforts I made again, the resources of time and money again I put in and yet I ended up worse than last year. I understand lessons can set you back some but by years end I was hoping to finish at least close to that 12.9 I saw last year. Not that I had to beat that but just being close would have felt much better. So yea, I am disappointed.

This is my first season, I started playing last Thanksgiving....so almost a year now. My only disappointment is not breaking 80 yet. I tried it again yesterday and got 85.

I made....IDK how many.....maybe 18-20 or more literally awesome shots yesterday. I mean pro level. From awesome drives and putts, to hitting the pin on an approach shot...just great. Unfortunately, I had about 4 or 5 truly terrible shots...like OOB off the tee. Hit the ground first instead of the ball....that kind of thing. That's why I can't break 80 now, it's the inconsistency.

Overall though.....loving the game and am very happy with my progress so far.

This is my first season, I started playing last Thanksgiving....so almost a year now. My only disappointment is not breaking 80 yet. I tried it again yesterday and got 85.

I made....IDK how many.....maybe 18-20 or more literally awesome shots yesterday. I mean pro level. From awesome drives and putts, to hitting the pin on an approach shot...just great. Unfortunately, I had about 4 or 5 truly terrible shots...like OOB off the tee. Hit the ground first instead of the ball....that kind of thing. That's why I can't break 80 now, it's the inconsistency.

Overall though.....loving the game and am very happy with my progress so far.

Wow, playing just about only one year and talking of 80 and better. Just wow...lucky you for being blesses with this game coming easier to you than most people. I find these things amazing how some people can pick up this sport and run with it like nobodys business. Wish I could say the same. But hey...good for you :)

I feel like I can go play to my handicap just about each time I tee it up, so I'm hoping the progress continues next year!

Well.....technically you can never play to your cap because its always one step ahead ..lol
Anytime anyone says they always play to their cap, its impossible. It will simply move ahead before you can ever catch it.

But humor aside, glad your feeling good about your game and good post.

I went with very satisfied.

I probably didn't improve my short game quite as much as I wanted, but it definitely improved. And playing a much harder course regularly definitely increased my consistency with both my driver and my irons. The consistency showed up in my handicap, which is currently a 2.3--the lowest I've ever been. I also finally got to a point where I feel like my handicap travels. I finished off the year (for handicap purposes) with two rounds in Scottsdale at what I thought were relatively hard courses that I'd never played before and shot 75-75. In the past, whenever my handicap has been low, it's been built on wide-open easier courses and I never managed to put together what I considered a good score at tougher courses. The one thing I didn't really do this year was put together a really low round. I had a few chances, but never had everything click on the same day. Next year, I need to work on finishing off good rounds.

I'm satisfied, figured out how to let golf just happen. Playing better than I have in 20 years. I'm playing irons I didn't think I had game for. I'm putting better than I ever have because I tried a style of putter I always avoided. My wedge plays is a strength in my game when I was once the weakness.

My only regret is I didn't play enough golf with some of my closest people on THP

I went with somewhat disappointed. I have had several lessons, lots of time on the range and extra work, and my cap is right where it was when I started the year.

I am struggling with the same issues I had at the beginning of the year, and everytime I think I break through it is fools gold and I fall back into the same issues.

Several times I have thought about putting the clubs away for a while but then I miss it and go back. I will get my swing figured out, and I am determined to do it this year. Still have 2 months to go, so I will keep at it.

Little bit of a ramble, but it sounds like we have similar feelings at the moment. Here's to ski season! :D

Forgot to respond to this earlier. Yes getting the skis out to be tuned soon. Just hope I'll have the disposable cash, the time and most of all the snow to put in some good ski days this year :)

Back