2016-2017 College Basketball Thread

rickterp

Reaction score
Handicap
17.1 GHIN
Hoop season is about to start in earnest; exhibitions this weekend and the regular season starts next Friday on Veteran's Day. Both AP and Coaches preseason poll's are out:

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

My alma mater lost a fair amount but has pretty good recruiting class mixing with experienced role players and Melo, so I have no idea if they will be any good or just okay. B1G is fairly wide open but I think Wisconsin, IU and MSU are probably the three best teams. Not quite sold on Purdue due to the play of their guards.

Duke, KU, & UK appear to have the best rosters to start the year. Although Duke has some significant injuries to overcome early, I think should they get healthy they will end up with the best team this year with their blend freshman talent and experience from Allen, Jones & Jefferson.

Anybody else looking forward to the season?

I am excited to watch UT under Shaka again this year. I think they will contend for the Big 12 Championship this year.

I'm headed to a practice and autograph session tonight with my son for the Nebraska Men's Team, can't wait to check this year's team out.

Hoop season is about to start in earnest; exhibitions this weekend and the regular season starts next Friday on Veteran's Day. Both AP and Coaches preseason poll's are out:

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

My alma mater lost a fair amount but has pretty good recruiting class mixing with experienced role players and Melo, so I have no idea if they will be any good or just okay. B1G is fairly wide open but I think Wisconsin, IU and MSU are probably the three best teams. Not quite sold on Purdue due to the play of their guards.

Duke, KU, & UK appear to have the best rosters to start the year. Although Duke has some significant injuries to overcome early, I think should they get healthy they will end up with the best team this year with their blend freshman talent and experience from Allen, Jones & Jefferson.

Anybody else looking forward to the season?

I think your team will surprise some folks this season (Yeah I'm a tad bit bias lol). They have a good mix of new blood and some solid leadership. They lost a ton but I think they will be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I will go out on a limb similar to last season and predict a Conference title for KU. Might even go with them to win the conference tournament too. I know, it's a real stretch but I think they will surprise all the doubters.

No talk in here yet? Great start to the season last night with those 2 games in Hawaii. Maybe IU will survive without Yogi...

Less then 4 months till MM in Vegas. Let the season begin.

My daughter and I are headed to our first game of the season tomorrow, can't wait to see how this year's squad of Huskers is gonna look like.

Terps - Hoyas took a few years off my life last night. Great comeback though. I will say the officiating was exceptionally poor for both teams; the game had zero flow and the refs were inconsistent possession to possession, which makes it very hard on the players.

Saw that KU came back to edge Duke; looked like a great finish!

Terps - Hoyas took a few years off my life last night. Great comeback though. I will say the officiating was exceptionally poor for both teams; the game had zero flow and the refs were inconsistent possession to possession, which makes it very hard on the players.

Saw that KU came back to edge Duke; looked like a great finish!

Yeah that was a crazy ending to that game last night. I will take that 2-0 start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ND has Beachem and Bonzi as their players this year. I don't know if the team can get to the elite 8 for the third year in a row, but they should be decent. Big tournie coming up next week in Brookly and they'll face Colorado and then the either Northwestern/Texas. That should give a pulse on their potential.

Texas Aggies aren't going to win the SEC like last year, but I will be shocked if they don't contend pretty deep based on the post game. We have three really strong guys down in the post, but the guards are missing two NBA guys for sure.

Oklahoma finally beat Clemson! Too bad it was in basketball.

Alabama in a close one with Oregon.

Well... Ah well.

I was really hopeful early that Michigan might get back to the glory days with Beilein, but meh.

I was really hopeful early that Michigan might get back to the glory days with Beilein, but meh.
He has a final four, 2 big 10 regular season titles, and been to the dance 6 out of the last 9 years. This year's team will be another tournament team. He has had one of the best runs in Michigan hoop history.

He has a final four, 2 big 10 regular season titles, and been to the dance 6 out of the last 9 years. This year's team will be another tournament team. He has had one of the best runs in Michigan hoop history.

Yeah, my expectations were probably too high after 2 Big 10 championships, a NC apperance, and Elite 8 apperance in 3 years. Just seems to be headed in the wrong direction, and I don't consider just being a tournament team to be a success, again probably too high of expectations.

Yeah, my expectations were probably too high after 2 Big 10 championships, a NC apperance, and Elite 8 apperance in 3 years. Just seems to be headed in the wrong direction, and I don't consider just being a tournament team to be a success, again probably too high of expectations.
I just don't see that if they let Belien go they get anyone better. I do think this years team will be a sweet 16 team and there is a solid foundation for the future.

Terps are definitely giving us fans heart attacks through the early season. Will be up and down with such a young team. Guessing middle of the pack in the B10. Living in Omaha, I follow Creighton as well and they have looked solid so far this season. Have a nice team that could go deep in March. I'm ready for conference seasons to get going.

I just don't see that if they let Belien go they get anyone better. I do think this years team will be a sweet 16 team and there is a solid foundation for the future.

I don't think so either, but at the same time just don't see them getting over the hump with him. Blame who you want, but he can only do so much without any 5 star recruits, and the one he got recently hasn't lived up to hopes.

So you are going to blame Beilien for turning around a program and basically getting you guys to heights that havent been seen since the Fab 5? What he has done at Michigan should give him a lifetime pass unless he punches a player or something.

He is literally one of the best coaches in all of college basketball. Take a poll of people that actually know what is going on and they would all put him up there.
Losing guys like Stauskas, Robinson, Trey Burke, Hardaway,McGary early doesnt help building a program. Or basically not having Levert last year Michigan is not Duke, Kansas, Kentucky where they are going to stock up on 5 star recruits every year. Losing a one and done or two and done guy makes it tough to replace (especially if they were not planning on that player developing at that rate). He has to mix those type of guys with developmental 4 year guys that can grow over a period of time. They lost to UCLA at UCLA, which is a super tough game for anyone in the country. Plus he is probably one of the few guys that does it the right way recruiting wise (I am not saying he is an angel, because every coach at that level is bending rules).
Fans need to get perspective and not immediately look to fire a guy after a down year or 2. Absolutely sickening to me where sports culture is heading and the impact of the social media/college message board mindset.

Sorry for the rant, but this stuff just bugs me.

Umm, not sure where I called for his firing? Actually even agreed that they couldn't do better if they did?

Chris Holtmann is doing an awesome job at Butler. Not a blue blood program but they punch above their weight almost every year. One more nice win tonight against a top ten ranked team with what many consider to have a better pedigree.........Butler gonna Butler

Edit: Props also to Creighton & Xavier. Two other mid-major small school mid-western programs that have made a place for themselves in what may be the best b-ball conference in the country....

Someone has some splainin to do.
a91ae829dfe3cc171bbd55022a115ef9.jpg

Back