Help with Driver Smash Factor

Kuestone

Reaction score
Handicap
[FONT=&quot]I went in to test my driver numbers using a GC2 because I felt I was not reaching my max potential on the course. It looks like my swing speed is not correct for my ball speed, and my smash factor is incredibly low. I am a 0.8 handicap and the driver is an m1 460, with Fujikura speeder evolution 757 Ts stiff shaft. I hit the ball square 9/10 times, is the issue my shaft flex? Should I tipp it? or Go x-stiff? Or is it something else?
Thank you
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]20 swing Averages[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Swing speed 122.5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ball speed 149.5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Efficiency 1.22[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Launch angle 13.5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Azimuth 8.5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Side spin 544L[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Backspin 1573[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total spin 1717[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peak height 26[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Descent 30[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carry 251[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total 284[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Offline 7[/FONT]

You either badly missed every swing, or their settings were jacked up or maybe couldn't handle your ss. 122.5 ss carrying the ball 251 is leaving a lot on the table.

Have you ever had your ss measured before? What are your typical numbers on the course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[FONT="]I went in to test my driver numbers using a GC2 because I felt I was not reaching my max potential on the course. It looks like my swing speed is not correct for my ball speed, and my smash factor is incredibly low. I am a 0.8 handicap and the driver is an m1 460, with Fujikura speeder evolution 757 Ts stiff shaft. I hit the ball square 9/10 times, is the issue my shaft flex? Should I tipp it? or Go x-stiff? Or is it something else?
Thank you
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]20 swing Averages[/FONT]

[FONT="]Swing speed 122.5[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]Ball speed 149.5[/FONT]

[FONT="][B]Efficiency 1.22[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]Launch angle 13.5[/FONT]

[FONT="]Azimuth 8.5[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]Side spin 544L[/FONT]

[FONT="]Backspin 1573[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]Total spin 1717[/FONT]

[FONT="]Peak height 26[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]Descent 30[/FONT]

[FONT="]Carry 251[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]Total 284[/FONT]

[FONT="]Offline 7[/FONT]

Take the machine off the iron setting and back to driver. And try again.

Pretty sure that gc2 is set up to hit wedges or something high lofted.

Typically my swing speed is 108 with a 3 wood, and my driver ranges around 110-120 when I play for accuracy and control off the tee. When I was warming up I was swinging at 105-110 and the smash factor was around 1.4. Then going after it, Isaw the drop in efficiency, which makes me wonder if I need an X-stiff shaft now, because I was making great contact on the driver face, and flight was a right to left draw. Just awful ball speed.

Typically my swing speed is 108 with a 3 wood, and my driver ranges around 110-120 when I play for accuracy and control off the tee. When I was warming up I was swinging at 105-110 and the smash factor was around 1.4. Then going after it, Isaw the drop in efficiency, which makes me wonder if I need an X-stiff shaft now, because I was making great contact on the driver face, and flight was a right to left draw. Just awful ball speed.

If you're close to scratch, there's basically no way that you're realistically having a 1.22 smash with a driver. GC2 only measures ball speed. It uses a fixed number for smash factor to calculate the clubhead speed. I take lessons from an pro that teaches indoors and he uses GC2 all the time. All I focus on is ball speed in that situation. If you really want to get into what your smash factor is, then you need to find a Trackman or Flightscope monitor to get onto because they measure things differently than GC2.

When your setup on the GC2, and you "change clubs" on the monitor, will that affect the data reading? Or is that just to identify a new club with a new color?

If thats the case then Maybe I had picked a random iron when I was swinging my driver

When your setup on the GC2, and you "change clubs" on the monitor, will that affect the data reading? Or is that just to identify a new club with a new color?

If thats the case then Maybe I had picked a random iron when I was swinging my driver

Yes it will. But like ayrdolphin said, the ball speed shouldn't change a whole lot, if any.

Example... I was testing out a new 917 driver on a GC2. It was showing clubhead speed in the low 120's and ball speed in the mid 160's, which I knew wasn't right considering I wasn't swinging for the fences. I looked at the machine and it was set up for an iron. I changed it to driver, cleared the previous swings and tried again. Clubhead speed came down to the normal 111-114 I'm used to seeing on that type of monitor, and ball speed stayed in the mid 160's.

Ballspeed is correct but smash factor is a setting in the software programs paired with GC2. So take the ball speed and divide it by optimal smash factor for a driver (~1.48) and your club head speed is right around 100 mph. Your smash factor could actually be a little lower which would put your club head speed closer to 105.

Launch, spin, and carry are good and that carry is spot on for 100-105 mph club head speed.

You could probably increase carry a little by increasing the launch angle or your attack angle.

6507.tmcarry.jpg

Like others are saying, the monitor isn't set up correctly. What kinds of carry/total yards do you typically see on the course? Those spin and launch numbers are not really indicative of poor strikes. Perhaps it's over reading your club speed, or more likely under reading your ball speed based off being programmed for a short iron.

Get a 75g X Flex...it will transfer more 'kahoones' to the ball with your SS. Actually tip it 1/2 inch too!

My teaching pro uses GC2 with HMT and when looking at the results I see differing smash factor values, so something isn't right with the situation the OP had

That's my point. With HMT, I don't think GC2 will give correct/accurate smash factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back